Quality videos - no viewers...yet? (EDIT: growing thanks to this forum!)

Does my FTB series look interesting / funny enough to want to watch more?

• Total voters

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
A bit more of an adventure episode this time - can the brave explorers survive their own curiosity? Watch and see :)

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
More on the Howling Online series with Karucifer - things are beginning to get organised, but we still find time for impromptu adventures :)

(I'm particularly pleased with the editing for the "coming next" ending of this episode, as well as having created a little "brand" logo showing a wolf howling at a moon which took a while. The sound quality on Karucifer's recording was a challenge this episode too and needed quite a collection of filters to get it to sound OK...something we'll be looking to improve in later episodes. If anyone is interested in the use of turtles/computers and would like to see more time spent on programming them, I'd be happy to make special episodes looking just at that. I've put quite a bit of time into something computer related to be revealed soon in a later episode but I'm not sure how much people would want to see the code in detail, so feedback would be welcome as always)

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
I remember when I shot my Intro to my Skyrim Lets roleplay I literally shot it 7 times to get it good.

Yeah, I've often recorded things multiple times - but with the first episode playing FTB, I couldn't re-capture the excitement of everything being new, so I was rather stuck - the newer "howling online" series with Karucifer hasn't had the same issue so it's all good now - well, at least, I think so :)

NanoPaladin

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I've often recorded things multiple times - but with the first episode playing FTB, I couldn't re-capture the excitement of everything being new, so I was rather stuck - the newer "howling online" series with Karucifer hasn't had the same issue so it's all good now - well, at least, I think so :)
Do you have skype by chance?

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
Phew, this episode took much more time to edit thank I'd expected - mostly deciding what to cut and trying to make the cuts as unintrusive as I could. It leads on almost from the last episode - we just finished walking back in between - and sees us getting better equipped before returning to face the Twilight Forest and the big tower we found when we first visited. There are 2 bits where I've added some text scrolling which is very fast to try to read - you'll almost certainly need to use pause to be able to read it - this is mostly intentional. I'd appreciate feedback if anyone watching prefers the picture in picture approach when there's a lot of "action" going on rather than faster cuts between the 2 points of view?

I also thought I'd share what the video edit for this episode looks like to give some indication of the work which goes into lovingly hand crafting every frame ;)

Howling%20-%20Typical%20Video%20Edit%20timeline.png

That's 4 audio streams and 2 video streams which need syncing first, getting the levels corrected and monitored to avoid background game sounds being too intrusive at times but clearly audible when needed, titles and music to add, censoring to do, overlays to add, end credits, transitions, captions and motion tracked (by hand to keep them deliberately 'loose') speech bubbles...all in all, probably about 10 hours on this episode for 25 mins of video based on about 40 mins of game play. Phew - good job I enjoy the editing as much as the Feed the Beast huh? :)

There will hopefully be one more episode from this recording session to share quite soon, and we've recorded the next session already - so editing is getting to be a bit of a bottle neck...so, would you prefer less time spent on editing and more episodes turned around more quickly, or keep to trying to maintain the same (or better) editing standards but episodes needing quite a long time to turn around?

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
Another episode done - see if you can spot the puns I missed in the pun count. I spotted another one at least after uploading :)

mathjazz

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the first video, so I subscribed. I am sorry the video broke, but you picked really pretty screenshots to replace that.

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
Usually there's quite a gap between releasing episodes as I have to squeeze in time editing them between work and other real life things, but today, as a treat ;) there are 2 episodes - because I'd edited it all as one initially but at 40 mins, it was too long so I split it in two.

So, without further ado, here's the 2nd episode today which wraps up the recording we made a while back. We've already recorded the next session, so hopefully I'll get another episode uploaded quite quickly too.

(and Thanks for the new subscribers and positive comments, I hope you enjoy watching the whole series)

[DOUBLEPOST=1367170649][/DOUBLEPOST]...I just noticed that in the file name of the footage in the image of the video edit session, you can see when we recorded it...I'm shocked to realise it was almost a month ago and I've only just managed to finish editing the final bit of footage from that one recording session! Yikes.

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the first video, so I subscribed. I am sorry the video broke, but you picked really pretty screenshots to replace that.

Thanks, and glad you enjoyed. Probably worth noting that the screen shots are all from the other Minecraft series I've done previously - building I've made etc. If you like the screen shots, you might like to look back at those series to see the worlds in more detail :)

Sputuk

Jul 29, 2019
Oops, I just realised I didn't add the last few episodes here for anyone who relies on this feed to be informed that the next instalment is out. So, for anyone who didn't know, here's a bumper 3 episode update:

(We got a little busy off camera after episode 12 so this is mostly a catch up episode of all the changes)

(In this episode, we embark on the next significant adventure into the nether - and I seem to be wearing fire-bat pheromones or something!)

(We finish the nether adventure in a mixture of fire and glory...well, that's how I tell the story :)

As usual, any comments, feedback or suggestions most welcome. I did get some feedback asking for me to share the "todo list" computer code and a video explaining it which I will get onto as soon as I can. I know some people might find a video about programming not to their taste but I hope some people might find it interesting and/or useful. I'm actually quite pleased with my to do code - it's been many years since I did any programming for a living and I've quite enjoyed getting back into coding just for fun :)

ThreeThrid

Jul 29, 2019
Phew - after a lot of pain fighting the video editing software crashing, figuring out how to turn hours of footage into something much shorter but hopefully entertaining, ep. 7 is finally uploaded!

As always, comments and feedback welcome.

love your video!! BTW, how do you make this video? Any specific video editing software adopted? I'm looking for some mp4 editor to do some short videos captured by my BlackBerry 9000. Is there any recommendation?

Reactions: Sputuk