Question about lighting options?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm playing beyond and I'm looking through all the different lighting options. I'm wondering a few things.

Is there any spotlight options?
what's the brightest light?
do decocraft lights give off light

also do torches (mega torch thing) stop cursed earth spawn or powered spawners?

looking at all the different options for the build.

also how many bits need to be removed for a C&B block to have no spawn surface? or if it's flat on top it won't matter?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Immersive Engineering has a Spotlight. I don't really care for it but it is there.

You'll have to be more specific on "brightest light". Within the game 15 is the brightest light level, the block to the 4 cardinal sides of a torch on the ground are 15.
If you mean the brightest to the eye, no idea.

Not familiar with the decocraft lights so someone else will have to speak to those.

Mega Torches do not stop forced spawning from cursed earth or spawners, just low light spawned hostile mobs.

If you take a plane, one layer of bits, off a block it should no longer be spawnable I believe.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Immersive Engineering has a Spotlight. I don't really care for it but it is there.

You'll have to be more specific on "brightest light". Within the game 15 is the brightest light level, the block to the 4 cardinal sides of a torch on the ground are 15.
If you mean the brightest to the eye, no idea.

Not familiar with the decocraft lights so someone else will have to speak to those.

Mega Torches do not stop forced spawning from cursed earth or spawners, just low light spawned hostile mobs.

If you take a plane, one layer of bits, off a block it should no longer be spawnable I believe.

Sorry, I don't mean light levels. I mean... I guess which light lights up the farthest from source (so no mobs spawn). A torch is what? 6 or 7 blocks, etc. Is there one that lights up further? Or one that lights up bright enough to see it from far away. Torches and redstone lamps look dinky

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
the block to the 4 cardinal sides of a torch on the ground are 15.

Small correction: A torch emits LL 14, glowstone emits LL 15. (details, I know, but I couldn't resist )

@Psychicash
Immersive Engineering has Powered Lantern, which, if powered, stop mobs from spawning in a 16 block square radius. (so a 32 by 32 area)
It doesn't use light levels to do so, it just stops mob spawning.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
For C+B, there's a config option and I'd recommend changing it, but there's a certain amount of bits that need to be included before it becomes a light source. I believe by default, it equates to one bit thick slice, or 16x16, or 256 total bits. But, you can change that in the config and make it active from the first bit.

I would recommend something like IE's powered lanterns to prevent spawning without forcing you to light up every square inch. I need to do some testing on the range because I've read the radius as 32, but my experience is closer to the 16 that sevenmass reported. But, either way, it's better than torches everywhere.

I happen to love the IE spotlight. Especially for large things. I used it to light up a fountain on a previous game and it was great, it turned the water blocks that were floating in the air into their own light sources. It looked exactly how I was hoping. It'll let you do things like light a statue from different angles and whatnot. Only complaint I'd have is that it lights up a pretty large area, which can be a problem for small stuff.

I don't know if they're in beyond, but there are some torches out there in modded minecraft land that will actually light up a larger area, but it's still the max 15 light level. There's just a larger middle section so it spreads further. I don't recommend this if your goal is aesthetics. Or just mob safety, even, because it's easier to just throw torches everywhere.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
There's a particular chiseled variant of glowstone that I really like using for light sources; as a simple and economic choice (and I like the fluorescent panel look :p) I'd be tempted to (if you have a ceiling) get 16 slices of 1 bit thick glowstone in that variant and use those as light sources. If I could keep the lighting and have those with a 1 bit thick border of something else, I would - perhaps the config @Drbretto mentioned would work for me there.

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
There's a particular chiseled variant of glowstone that I really like using for light sources; as a simple and economic choice (and I like the fluorescent panel look :p) I'd be tempted to (if you have a ceiling) get 16 slices of 1 bit thick glowstone in that variant and use those as light sources. If I could keep the lighting and have those with a 1 bit thick border of something else, I would - perhaps the config @Drbretto mentioned would work for me there.
you could just have it be 2 layers thick and have some of the second layer be glowstone

Edit: WTH is glaowstone