Radioactive Bees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Saryy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,
so I have absolutely no idea how bees actually work. My question is, is it possible to build/breed a setup that produces uranium every ten seconds? I understand that it would be quite high end stuff, probably have to built some kind of factory for those frames. Anyways, is that build-able? (of course it is, but i don't want it to be wall of hundreds apiaries).
Thanks for answers

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For starters, alvearies are your friends for this kind of stuff. They're much better than apiaries and, unless you add blocks for frames, don't need them for a good speed. That said frames are automateable with alvearies. Next you would want to make sure your bees work all the time and produce stuff quickly. For that part you'll want to get into innoculation but I'm not very familiar with the higher end stuff regarding bees outside of videos.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Simple answer: No.

The standard bee tick is about 30 seconds (32?), which is the time at which the game checks to see whether anything should be produced. Even of you give is a 100% production rate (using fastest speed and 8 frames, I think), the best that you are going to get is a comb every 30 seconds. And, I don't think that you get 1 uranium per comb (don't know the percentages, but 10-20% chance of uranium from a comb sounds about right). If you have the space, and the time to set up the princesses, a wall of apiaries would probably be the best bet. Throw a router on one side to pull out, and another to insert the drones and princesses, and the automation is quite simple, as it is for any large-scale bee production.

Personally, with something like this, I'd be looking for an X-Y problem. What are you doing that's needing 1 uranium every 10 seconds? Do you have a breeder reactor to optimize the uranium use? (from 1 cell per bar to 7-8 cells, plus recycling). Have you looked at the large-scale continuous mining systems?

Bees are a great resource-gathering tool, but probably not the best for powering a large-scale town or similar.

Saryy

Jul 29, 2019
Well I've almost finished with building new GT fusion reactor and I need to supply enough scrap-like items to 6 matter fabricators at full speed. I could build a buttload of recyclers to produce scrap (I'd need aprox 20 every second) and my world is already laggy enough :D. So i thought that bee setup for uranium (200 times more efficient than scrap) would be more original and I wanted to look into bees for a while now. I know I'd take a while to discover all the species etc, until I get to the some boosted radioactive ones, but I just wanted to know if it has a point or the result will be same lag machine as recyclers.

Saryy

Jul 29, 2019
Why the he'll do you need 6 matter fabs?
The question isn't if i need them. Nobody NEEDs them, hell nobody needs the fusion reactor. The thing is, after i complete it, I'd be producing about 36 UU per minute - that equals to pretty much anything I want, quite an achievement imho. I'll consider GT/IC2 finished after that and I'll move on to something else, Thaumcraft maybe or those bees or build some crazy forestry farms, I don't know, but that's the way I play this game.

Use enderpearl dust from an ender man farm
I don't really like spawners, I consider them quite op. I might use it in the end - just to prevent lag - but only as an last solution.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Why the he'll do you need 6 matter fabs?
because matter fab is limited to 8k eu/t. if i remember correctly the chance for radioactive comb to be centrifuged into uranium is 50%.you will just need more alvearies to have required supply

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
because matter fab is limited to 8k eu/t. if i remember correctly the chance for radioactive comb to be centrifuged into uranium is 50%.you will just need more alvearies to have required supply

If you're looking at sustained production, an alveary-shaped construction of apiaries services by a router will get more output than an alveary. The only issue is that you'd need to imprint the correct number of princesses to get it done properly. This is if you are not using frame blocks, etc.

The reasoning is:
Alveary is 27 alveary blocks, with 100% production. Apiraies are 10% production. Filling the space with apiaries gets 270% production.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If you're looking at sustained production, an alveary-shaped construction of apiaries services by a router will get more output than an alveary. The only issue is that you'd need to imprint the correct number of princesses to get it done properly. This is if you are not using frame blocks, etc.

The reasoning is:
Alveary is 27 alveary blocks, with 100% production. Apiraies are 10% production. Filling the space with apiaries gets 270% production.

That would require a lot of princesses and still be slower than an alveary with frame blocks (not sure if in the older versions or not). With alvearies you can automate the input of frames and from what I gather you should be able to have 16 frames per alveary for an extra 320% speed for a total of...420% /sigh.

Derp, not quite how the frame housings work. It doubles the chances of output, so if something has a 1% chance to produce an item in a cycle it would be up to 2% for 1 frame, 4% for 2 frames, 8% for 3 frames, etc.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
i net about 2500-3000 uranium a day from two max-bred radioactive bee alvearies. they are with frames from an oak multifarm and a chestnut orchard multifarm, which significant leftover and overproduction of frames. just scale up from there.

i think your calculations are wrong. one uranium dust produces 6 uum, so you need to multiply the uum production times 6 before dividing by the number of fabs (6). If i recall, its like a minute or a minute and a half, theres no way you should need one uranium every 10 seconds. i run two matter fabs full throttle and theres a significant oversupply of uranium from two max efficiency alvearies.

according to my calculations, you should only need 1000-1500 uranium a day to fully operate 6 matter fabs. this is acheivable with one or two high efficiency alvearies.

for the suggestion regarding breeders, late game breeders are worse than bees because of coal. you end up spending twice the insane tin cost in coal, which is both expensive in UU and not easily bee-able unless I'm missing a species. its more effective to overproduce uranium and tin via bees and can the uranium directly, regardless of the uranium efficiency loss.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The reasoning is:
that setup is not efficient princess-wise, and you didnt take frame housing int account. in latest versions of forestry, you can have up to 4 frames(if i remember right) before princess turns into a swarmer, which results in 400% production

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
that setup is not efficient princess-wise, and you didnt take frame housing int account. in latest versions of forestry, you can have up to 4 frames(if i remember right) before princess turns into a swarmer, which results in 400% production

... I did say that the number of princesses might be an issue, and that it wasn't considering frame housings. That setup, however, will give a higher output without needing any other inputs (like wood, string and seeds for frames). I did not claim that it was the best system, but it is an option, and would make it more profitable than a standard alveary. Just giving options.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
... I did say that the number of princesses might be an issue, and that it wasn't considering frame housings. That setup, however, will give a higher output without needing any other inputs (like wood, string and seeds for frames). I did not claim that it was the best system, but it is an option, and would make it more profitable than a standard alveary. Just giving options.

it will not give the highest output since the uranium comb chance is so low. the frame count per princess is more important than space taken by an alveary or apiary as it significantly increases low chance comb production. also of note, the apiaries require 3 additional block per hive if you count routing where the alveary requires two additional blocks per 27. This doesn't even account for frame simplification on alvearies reducing the frame routing.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
it will not give the highest output since the uranium comb chance is so low. the frame count per princess is more important than space taken by an alveary or apiary as it significantly increases low chance comb production. also of note, the apiaries require 3 additional block per hive if you count routing where the alveary requires two additional blocks per 27. This doesn't even account for frame simplification on alvearies reducing the frame routing.

I wasn't aware that frames had a different effect on the chances of production on low-volume combs, and will take that into account in future discussions. I also fairly explicitly mentioned routers in the context of drone and princess insertion, meaning that all that would be required for expansion of the system would be to place another apiary next to the current set.

As I said previously, I was not attempting to say that this is the best setup, or that it was higher production than any other, however, it is interesting, and easily expandable, and not dependent on any outside influences.

Saryy

Jul 29, 2019
i net about 2500-3000 uranium a day from two max-bred radioactive bee alvearies. they are with frames from an oak multifarm and a chestnut orchard multifarm, which significant leftover and overproduction of frames. just scale up from there.

i think your calculations are wrong. one uranium dust produces 6 uum, so you need to multiply the uum production times 6 before dividing by the number of fabs (6). If i recall, its like a minute or a minute and a half, theres no way you should need one uranium every 10 seconds. i run two matter fabs full throttle and theres a significant oversupply of uranium from two max efficiency alvearies.

according to my calculations, you should only need 1000-1500 uranium a day to fully operate 6 matter fabs. this is acheivable with one or two high efficiency alvearies.

for the suggestion regarding breeders, late game breeders are worse than bees because of coal. you end up spending twice the insane tin cost in coal, which is both expensive in UU and not easily bee-able unless I'm missing a species. its more effective to overproduce uranium and tin via bees and can the uranium directly, regardless of the uranium efficiency loss.

Maan, you're right! I thought it was 10 seconds to produce one UU at max speed, but its actually 100 secs. You just saved me from building ten times bigger setup than neccessary :). One or two alvearies is great news, i was worried it would be tens. Let the breeding begin!

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't aware that frames had a different effect on the chances of production on low-volume combs, and will take that into account in future discussions. I also fairly explicitly mentioned routers in the context of drone and princess insertion, meaning that all that would be required for expansion of the system would be to place another apiary next to the current set.

As I said previously, I was not attempting to say that this is the best setup, or that it was higher production than any other, however, it is interesting, and easily expandable, and not dependent on any outside influences.

Understood, I missed the part about the routers. I guess routers would work if you have a bee monoculture, didn't think of that as they aren't as convenient with alvearies. Using them with alvearies would require more of them and machine filters b/c of the frame housing blocks I think, and you'd need three or four routers per two alvearies? I'm a router noob, only use them with centrifuges :p

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Understood, I missed the part about the routers. I guess routers would work if you have a bee monoculture, didn't think of that as they aren't as convenient with alvearies. Using them with alvearies would require more of them and machine filters b/c of the frame housing blocks I think, and you'd need three or four routers per two alvearies? I'm a router noob, only use them with centrifuges :p

Actually, one of the beauties of routers is that, provided that there is an uninterrupted path of blocks with inventories, the router can access any inventory. So, you could plonk a furnace between the alvearies and be well away. This makes them a hugely powerful tool, but also worthless in a lot of builds. They are basically most useful in places where you need to access masses of similar inventories, otherwise, they're a lot of hassle.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
OP, to answer your question.....the answer is yes. You simply need to get at least 3 uranium ores every 30 seconds. Then use a timer and a dispenser so you get 1 ore every 10 seconds.

You can use alvearies..or apiaries. Don't matter. I think if you can get 8 radioactive combs every 30 seconds, you're good to go. Just pipe them to multiple centrifuges, the more the better as you dont want the centrifuges to be the bottleneck.

While apiaries and routers are nice....I find them to be too costly in terms of CPU cycles. I prefer a router alveary setup :) If you dont want to use frames, just build more lol.