Question about steam boilers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
I'm following the recommended advice of keeping my steam boiler running at all times. My question is... once it's heated up, does it always consume the same amount of fuel whether or not I'm actually using the steam? For example, if I turn off my industrial steam engines, will it conserve fuel, or does it just continue to burn the same amount whether or not I actually use all the steam?

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
It continues to burn I believe. It uses less fuel once it's all heated up though. That's what I gathered from messing around wirh it. It will always make steam if the temperature is over 100 C. Steam is technically considered a liquid code wise, so you can store steam in tanks.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Steam is produced faster, I believe, according to how hot it is. The fuel is not converted directly into steam. The fuel is used to raise and then maintain the temperature. Much less fuel is used to keep a Boiler hot than is used to heat a Boiler up.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Any unused steam is wasted fuel. Boilers are for those systems where you need a large, constant power supply. If you're at the stage of only using small amounts of energy in short bursts look towards engines, such as the magmatic ones. Another thing you can do is set up a redstone energy cell. With this you can charge it up using a magmatic engine, then move the cell to another machine to provide it power. This gives the bonus of not wasting lava since the cells can store a massive amount of MJ and keep it stored while moving it.

Edit: The boiler produces the same amount of steam per tick no matter the temp as long as it's above 100C. The only difference is you use fuel slower at higher temps.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I just put a couple redstone energy cells in the output line from the steam engines attached to the boiler. Once they are full shut it off and you will have lots of MJ unless you are running something huge. Just turn it on once in a while to refill the batteries. Sure it uses more fuel to heat up, but not more than leaving it running forever.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Boilers will produce the same amount of steam/tick once they hit 100C, but higher temperatures will be more fuel efficient. If not all the steam is used, then it will keep burning fuel at the normal rate, but will no longer consume water.

How much fuel you save depends on the size/type of the boiler and how often you cook it up.

Generally large/HP boilers are best left running all the time- they use a lot of fuel to cook up.
Something smaller may save a bit if you're not going to use it for a while.

You'll 'save' the most fuel by dumping excess power into a magma crucible and storing up a supply of lava.

(This energy store can be reclaimed in a magmatic (90% efficient) or combustion (roughly 100% efficient) engines. Or used in the IC2 Geothermal.)

Micahel

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how many units of BioFUEL it takes to get a 36 cubic meter boiler to 1000° C? I know it take a lot as it is heating up, 8 time what it takes to maintain it at 1000° C but they don't provide a number.Just trying to get an Idea of how much BioFuel I need to have in storage before I fire up the boiler. I don't want it running out of fuel before it reaches the 1000° C mark.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
696.905 Buckets of Biofuel to heat up to 1000 C for a 36 HP boiler. 35.64 Buckets per hour to keep it at that temperature. There was a post sometime ago that had a Lua program that could calculate it for the different base fuels and I saved it to a computer on my test world, don't know where it is anymore.