Railcraft/TE/IC2 Infinite Lava Centrifuge (aka free gold, iron and tin)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
With lava blade slaying and drops that wash into an obsidian pipe, or turtles for slaying and drops into the pipe, excess to void or a lava hole the trick becomes mantaining a steady villager count, rather then an unlimited count. A much harder design chalenge then just an unlimited villager breeder.

(I'm looking for one with a way to catch each villager, alone, for trading booths)

But there is a design out there that works in public distribution. The trick comes to making it work better via mods.
Try picking them up with a portal gun.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I would stay away from Iron Golem Farms. They're not easy to put an off-switch on due to the way villagers work, and they do not despawn. On singleplayer they risk overpopulating and lagging your game until you can get to them and kill them, and on servers the danger is even worse. Now, with FTB there are a few ways to have the kill device always on and automatically collect their drops, but then you're risking overflow rather than overpopulation. There are too many ways for an Iron Golem farm to go wrong.

Villagers dont reproduce if there are no doors to support it. The only way they still can is if you create an infinite breeding setup. A standard golem cell can never have this going on and is 100% save. Additionally, lava blades can easely be turned on 24/7 automaticly killing the golems and drops can be flushed into a lava pool. Nothing collects to great numbers, no lag at all. Best part, no FTB needed for anny of it, 100% vanilla. You also wont have to worry about villagers dying as you can savely box them in with no outside acces. They dont even need to be able to touch a door for them to count as being in a village.

As Icountfrom0 said, the challange isnt making a save iron golem farm. Its upgrading it with the mods. World anchors would allow for more cells to be active, drop collection systems would remove the need for a lava pit, mystcraft portals could quickly transport the golems to a central location. Additionally if you could make a detection system for chest overflow you could utilize mystcraft portals, dispencers and wooden pressure plates to create long distance redstone signals to disable the golem spawns by blocking the spawning cells exit. Or even cooler, sand & portals :) And those are just of the top of my head :p

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it's new for the 1.4.5 version, but you can just pump lava directly into a centrifuge which allows a MUCH simpler design. After building your machine, I took out all the now unnecessary stuff and I'm running 4 centrifuges powered directly from geothermal generators and supplying from a lava pumping station in the nether. I'm enjoying watching the lava ocean level drop as well :)

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a ss of my updated design:

My lava pumping station:

The centrifuge interface:

Kind of makes the rail system unnecessary, but was still good to build for a learning experience :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
That will certainly make things interesting in the future. Does the industrial electrolizer have a similar recipe, or is it through just this method? Either way, still is pretty much free resources.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
That will certainly make things interesting in the future. Does the industrial electrolizer have a similar recipe, or is it through just this method? Either way, still is pretty much free resources.

It has a slot for water. Haven't tried it yet.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Note that due to recent changes to Industrialcraft, this design may no longer work.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
If you still want iron from your lava in the new version you can do something like this (using whatever sorting system you prefer):
index.php

Lava from the magma crucibles gets sent to igneous extruders set to create obsidian (I have four extruders feeding into a hopper that feeds the first macerator in this picture. Edit: which may or may not be displaying correctly? It shows up some of the time for me).
The obsidian gets run through two macerators in a row to create obsidian dust, which is sent to an industrial electrolyzer.
Output from that is split three ways:
Iron and magnesium dusts are sent straight to the output (in this case, the leftmost chest). You could add more processing here if you wanted (for example, running the iron dust through an electric furnace to get ingots).
Compressed air is sent to an autocrafting table to be emptied, and the empty cells are sent back to the electrolyzer. The diamond chest used here for the crafting table's input is massive overkill, there aren't more than a stack of cells in the system at a time, so the chest only needs to hold one stack.
Silicon cells are sent to the industrial blast furnace, which sends the empty cells back to the electrolyzer and the silicon plates to the output. The furnace uses all standard casings with two lava in the center, which provides just enough heat capacity to make silicon plates.

End result: every 8 lava generated creates one magnesium dust, one iron dust, and one silicon plate. Empty cells are conserved, so you can just feed it a stack or so to get it started and let it run without needing to add more. You can easily add this in parallel to a centrifuge setup so the lava is divided between them to get tin, copper, electrum, and tungsten output as well.