Quarry Minus

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
As per this post in the Suggest Mods for Creation thread, here is a mod that only adds an RF-powered quarry, and landmarks.

Download for 1.7.10. Immibis Core required (from here).

Quarry recipe:
b1iES.png

Landmark recipe:
b1iBN.png

Landmarks should be set up like this, if you want to use them:

b1iKP.jpg

Specifically, one of the landmarks needs to be behind the quarry, and that landmark needs to be lined up with the others. The maximum distance between two landmarks is 31 blocks, but they can be "chained" to select a larger area. The quarry doesn't need to be at a corner - you could make a T shape with landmarks, and put the quarry at the top center of the T, and it should mine out both sides. Landmarks can connect through other blocks.

A default-size quarry looks like this: (the quarry ignores water)

b1jhr.jpg

It looks similar to a BC quarry. This picture is from before quarry arms were implemented.

If there are blocks inside the frame they will be destroyed without being dropped.

The quarry uses 3200 RF for each block mined or built. That means that if you have a single dynamo powering it, it will mine one block every two seconds (because 80 RF/t = 1600 RF/sec). It will not mine more than one block per tick (32000 RF/t, equivalent to 40 dynamos).

The quarry acts like a chest. It will store dropped items inside itself. If it is full, it will pause mining, but continue drawing power.

Important note for SMP: it currently will destroy any blocks inside the frame, even bedrock and protected blocks! Bedrock and protected blocks will not be mined if they're underneath the frame.

Visual note: Quarry arms and outlines will only be visible if you're within 64 blocks of the quarry block, since they're counted as part of the quarry block.

Last edited:

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Several questions... First do the landmarks send out the blue lines when you give it a redstone signal. Second what sizes can we use is 64x64 still the max? Any chance of a silk touch upgrade/addon? It would increase power usage and cost more perhaps. Anyways rushing off to test it out! Thanks Immibus!

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Several questions... First do the landmarks send out the blue lines when you give it a redstone signal.
They do not.

Second what sizes can we use is 64x64 still the max?
There is no max, but the quarry will stop if it finds an unloaded chunk, and still draw power. Also landmarks only connect up to 32 blocks (but you can chain them together).

Any chance of a silk touch upgrade/addon? It would increase power usage and cost more perhaps.
Wouldn't that be OP?

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
They do not.

There is no max, but the quarry will stop if it finds an unloaded chunk, and still draw power. Also landmarks only connect up to 32 blocks (but you can chain them together).

Wouldn't that be OP?

Ok then next questions are: could it be possible that they be activated? it can be annoying to have to find the straight line for me.

Also the second question is is the quarry chunk loaded on its own or do you need a separate chunk loader?

Finally as for OP make it configurable and drastically cost more power. Lots of things are powerful the question is can you justify the reward with the work to earn it. If it feels to cheap and easy make it a harder recipe. At least thats how I feel :)

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Well I think the point of this mod is to provide a lighter, easier version of quarry plus (@immibis, correct?) So I really don't see the point of including all of quarry plus's features.

Reactions: Loufmier

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Well I think the point of this mod is to provide a lighter, easier version of quarry plus (@immibis, correct?) So I really don't see the point of including all of quarry plus's features.

Perhaps you haven't played with quarry plus recently? It adds fortune 3 and silk touch to quarries as well as efficiency and unbreaking. It also adds a mining plus, a pump plus and a laserplus as well as a refineryplus. So I hardly think this is copy of quaryplus.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Immibus I am still curious does the quarry chunkload the area?

No. Why would they do that? Why would it ever be a good idea for a quarry to chunkload the area automatically?

Even worse would be if it refused to run when it couldn't chunkload the area.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I am just comparing its features to existing automatic mining. Some do and some don't. As for the merit I don't know, if the chunk loading is done correctly I don't think its usually a problem. I do know the buildcraft quarry in 1.6.x would load the chunks even if the player was offline. Which is a huge problem. So I understand the reason not to. I was just looking for information.

Reactions: RedBoss

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Updated.
  • Added quarry arms - like in BuildCraft - as a purely visual effect. (Note: this means they aren't quite in sync with the actual progress of the quarry, especially if the power input fluctuates)
  • The quarry will stop using power when it is done.
  • Added a black outline of the area the quarry will use, which disappears once the quarry starts mining.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I am just comparing its features to existing automatic mining. Some do and some don't. As for the merit I don't know, if the chunk loading is done correctly I don't think its usually a problem. I do know the buildcraft quarry in 1.6.x would load the chunks even if the player was offline. Which is a huge problem. So I understand the reason not to. I was just looking for information.

If you want chunkloading, there is a guy who makes a mod, whats it called. Dimensional Anchors. I would suggest you use that.

To me, at least, one of the problems with the buildcraft quarries was they way they implicitly acted as chunkloaders, which could cause all sorts of mayhem as they would keep on operating, potentially draining fuel reserves from a non chunkloaded refinery, or in one case, blowing up my steam boilers as they kept pushing items into pipes, that flowed past my steam boiler room, but the water supply was further away. I returned to my base to boilers that had run dry. my presence loaded the pumps that resumed supply. *boom*.

That, incidentally, was the last time I used railcraft. But it was really the quarries fault.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
If you want chunkloading, there is a guy who makes a mod, whats it called. Dimensional Anchors. I would suggest you use that.

To me, at least, one of the problems with the buildcraft quarries was they way they implicitly acted as chunkloaders, which could cause all sorts of mayhem as they would keep on operating, potentially draining fuel reserves from a non chunkloaded refinery, or in one case, blowing up my steam boilers as they kept pushing items into pipes, that flowed past my steam boiler room, but the water supply was further away. I returned to my base to boilers that had run dry. my presence loaded the pumps that resumed supply. *boom*.

That, incidentally, was the last time I used railcraft. But it was really the quarries fault.

lol very funny I know Immibis' stuff well and have lobbied hard to get his mods added into FTB years ago. LOL heck I even know that chickenchunks isnt out for 1.7.x so :p

I honestly am pretty excited about this mod. I know text has a really hard time conveying emotion.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Nice mod :D but there is so much different way of quarrying so it's def not for me :)

Oh and that seems a little bit on the high end for power req when early game, but in the low end when endgame... IHMO you should use a non linear function for the speed of the quarry :) justmy 2 cents