Question: Efficiency and what to do next, Fusion race!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
While this would be good for a general build, and he does have pretty good style points, it won't help him on his race for a fusion reactor.

I believe there is a trade for emeralds->Redstone for the chrome... admittedly easier with the trading post from extrautils but it's still doable in ultimate

Wonton_Freak

Jul 29, 2019
Last I checked (and this might've changed- it was a while ago, turbines have been buffed since) Power Converters were much more efficient than turbines- even using steam engines to produce MJ, to melt cobblestone into lava in a Magma Crucible, and burning that in a geothermal was more efficient than running a Steam Turbine- without even counting the entirely ridiculous steel cost of the turbine rotor thing itself, which eventually will break and need replacing.

So yeah, use a steam consumer to convert the steam into both MJ and EU.

Also be aware that boilers are extremely inefficient as they warm up- I'm not sure how much fuel you'll need to stockpile before trying to burn any of it, but I'd say you'll need at least a few hundred buckets of it.

For fusionreactors, you'll need LOTS of chrome and berylium. I'd recommend setting up several centrifuges for rubies as soon as possible (you might want to look into ruby bees for this), and several more for enderpearls (with an ender farm, of course).

You'll also need a lot more iridium- try to get a matterfab running as soon as possible. And some recyclers, of course- you've already said that you have far too much cobblestone, so no problem there.

I should also note that Modular Powersuits offer protection on par with Quantum, and a lot more versatility. They generally require more of the less expensive materials (iron, tin, copper, etc.) and less of the more expensive materials (iridium) than Quantum suits, and so may be more affordable for you. However, your server might have only the GregTech recipes for MPS enabled, so I can't say for sure that it would be cheaper on the iridium.

Okay, so here's an update:

2 out of 8 boilers are currently finished. I have all the materials to create the rest of the fireboxes but haven't finished just yet.
I've also gathered 2 mill MB of both fuel and oil.
MQAhz63.jpg

for steam extraction and power production I've found a quite compact design on a forum thread, that I decided to use because Design > Efficiency (I'll probably get beheaded for saying that) Anyways, this design makes me use 4 more tesseracts in total, but they aren't that expensive so it's not much of a problem.
U7gftOB.png
The refineries, powered by an HV consumer, energy bridge an BC producer from my geothermal power. (also fueled/emptied by tesseracts)
Gkg2ib9.png
To get all the molten ender I decided to find a new stronghold and maybe bring the portal home for convenience (if it was possible).
So I brought my Supercharged Gravity Gun, and a portal gun to run through with the portal blocks.

When I eventually found one using an eye of ender I tried to pick up the normal blocks without success. But after some trying I figured out that if you aim at the eye, on a block with an eye of ender in. You can pick them up and here is the result.

PS: If you want to do this, I have no idea if it works with the normal gravity gun. Another thing to be aware of is that if you pick them up, and place them, you're not able to pick them back up. So if you want to build a portal using this, prepare the area for the portal before you pick up the blocks.

zpc7uow.png

Wonton_Freak

Jul 29, 2019
It probably would've been better to use linking books to get from the overworld to the end
also, you can transmute 4 iron into 1 ender pearl with a minium stone FYI

Thanks, but I already knew that. the thing is that in the end i can just hover 10 blocks over the ground with Powersuit, shoot all the endermen within your reach with a low voltage plasma bullet and then when there are like 60-70 endermen beneath your feat trying to get you. Simply place two portals next to eachother with a portal gun (on the ground facing upward) and fly over them. All the endermen will walk into them, and choke to death. When you close the portals with the guns R function all the enderpearls will squirt out of the ground and you get 3-5 stacks of 16 in just 1 minute.. and no iron used :)

Regards
¨~ Chris

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks, but I already knew that. the thing is that in the end i can just hover 10 blocks over the ground with Powersuit, shoot all the endermen within your reach with a low voltage plasma bullet and then when there are like 60-70 endermen beneath your feat trying to get you. Simply place two portals next to eachother with a portal gun (on the ground facing upward) and fly over them. All the endermen will walk into them, and choke to death. When you close the portals with the guns R function all the enderpearls will squirt out of the ground and you get 3-5 stacks of 16 in just 1 minute.. and no iron used :)

Regards
¨~ Chris
Your enderman harvesting efficiency astounds me... Direwolf would approve.

For MFR Treefarms (you will probably want to run some boilers off charcoal and others off biofuel), you will probably want to have multiple, separate farms with quite a bit of space between them, so trees don't overlap leaves so much and reduce sapling output. Also, if you're growing Oak trees (or other 1x1 trees) using fertilizer (cows atop sewers, feeding sewage into composters), place only two or three dirt blocks above them, so only two or three trees can grow at once. I've had bugs in MC 1.5 where the Fertilizer occasionally refused to work if there was only one sapling in its range.

Also, from what I've heard, EBXL Redwood trees are an excellent source of both wood and saplings. I'm not sure if EBXL saplings work in Forestry machines, though- which brings up the MFR Bioreactor.

It's like a really fast Fermenter and Still in one block that doesn't need power. Prior to a 90% speed nerf, it was fast enough to cold start two 36HP boilers at once- I'm not sure when it was nerfed, though.

Another thing to point out: It can process nine different types of plant matter at once, and each additional type increases the efficiency of the machine- so with nine different types, it will produce considerably more biofuel per item than it will with just one type. So feeding wheat seeds, pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, a few different saplings, netherwart, and the like in is probably a good idea.

Yet another thing: The Bioreactor does not care what, exactly, you put in, only that you give it lots of different stuff. Also note that it can consume any type of dye for just as much biofuel as anything else.

I have hypothesized that a skeleton farm (you'll want to set this up in its own Mystcraft age, because mobs despawn if there are other players in the dimension, but not within 128 meters- a problem on servers) powering a darkroom combined with a little AE crafting and maybe a squid farm (MFR Rancher with a squid in front- you'll need to auto-spawn a new squid occasionally, because they despawn) could power a Bioreactor at maximum efficiency.

For the darkroom, you'll need to use a Redpower Deployer underneath the grass-covered floor of a COMPLETELY DARK (will not work if there is any light at all) room to deploy bonemeal on the grass. The darkness then instantly breaks all the tall grass and flowers that grow, which you could then collect using some Wooden Golems or some Redpower Transposers in the ceiling. Dump into ME Interface, export dyes and seeds into bioreactors.

Also, as soon as you get IC2 power going, set up a bunch of Industrial Electrolyzers and feed them most of your enderpearls. Also make some Industrial centrifuges and feed them your rubies. I feel like redstone is kind of a last resort for chrome, since there are so many other things that it is used for.