Quarry Sorting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
On my FTB world I made a quarry with a steady power source using lava, I would run it but it is a big quarry and I don't know how to sort it's output, I am most likely going to use a bunch of barrels but if I get a better suggestion I will use it. Please leave any good quarry sorting ideas you have.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
if you're on 1.4.7 you can use a sorting machine (or even a few filters) to put all the general quarry waste (dirt/cobble/gravel) into a lava pit, put the ores into somewhere to be smelted, and the rest into a tube that runs across the top of some barrels.

Applied energistics is also a great way to go but I can't even begin to advise on that

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest applied energistics. It is surprisingly easy to set up. Watch direwolf20's season 5 videos on it, and any other tutorial or mod spotlights you can find. The basics though are controller, drive, import interface, access terminal, and some storage cells. That will get you started and is very easy to do, and fairly cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I might do that, I already store my items on an applied energistics network, I just need to make a few drives, thanks

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently running a quarry with AE.

hook up the central unit of AE with a energy conduit from AE, and attach a drive bay, an access terminal and a ME imput device taking everything from an adjactant chest. and put 2 64kbit disks in it (okay, they are expensive). one of them should get preformatted for cobble, dirt and gravel. and then, happy mining. the 64k disks can store virtually everything... (I have currently 140k cobble + 30k dirt on one of them... and it's at 20kbit storage...).

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
You got a couple of options. If you're using 1.4.7 then the cheapest is to collect your quarrys output into a chest, attach a filter/transposer (depending on how fast your quarry is running) with a timer, and run a length of pneumatic tube from it. Then, craft a few barrels and a couple of chests. Put the barrels close to the filter/transposer and pre-determine what they'll store by priming the barrels with common blocks like cobblestone, dirt, marble and gravel. Depending on the size of your quarry, you could conceivably be dredging up a quarter of a million blocks before you hit bedrock, so you're gonna need a few barrels (or to empty them frequently) to hold all the "byproducts".

Put the chests at the end of the tube, and the quarry will pump all the crap into the barrels according to what you designated them to hold, and all of the good stuff will land in the chests.

Option 2, assuming you're on the Ultimate pack is generally the same, but with the barrels replaced by Deep Storage Units, which hold much more than a barrel and retain their inventory when broken. Considerably more expensive than barrels, but well worth looking into.

Option 3 is AE, and you can get around using massive storage drives by using barrels/deep storage units connected to your AE system via a Storage Bus set to a specific item. The AE system will then use the barrel/DSU as an extension of its own storage system without using up any drive space at all. It's a far cheaper method of mass-storage within an AE system than having to create 64k drives.

Option 4 is more complex; you can pipe the output into an ender chest/tesseract and process rather than store it. For this, you'd need to have a complete ore refinery set up.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Would you mind explaining how to connect the barrels to the ME network with the storage busses?
EDIT: never mind I got it

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
If you use the barrels/DSUs, what's the point in using it wih AE? I just though of that AFTER I made my second terminal and stuff

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you use the barrels/DSUs, what's the point in using it wih AE? I just though of that AFTER I made my second terminal and stuff
Because you get the best of both worlds with a Storage Bus. You get DSU's two billion item storage of that particular item, but you've got the sorting and access capacity of your ME Network. Also, your Crafting Terminal can 'see' DSU's attached with storage buses, meaning you can do crafting like Pistons and drawing from your DSU, and you can automatically import everything into your ME Network and it'll get put in the DSU without eating up a ton of disk space.

I just got done writing an AE Guide on my blog, you might want to check it out (although it is written for 1.5.x so some of the data may not apply)

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
yes, I thought of the same thing... after turning off the pc. the only disadvantage would be that you can't take the disk out of the drivebay after you are finished mining and take it back to your mine.

so you need a tesseract/enderchest system to get the stuff to your base and then send it to the DSUs.

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on size, the non-filler output should not be more than a gold chest or three in size. Filler would be dirt, gravel, sand, cobblestone.

Have all output delivered to a chest attached to a Sorting Machine. The other four three sides each have a Filter set to Dirt, Gravel, Sand, or Cobblestone. They should filter out entire stacks and each be color coded. By doing this no more than a single stack of filler materials stay in the sorting chest. Then have all the tubes go to a single barrel for each type. Past these barrels, have the tubes deliver to color coded voiding chambers. Here are a couple types:

-Void Chests
-Chest with wooden pipe that leads to Void Pipe. Use a 1 MJ/t engine like a stirling or peat.
-Recycler setups(you'll need a lot of them)

By having the voids as backup, you'll collect a barrel full of each(you really should not need more ever), and the rest will be dealt with. You want to separate out the filler material before the Sorting Machine because they are not super fast and the Anystack mode only seems to pull full stacks. AE is great for non-filler stuff. Just pipe into an interface and its sitting on your disks waiting to go back to the base.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Side-note; if you're voiding the cobble, you can use a fabricator to automatically extract it from your output chest and make it into furnaces, then pipe the furnaces into the void pipe/incinerator.

Clears the output chest faster without having to use a powered engine to move full stacks.

Also, consider ender chests; sit one atop an ME import bus at your base, tie it to one at your quarry site that accepts the good stuff once the dirt/cobble/marble/gravel has been filtered out.

Their capacity is easily enough to cope with a full-speed quarry, and an import bus extracts very quickly.

Reactions: sir_schwick

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
Side-note; if you're voiding the cobble, you can use a fabricator to automatically extract it from your output chest and make it into furnaces, then pipe the furnaces into the void pipe/incinerator.

Clears the output chest faster without having to use a powered engine to move full stacks.

That just blew my mind sir.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Another side-note, in the 1.5.2 packs extra utilities adds new cobblestone storage blocks that can get massive. You can do normal cobble in a 3x3, then do the output in another 3x3, etc. up to a point where you have 43,046,721 cobble compressed into a single block. With that mod I think voiding the cobble would be a waste considering you can easily flaunt your excess by using those massively compressed blocks. For comparison, it would take the 2 billion blocks a DSU can hold and turning it into almost 47 blocks which could then be put into said DSU.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using the 1.4.7 pack[DOUBLEPOST=1369670838][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks you for the suggestions, the fabricator idea with the furnaces is a great idea!

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Set up an item tesseract next to your quarry. Set up a second somewhere near your storage room. Connect the two, the one next to your quarry set to send, the other in your base set to recieve. The quarry will output directly to that tess if it's setup correctly.

Have the one in your base connect to a buildcraft pipe that leads to an intersection with a diamond pipe. Have cobble, dirt and gravel go in one direction, the 'useful' stuff can then go into your storage system. And this is what you do with the cobble etc.:
X2MGTOz.png

Whatever it can store it will store, the rest gets voided. This system doesn't rely on power and will always, no matter what, void a surpluss of cobble. Relying on something that uses power (AE) or can backstuff (RP) is a bad idea becuase a fast quarry can crash a server with all the entities it can produce.