Quick question about modding

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok this is going to be a very dumb question but do you have to code a item and then the block. For example
If you want to add a table do you have to go throught the whole itemTable then go through blockTable

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, unless you also need it to have item functions that blocks cannot do.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, unless you also need it to have item functions that blocks cannot do.

If you cant tell I'm new to moding and have taken on a huge project for the first mod to be done. So thank you for replying to me so quickly so i could get back to it. I probally will be asking more questions later in this tread but real quick if its not to much of a hassel what kind of things would items be able to do that blocks can't

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you a ton agin but looks like i have to restart my mod agin everything i have done is gone (yes i was saving) after my power just flickered for some reason

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Srry to bother you guys agin but I need help getting my textures to show up in game. I'm fellowing Mr.Crayfishes tutorial and did wht he said but it still didn't show up.

This is the line of code im useing is there something wrong with it .setTextureName("XY:itemBlackXychoriditeShard"

Edit: its also not showing that there is any errors

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Srry to bother you guys agin but I need help getting my textures to show up in game. I'm fellowing Mr.Crayfishes tutorial and did wht he said but it still didn't show up.

This is the line of code im useing is there something wrong with it .setTextureName("XY:itemBlackXychoriditeShard"

Edit: its also not showing that there is any errors
Uh, there's no closing parentheses.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a repository or something that I can look at? That one snippet isn't really enough for me to help.

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
Override this method in your block class
Code:
@Override@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerBlockIcons(IIconRegister reg) {
this.blockIcon = reg.registerIcon(this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(this.getUnlocalizedName().indexOf('.') + 1));
}

Use this to register your block
Code:
public static void registerBlock(Block block,String name) {
block.setBlockName(<modid>.toLowerCase()+':'+name);
GameRegistry.registerBlock(block, name);
}

The texture should then go in the assets/<modid>/textures/blocks folder, with the name you specified when registering the block: <name>.png

EDIT: if it's an item, just do the analogous, but for items.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Override this method in your block class
Code:
@Override@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerBlockIcons(IIconRegister reg) {
this.blockIcon = reg.registerIcon(this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(this.getUnlocalizedName().indexOf('.') + 1));
}

Use this to register your block
Code:
public static void registerBlock(Block block,String name) {
block.setBlockName(<modid>.toLowerCase()+':'+name);
GameRegistry.registerBlock(block, name);
}

The texture should then go in the assets/<modid>/textures/blocks folder, with the name you specified when registering the block: <name>.png

EDIT: if it's an item, just do the analogous, but for items.
This is so overly complicated.

To register blocks I do:
Code:
GameRegistry.registerBlock(blockName, blockName);

And for textures, in the block's constructor:
Code:
this.setBlockTextureName("modid:texture_name");

Reactions: midgetassin

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
This is so overly complicated.

To register blocks I do:
Code:
GameRegistry.registerBlock(blockName, blockName);

And for textures, in the block's constructor:
Code:
this.setBlockTextureName("modid:texture_name");
I'm doing it the same way as you

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
I couldnt figure out how to do the repository so wil this work
package midgetassin.ProjectXy;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod.EventHandler;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPostInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

@Mod(modid = "XY", name = "Project XY", version = "1.0")
public class ProjectXY {

public static Item itemBlueXychoriditeShard;
public static Item itemRedXychoriditeShard;
public static Item itemGreenXychoriditeShard;
public static Item itemWhiteXychoriditeShard;
public static Item itemBlackXychoriditeShard;
public static Block blockBlueXychoriditeStone;

@EventHandler
public void preIint(FMLPreInitializationEvent event){
//Item/block init and registering, config handling
itemBlueXychoriditeShard = new ItemBlueXychoriditeShard().setUnlocalizedName("ItemBlueXychoriditeShard").setTextureName("XY:itemBlueXychoriditeShard");
GameRegistry.registerItem(itemBlueXychoriditeShard, itemBlueXychoriditeShard.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

itemRedXychoriditeShard = new ItemRedXychoriditeShard().setUnlocalizedName("ItemRedXychoriditeShard").setTextureName("XY:itemRedXychoriditeShard");
GameRegistry.registerItem(itemRedXychoriditeShard, itemRedXychoriditeShard.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

itemGreenXychoriditeShard = new ItemGreenXychoridite().setUnlocalizedName("ItemGreenXychoriditeShard").setTextureName("XY:itemGreenXychoriditeShard");
GameRegistry.registerItem(itemGreenXychoriditeShard, itemGreenXychoriditeShard.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

itemWhiteXychoriditeShard = new ItemWhiteXychoridite().setUnlocalizedName("ItemWhiteXychoriditeShard").setTextureName("XY:itemWhiteXychoriditeShard");
GameRegistry.registerItem(itemWhiteXychoriditeShard, itemWhiteXychoriditeShard.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

itemBlackXychoriditeShard = new ItemBlackXychoridite().setUnlocalizedName("ItemBlackXychoriditeshard").setTextureName("XY:itemBlackXychoriditeShard");
GameRegistry.registerItem(itemBlackXychoriditeShard, itemBlackXychoriditeShard.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

blockBlueXychoriditeStone = new BlockBlueXychoriditeStone(Material.ground).setBlockName("BlockBlueXychoriditeStone");
GameRegistry.registerBlock(blockBlueXychoriditeStone, blockBlueXychoriditeStone.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
}

@EventHandler
public void Init(FMLInitializationEvent event){
//Proxy, Tile entity, entity Gui and packet registry
}

@EventHandler
public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event){
//list of blocks add
}
}

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Have you made sure your IDE has a refreshed resource folder? All of my assets get added after I make them in gimp so they don't show up in the project until after a refresh or restart. This has caused me many a heart-ache.