Query - Pam's Harvestcraft ground traps

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

Has anyone found a way of piping loot out of these traps? I can pipe the bait in (Phantonface, so as to avoid using up one of required 5 earth-touching faces), but any method that pipes things out only pipes the bait ou (can't see why one would want to do that...). Google found, amongst others, an article saying that the traps were not designed to be automated - but I can keep the traps filled with bait, automatically.

I've tried (attached directly to the trap (exposed top), blacklisted against bait):
  • Thermal itemducts, with various combinations of servos and retrievers
  • RefStrg cables, with importers
  • ExUtils transfer pipes, with various combinations of item transfer nodes and retrieval nodes
I'm using v1.9 of DW20's current modpack which does not (yet) include EnderIO, so can't try that atm.

In this Reddit article the OP says "I can get the produce out of it by using bait blacklisted item conduits, but can't find a way to put the grain into the trap itself" which is exactly the opposite of what i found. I'm wondering if he used EnderIO conduits?

Has anyone else managed better?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I've not played with them in a while but have you tried piping out of the bottom? Maybe they are sided.

Reactions: Anton_
A

Anton_

I did - I tried bottom, side, and top. All sides let you pipe bait in or out, but not loot.

C

Citron

Hi there.
I experimented the Ground Trap many times ago, and they really aren't made for automation.

They are designed as :
1st slot = Bait slot
Others slots = Output Slots

Wherever the side you are putting items, it starts filling slot 1, then 2 and 3 as a regular chest, so we can't use a side-dependent system.

With ThermalDynamics, we can use the Retrievers. The Reinforced one (Tier 3) allows to set a maximum amount of items in the inventory and a White/Blacklist system, so we could have :

[GROUND_TRAP] [RETRIEVIER1] [ITEMDUCT] [RETRIEVIER2] [CHEST]

Retrievier1 (Tier3) : Filter = Bait ; Whitelist mode ; Max Items = 32* ; Redstone = Ignore
Retrievier2 (Any Tier) : Filter = Bait ; Blacklist mode ; Redstone = Ignore
* Using 32 to prevent any risk of overpulling
With this, the Retrievier1 will pull Baits from the Chest to the Trap and the Retrievier2 will pull outputs from the Trap to the Chest.

It's an example, but it (normally) works ^_^

Last edited:
A

Anton_

Thanks Citron. I've just tried your very sensible suggestion but couldn't get it to work, even though it clearly should.

Even just a single retriever at the chest, with an empty blacklist (i.e., pull everything out), and at the other end a trap full of loot but where I've manually removed the bait (i.e., slot 1 empty) - does nothing. If I put some bait in, the duct/retriever whips that out pretty quick, but ignores the loot. If I change that retriever to whitelist one of the existing loot items, it still does not pull it out. Adding a similarly configured servo at the trap end does not help either.

C

Citron

I didn't try the setup I explained, but my experiments with hopper and Ex2 Pipes/Nodes worked great...
The final setup I used was

[TRAP] [TRANSFER PIPE] [RETRIEVER NODE*] [CHEST]
*Item Filter : Bait, Blacklist

The trap was in the ground and the pipe on the top of the trap. I was putting Baits manually, and the Node was taking items correctly.

Could you try with the pipe on the top ? If it doesn't works, trying without getting through the Phantomface ?

Does the extraction side matter? Seem's to me Pam's was annoyingly sided.
The side shouldn't matter :/

Reactions: Anton_
A

Anton_

Hm, interesting. Piping (via Thermal itemduct) out of the bottom does work. (Apologies, Cpt_gloval, I gave you incorrect information.)

I was unwilling to use the bottom because I read that the trap needs 5 sides in contact with dirt/grass blocks. I assumed that the top had to be exposed to air else how can anything walk over it to get trapped? or am I being too literal here? That leaves 5 sides, all of which are covered. The Phantomface gets past that restriction, but I don't think the phantom connection is sided?

Given that the 6th side was exposed to air, that left no side exposed to attach an exporting pipe to. So I was unwilling to sacrifice the bottom side to an attachment.

Anyway, I experimented a bit. I attached Thermal itemducts to the bottoms and fed all those to a Storage Drawer setup, with a retriever at the drawer controller, set to the resonant retriever's max inventory size of 320. Worked perfectly. The traps don't even need servos.

Thanks for everyone's very useful replies!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
C

Citron

According to the docs I found, you need at least 5 blocks of GrassBlock at the same height, in a 2-blocks radius. I don't see anything about air or sunlight.
So, we can have (top view) :

X X G X X
X G G G X
G G T G G
X G G G X
X X G X X

X any block ; G grass ; T trap

I knew that we could use a trap in the middle of a 3x3 grass square, but I didn't know about the 2-blocks radius.

Happy to help :D

A

Anton_

Thanks Citron - that's useful. I just laid out 10 traps in a pattern that I saw in the wiki (I think):

G G G G G G G
G G G G G G G
G G T G T G G
G T G G G T G
G G T G T G G
G T G G G T G
G G T G T G G
G G G G G G G
G G G G G G G

Does that follow the requirements you quoted?

In any event, it produces loot very rapidly - far more than I need. One trap would have been plenty. All I really needed was the turkey, to make Thankful Dinners - amazing food!

C

Citron

If it works, so it follows the requirements :^D
I'll test the Ground Trap mechanisms someday, at least to expand the wiki.

scottvee

Jul 29, 2019
Hi. Ender IO conduits work from the bottom, just add a filter and blacklist the 3 types of bait.

A

Anton_

Thanks scottvee. Unfortunately EnderIO is not yet it the current DW20 pack.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Add it. I did with no ill effects. It's been fun playing with the new differences. Just remember to get the lib file also, not just the eio stuff.

A

Anton_

Cpt_gloval, I'd love to, but I'm playing on someone else's server. I'm assured that it will be added soon, though.

C

Citron

Hello !
Back from testing !
I can't post pictures properly (5 posts rules) so let's color this !

Tested models :
G G -
G T G
- G -

- - G
G
G T
- - G
- - G

G - - -
-
G - G
- - T -
-
G - -
G - - -

G G -
G - -
-
- T
G - -
G - -

G G G G
- - G -
-
- T -

G G
G
-
T -
G -
G -

- - G -
G G T G
- - G -

Working models :
- - G
G
G T
- - G
- - G

- - G -
G G T G
- - G -

- - G - -

- - - - -
G - T - G

- - G - -
- - G - -

Conclusion :
The Ground Trap works with 5 grass blocks in a 2-blocks-long-range cross.
The Trap checks for any grass block in its range, and doesn't care about anything else. You can have any kind of block in its range, but needs 5 grass blocks to make it work.

So, actual range :
- - G - -
- - G - -
G G T G G
- - G - -
- - G - -

Last edited:
A

Anton_

Thanks Citron. That's useful research and should really go forward to update the wiki!

C

Citron

I made the gamepedia wiki page yesterday (and got an instant "need cleanup" message).
Do what you want with this ;)

A

Anton_

Citron, it looks fine to me - not sure what an "encyclopedic tone" is, though!