Quartz and Cactus destroying items?

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
I've lost so many bees/apiaries/ores to this thing. Is it a vanilla feature or added by some mod? I really want to get rid of it because it doesn't make any sense.

If you're wondering why bees/apiaries; some bees require cactuses nearby, and there was a bug that required me to break & replace the apiaries every time I restarted the game.

Etienne Beaule

Jul 29, 2019
The cactus is from vanilla and the quartz crystal is from Xycraft. They were designed to destroy items. Get out of the desert to have no cacti, and remove Xycraft for no quartz.

Does the bug still occur?

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Does the bug still occur?
I switched from Mindcrack to Ultimate Pack, so I don't have it anymore.

I know where they are from, but I'm asking if they destroy items because of a mod or if it's a vanilla thing. I don't want to remove the entire mod just to avoid quartz, and harvesting cactuses from my small plantation is annoying because the cactuses just hit the other cactuses nearby and disappear. I even accidentally dropped an item near a cactus once and it disappeared. Gladly I'm not playing in a server so I can cheat them back.

Etienne Beaule

Jul 29, 2019
The quartz is destroying blocks because of xycraft. Cacti (cactus) destroys items because of vanilla. Quartz is easily removed with the fist, while I think that the cactus harvesting was meant to be harder because of the feature. I use a forestry farm for cactus to avoid it.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I always plant the cactus with 3 squares between each one. They tend not to land on other cactus that way.

I think minecraft has always worked that way though....the cactus destroy items and hurt the player has been in place for a very long time.

The XYcraft crystals were just updated to do this in one of the latest patches....the one that added the machines for XYcraft.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Cactus has always destroyed item entities that came in contact with it, the Xycraft quartz having the same effect is a new thing, apparently it can be blamed on Slowpoke according to the Xycraft changelog.

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
To repeat what pretty much everyone else said, it's vanilla for cacti to destroy items that come into contact with them. If you must pick up your apiary that is surrounded by cacti, I'd recommend picking up the cacti first. As for cacti destroying each other, leave some space between them, and harvest them from the bottom block and replant (so it doesn't fall on itself). Personally, for my cacti farm, I put pistons under the sand connected by underground redstone dust, and then a lever to toggle all the pistons for mass harvesting (and then replant manually). Never lost a cactus since.