Rack Server thrift purchase for FTB IE...

M

MTXRooster

Hey all..

So I currently have an (old, very old) rack server, a Dell 2850 with 2x Paxville 2.8 CPU's. It runs 6-9 Spigot Minecraft servers just fine with a small load (they are bungeecorded). Awhile back, I added a FTB Infinity Evolved server on there due to rising interest.. (not that it matters, but the server is for my kids and their friends, not a pay place, not a public place with 100's of players or anything, about 10-20 tops).. I noticed the ftb server constantly struggling to keep up (ticks), and kids noted issues in game, all lag-related. So I temporarily started shutting down the spigot servers (at the time, the FTB server had up to 8GB dedicated to it) to see if that would help, as I assumed it was a CPU issue, needing too much processing power that was being used by the other servers.. Long story short, with NOTHING running on this rack, the game didn't change much at all, meaning still laggy, and having issues..

I thought well maybe it's the install/server/configuration etc issue, so I copied it to a windows box with an i7 and 16GB ram.. set the ram limit to 4gb (just because I reused a launching script I had on hand) and it ran flawlessly.
The project was halted due to lack of ability to run the server.
Alas, time has passed, and I've been eyeing "new" really old servers (specifically ibm x3650's with X5660/x5650's, and poweredge products, roughly R620/R720 era which seem to have shipped with mostly E5 era cpu's. Or an R410 with E5620s...
My question is will either of these run FTB IE "flawlessly" for roughly 10 players? (or even 0, as the 2850 loses ticks idle, rofl).
What kind of older server hardware are people running this (or similar loadout in terms of mods) on, for smaller servers? In a perfect world, I'd like something I can move my existing 7 or so spigot servers to WHILE running ftb, so as to not have to power 2 rack servers (especially since the 2850 is by far worse on power than ANY of the newer racks mentioned, lol) but really that's just a bonus, NOT a requirement. And yes, yes I know, why not build a desktop since clearly any current gen box (seemingly) could handle it? Because that's not what I want :) Thanks in advance for any recommendations and comments on whether either of these two era racks/cpu generations will run it well..

Last edited: