question about lava pumps.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
i am playing ftb unleashed 1.1.6(version probably doesnt matter). If i place a pump in the nether fueled with magmatic engine and piped with liquiducts into a tesserect will it continuously pump lava even when not required? Or will it only pump when something requests lava?

overworld side, I use 2 receiving tesserects. one for a battery of magmatic engines, again piped with liquiducts and the other to a bank of geothermal generators. this is to power my ic2 machines and thermal expansion.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
The pump will output lava until either there is no lava remaining to pump, or there is no receiving liquid transporter adjacent. This means that if it is adjacent to the tesseract and the tesseract has no place to output lava, that the pump will stall until there is space to output more.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the reply. thats good to know. what about the magmatic engine powering the pump though? does that constantly consume lava even when there is no work to be done?

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic engines (from what I recall) consume small amounts of lava constantly. I want to say they have a minimum output of .5 MJ/t that will be stored in their internal buffer. I heard at one point that they will become "jammed" and need to be restarted if they are unable to output their power and the .5 MJ/t fills up their buffer, but I have never seen that myself, and my lava pumping setup consists of two liquiducts, an enderthermic pump, a magmatic engine, an ender tank, and a spot loader. I've never had any issues with it stopping or jamming, even when I have gone for extended periods of minimal lava usage.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
It's been a few versions since I've used magmatic engines for that purpose, but as of last time I tried it the engines will eventually "jam" if there is nowhere to send power. You then have to hit them with a crescent hammer or wrench to unfreeze them.
I usually remedied this with BC gates detecting whether or not the pump had room to accept more power.

EDIT: I'm too slow. But yes, I have definitely experienced them jamming (in past versions anyway).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Just use 4 redstone engines on the pump. They never require fuel, they never stall, and they will still pump one bucket per 2.5 seconds. Since most setups are using lava much slower than that over time, you also have the advantage of the pump internally buffering some lava and energy, so you can get instant bursts of 10-15 buckets in under a second if you suddenly draw a lot very quickly.

Reactions: TheMantis

kharis

Jul 29, 2019
I would also go with the Redstone engines for a pump. Works fine. If you do want to ise the magmatic engine putting Redstone energy conduit between the engine and pump will stop it from jamming (you will need two pieces one fot output from the engine and then input to the pump)

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic engines? Red stone engines? I tend to plop down an energy tesseract being fed 100 mj / tick :p Lava lake "Gone". Sure, I loose 25% of the power but gosh does the lava get sucked up quickly :p either way, it's a good idea to get a huge steel tank to store your lava in so that you can stop chunkloading the pump area once you've sucked up all the lava :p

Not to mention, if you store your lava in a tank you can at a glance see how much lava is available instead if having to guess based on how it looks in the nether.

Reactions: PierceSG

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Geothermal generator into a batbox, batbox to electrical engine, electrical engine to pump. Computercraft computer to monitor the lava storage - when it's near full, the electrical engine is disabled.

:)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about pumps, if I were to not use BC and IC2, are there any mods that has pumps in them that can remove large bodies of fluids in provided enough power?

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about pumps, if I were to not use BC and IC2, are there any mods that has pumps in them that can remove large bodies of fluids in provided enough power?
Well... RP2. But I'm guessing you aren't/don't want to be playing 1.4 anymore. :p

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if by large bodies of fluids you mean lava from the Nether, then the Endothermic pump from Extra Utils sounds like the tool you're looking for.

kharis

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that thing is cool. Love how you end up with a cobble lake so as to avoid flow lag

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Planning on a 1.6.4 compilation and isn't the Ender-thermic pump for lava only?

Also, I'm not using it only for lava. Was hoping to get a pump fast and efficient enough to remove large body of water as well.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Planning on a 1.6.4 compilation and isn't the Ender-thermic pump for lava only?

Also, I'm not using it only for lava. Was hoping to get a pump fast and efficient enough to remove large body of water as well.
it can pump anything iirc you just have to change the config so it can pump in the overworld

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to just remove fluids, you can use the Sponge from OpenBlocks. The Sponge can either be placed manually or with a turtle script.

Sgat8516

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic engines (from what I recall) consume small amounts of lava constantly. I want to say they have a minimum output of .5 MJ/t that will be stored in their internal buffer. I heard at one point that they will become "jammed" and need to be restarted if they are unable to output their power and the .5 MJ/t fills up their buffer, but I have never seen that myself, and my lava pumping setup consists of two liquiducts, an enderthermic pump, a magmatic engine, an ender tank, and a spot loader. I've never had any issues with it stopping or jamming, even when I have gone for extended periods of minimal lava usage.
I have had issues with that setup jamming, but using 2 energy conduits instead of 2 liquiducts seems to correct it by having the engine's not build a charge (engine's never produce more than .5mj unless the pump is actively running, whereas being directly connected to the pump causes them to output at max until their capacitor is full).
Also, enderthermic's are self-chunk loading including their own chunk (so they always load 2 chunks after the first chunk is pumped out). This only seems required on server's that restrict max chunk loading, where the pumps themselves seem to have a low priority in that list (IE setting up a spot loader might give priority to that chunk over another).