Quarries + Mob Farms

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
So, things in 1.7.10 are quite different from how they were in 1.6.4. In 1.6.4, I used soul shards to farm mobs (mainly blazes) and used a far-away quarry to get resources, which I accessed via a portal from the portal guns mod. However, neither the soul shards nor portal gun mods are in the Direwolf 1.7.10 pack. So, I am curious to see how you guys have set up quarries and mob farms. Pictures would be nice, if you them available. Any kind of quarry or mob farm is fine. Thanks!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Mystcraft intra linking books?

MFR Autospawners?

That is just going with the old solutions.

InUniverse

Jul 29, 2019
Who needs a quarry when you have a mining laser, a cobble generator and a sludge boiler?

I'm using an autospawner to spawn mobs and an autonomous activator with an Awakened Ichorium Sowrd to kill mobs for a net profit in XP.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
For overpowered mob spawnign, like soul shards was, use the Stabilized Spawner from Draconic Evolution.
Upgraded to tier 3 it's just pumping out the monsters.

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
I normally use ender tanks/chests for my far off/(mystcraft age) quarries. Ender chests to get the resources home, and ender tanks to carry liquid fuel to the onsite engines.

Except in my latest playthrough... I've been playing with the power generated by fully upgraded Stirling generators around a lava fabricator/tank setup. The generators put out enough RF to power the quarry and the lava fab. The system produces enough energy to run the quarry full speed and keep the tank full of lava to feed the generators.

I've also thought of tesseracts as a viable midgame resource/energy transport system now that they can be built with nothing more than a smeltery and casting basin. TE's molten Enderium can be made in the smeltery. Then after you make the tesseract frame you can fill it with a casting basin. No need for TE machinery or RF involved in the making of tesseracts now.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
For quarries, the main reason for having them be far off is usually the world-hole ugliness, which is mitigated by the ender-quarry, so you can quarry closer to you, and in larger chunks. Alternatively, there are things like the deep-dark, and the Twilight Forest which can give you a quarry in your back-yard without being close.

For the mob spawning, MFR and EnderIO both have spawning options. They require power, but that what your shiny new Big Reactor is for. If that's not your thing, you've still got cursed earth which'll net you a decent amount of spawns.

If you are wanting a self-contained solution, the mining laser is a decent bet, and the enderIO spawner, with the MFR grinder (for energy-only input).

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Looking at what Direwold20 himself has done: Ender Quarries (as previously mentioned), moving frame platforms with annihilation planes, and finally frame-mounted mining wells - all using ender rails for transport to and from.

As for mob farms, good old MFR, the spawners from EnderIO, and cursed earth.

Lots of choices! :)