Question about filters and hoppers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
So I need a way to let the filter from my chest that is filtering Fertilizer know that there is no available room in a hopper for more fertilizer. I already have fertilizer pumping from a chest to my Fermenters but the fertilizer is filling up the hoppers. What are some good ways to cut supply to the hopper say when it has one stack of fertilizer in it? And to keep it one stack and the rest of the slots saplings? Will take pictures if needed.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I am not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here, but if you're talking about a RP2 Filter, that will not pull any items if they have nowhere to go - when the hopper (or any other possible destination) is full.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I was a bit confusing. Okay, as of right now my filter pulls fertilizer from a chest. This fertilizer goes into a hopper. I also have tubes connecting to the hopper for saplings. If the hopper is full, the saplings skip that hopper and go to a different fermenter, I have 5 trying to be worked onto this system. So if the hopper is full of fertilizer, it's not going to get any saplings and won't make biomass.

What I want to do is make it so there is only a stack or 2 of fertilizer in the hopper at any given point, NO MORE. I need some sort of set up to stop the flow of fertilizer when say, all the hoppers have 2 full stacks of fertilizer in them or even 3, but just leaving a slot open so the filters detect that saplings can enter.

I should also say I am using pneumatic tubes but can change tube types. And yes I was talking about a RP2 filter.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
RP2 Managers should be able to do this, haven't tried them with hoppers yet but theoretically it should work.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I'll check out a manager. Can I just attach it directly to a hopper or does there need to be pipes between them?

I actually already tried attaching them directly, the fertilizer goes into the wrong slot AND if there's Mulch/fertilizer in one of them, it still thinks it has an open inventory. It goes into the water slot.

Holy crap managers take a lot. Do I have to make five separate ones for each hopper?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The manager is a massive overkill for what you're trying to do. (In fact I have yet to see more than one or two setups with Managers that couldn't be made much simpler, cheaper, and more compact with other tools.)[DOUBLEPOST=1360304664][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually already tried attaching them directly, the fertilizer goes into the wrong slot AND if there's Mulch/fertilizer in one of them, it still thinks it has an open inventory. It goes into the water slot.
Then connect a golden gate to the hopper, set it to emit redstone signal whenever it has a stack of fertilizer inside. Connect that signal to the filter so that it will stop pulsing.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it seems like super overkill but if no one else has any other ideas, I'll get right on it.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
Either use a regulator on top of the hopper with both a stack of saplings and fertilizer in its filter or attach RP2 tubes directly onto the fermenter. For that you only have to connect the sapplings to the top of the fermenter and the fertilizer to the bottom.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
For the record you can automate this completely with BC pipes and gates, without needing any running redstone timers. It will also be much more compact. (Think fertilizer chest -> wooden pipe -> fermenter. Autarchic gate set to Fertilizer < 25% --> energy pulsar.)

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I may try just directly connecting them again and fixing my power supply/water piping so it comes in on the sides but I think I'm going to go with the BC pipes and gates because 3 of the fertilizers are side by side. The gates I need for that, do I need an assembly table?

Got the assembly table, derp. How would I go about connecting the gate to the filter? Would it just be through the pipe?

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Can I use an Autarchic Gold AND gate or the OR gate or does it have to be one gate?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on what do you want to do.

The basic Gate only allows one condition, and can't interact with pipe wire.
Iron gate allows two conditions, and can interact with red pipe wire.
Golden gate allows four conditions, can interact with red and blue pipe wire, and can add item specifiers to conditions.
Diamond gate allows eight conditions, can interact with any pipe wire, and can add item specifiers.
All AND gates will launch all actions only when all the conditions are true.
All OR gates will launch every action if the condition associated with that action is true, regardless of other conditions.
Autarchic gates can activate wooden pipes they are attached to.

Better gates don't give you more conditions to work with, the basic gate can use exactly the same conditions as a diamond gate. The only difference is the number of possible conditions, and the fact that golden and diamond gates can use item specifiers. (i.e. "items in inventory" compared to "five cobblestone in inventory").

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I made multiple gold Autarchic gates like you said above, those will work well then right?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to run some BC structure pipes alongside you RP tubes, and use them for the gates/redwire.

That way, you have both the semi intelligent system of RP tubes, and the conditions from BC gates.

An other way would be to have color on your pipes, have your sapplings without colors and your fertilizer having only one path to go to.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
can you not just place a bucket (or cobble block) in the water slot and leave it there?
Then tube your fertiliser into the bottom and saplings in the top via a hopper.
That way you should still be able to use your filters. I'm using filters and hoppers for mine, without timers and it seems to work ok.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I had to do the same with hobbyist steam engines and red power tubes. Fuel kept going into the water input and output slots. So I forced some junk down the tubes to fill those slots (as I couldn't place the items in myself manually), then everything was fine.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I did try putting junk in the water slots but it didn't work. I could try forcing some wood from our trees into the slot, but I already made like... a ton of autarchic gates... :[ And I can't really manage to re-pipe my system because of how my friend made it and it would be a lot of hassle to re-pipe everything, so that's a last resort option. I am gonna look up structure pipes to see what I can do with those, though I already replaced the tubing with BC gold piping. :|

Also gold gates don't let you set an item so now that's out the window unless I can figure something out here, or anyone else can.

I guess I'm just going to run RP2 piping and just have the filter set to pump out a stack of like... 2 fertilizer every 5 minutes or something. That's the only thing I can come up with right now with my r-tard setup here.

Thanks for all the assisting guys, very appreciated. Will definitely look back here for my SSP world and not set up my SSP fermenters so stupidly, unlike my friend.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
just use a filled water bucket and place it manually, it'll empty the water into the tank and leave the empty one there.

I think