Quick question about proxies.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm at work, and honestly I'm not supposed to be on minecraft. But as the only person in my department, it's not uncommon for me to go several hours where I'm monitoring servers with nothing to do. So I installed FTB launcher. I have a server hosted with a public ip, and I can access it from home. Of course I can't access it from work.

So, I got putty, tossed up a Virtual Box with Ubuntu/Squid, port forwarded everything at home, can connect via socks5 and Firefox is reporting my home IP from work. So I know it works. I tossed the config line into the FTB Launcher and it got rid of the authentication errors and now I'm connecting without a problem.

EXCEPT, I can't connect to the server. FTB launcher isn't the issue anymore (I'm assuming), I think it's something with trying to connect to the IP/Port, I set up an A record and SRV to use a hostname for the port, the domain works from home, but not the launcher at work.

Any ideas?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
One thing you haven't mentioned is the mojang logon server.

I had this problem once, I had a VPN client tunnelling through the firewall at work and terminating at my firewall at home, which allowed me to connect to my private server box. This all worked but I then found that traffic to the Mojang server that authenticates user accounts was still blocked by the work firewall so I couldn't log in.

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
Well, when I did it without the proxy, the mojang logon server threw an error, when I do it with the proxy, no error. It does log in successfully. I just can't seem to communicate with my server.

I'm pretty sure that's what this means at least in the log:

FTB Launcher logs:
[08:53:30] [INFO] LaunchFrame.doLogin:507: Logging in...
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:62: Email address given
[08:53:30] [INFO] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:63: Beginning authlib authentication attempt
[08:53:30] [INFO] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:64: successfully created YggdrasilAuthenticationService
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:71: mojangData was passed to current method
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:74: Loading mojangData into authlib
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:140: Authentication is valid
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:143: loggedIn() && CanPlayOnline()
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] AuthlibHelper.authenticateWithAuthlib:147: Authentication done, returning LoginResponse
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] Benchmark.logBenchAs:73: Login Worker Run took 293 ms.
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] LaunchFrame$16.done:551: responseStr: good
[08:53:30] [INFO] LaunchFrame$16.done:554: Login complete.
[08:53:30] [DEBUG] User.writeObject:185: starting...

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
So I guess here is the question. Doing some more looking around without any answers. Is it possible that my server I'm connecting to, the port is somehow being blocked?

Here is my process:
1: Start up linux server at home.
2: Connect to linux server at work using putty tunnel, socks5 configuration.
3: Check firefox for ip to verify my ip is my home ip not work.
4: Run FTB Launcher with "-DsocksProxyHost=127.0.0.1 -DsocksProxyPort=8080" in my java params.
5: I get successful authentication message from Mojang (see above post) and get to the multiplayer list.
6: The server cannot be reached from here.

Perhaps something is wrong with reaching the IP over the specific port from within the game for some reason? I'm not getting any data from the console when it comes to that server nor do I know how to even test it from the game other than to refresh connections. Maybe there is a Squid setting on my server I need to set in order to pass the minecraft server's port through? Any ideas would be great.

PastorBones

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried connecting to the server locally? That could rule out any minecraft issues...Also, is that the last line in your log? Maybe write permission is needed somewhere....just some thoughts

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I can connect to the server from home without any problems. It's just work that I can't connect. I just tried using my admin account to run the launcher. Same results. Without the proxy I can even authenticate (we/mojang) let alone see the server. With the proxy I CAN authenticate but still can't see the server.

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
btw, this server is hosted in a data center, with a public IP. It's not in my house, so I can't access it "locally".

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
Here are the logs:

[09:10:08] [Client thread/INFO]: Connecting to EDITED OUT
[09:10:29] [Server Connector #1/ERROR]: Couldn't connect to server
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information: HOSTNAME.TLD/IP:pORT
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doFinishConnect(NioSocketChannel.java:191) ~[NioSocketChannel.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:228) ~[AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:497) ~[NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:447) ~[NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:341) ~[NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:101) ~[SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_67]

Maybe it's an issue with this server and port forwarding?

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
Most likely the works firewall stopping traffic on the outgoing port (default port is 25565 IIRC ).
The authentication traffic is using a different protocol and therefore I would guess one of the usual web ports (80 or 443) which is going through the proxy.