PvP Unleashed Server

Would you join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering,

Who would be up to join a PvP unleashed server? only rules are as follows, there is no interraction with other players untill one week after the server starts (So that you can get recourses together) after that, everything goes.
So.. Who's interested?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
oh dear... that sounds fun in theory. In practicality, I don't see it as an enjoyable experience... You have to pull back so much on Unleashed for pvp/raid that its not anymore interesting than a vanilla raid/pvp server.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Bunch of people running around in MPS. Heart-rending when you lose all your shit.

I'll stick to being the engineer and staying behind lines....

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Bunch of people running around in MPS. Heart-rending when you lose all your shit.

I'll stick to being the engineer and staying behind lines....
eh... its not really MPS fights that worry me except when one MPS just mows through everyone and everything. Its mostly the millions of ways everyone can gank everything from everyone. You slowly find that if anyone still hangs around, everything gets real low tech and mobile, everyone is always hiding, and then nothing.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm.

I think a more organized PvP server would be better then. I had this idea:

You start off in teams and you have a home base. These home bases are well defined in terms of structures/location. It should be mostly open space to allow for free building. Aside from that there should be well defined paths towards a "goal". This goal would be the main focus of the other team.

Each team would spend a week developing their bases defense around preventing the other team from raiding their home base's goal, while trying to get theirs. Once one team takes the other teams "flag" and brings it back home, the game is reset and teams reformed.

If you wanted to go further, have attack/defend teams (PvPers) and builders (PvEers). The PvE jobs would be to get to MPS/build defenses. The PvP jobs would obviously be attack/defend. In essence the PvE players would be supporting the PvP players. As they lose their shit, the PvE players would constantly work to provide them with new weapons/armour.

I was playing with the idea of factions, where bases were block protected, except for the goal and any defenses built along the path towards the goal. This way all the non-combat infrastructure would remain. If a faction took the flag of another faction they would be granted with some sort of bonus for the week. You would have PvE players working around the clock to develop the infrastructure to defend (tesla coils, MFFS, etc.) and developing the infrastructure to assist the PvPers (charge stations, resupply stations, improvements to gear, etc.). The PvP players would stay at the front line and hold it. Check points, etc. would dictate the flow of the battle(s).

It would take a hell of a lot of organization/tweeking, but the idea sounds amazing to me. Looting dead bodies would mean that the winning team would have more resources, while the losing team would constantly have to spend resources to replace what they've lost. This would also prevent everything from being blown to bits and keep things from heading towards a standstill of hiding underground, etc.

edit: This path towards the goal, everything would be up for grabs. This includes all the defensive infrastructure put into place. This would require the engineering teams to constantly replace tesla coils, MFFS, making the cost of defending real and considerable.

You could also play with the idea that each team receives a certain amount of supply per week depending on what checkpoints they have. Though this would kinda take away from the infinite progression everyone wants, but it would create a scarcity to which the most efficient/talented teams would flourish in.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
I'd so play on that server. I like the idea of block protecting infrastructure but not the flag/goal. Another route would be to chunk protect but simply have each team's unprotected flag/goal be outside of their bases-- so your infrastructure isn't threatened and you can recover after having your traps/fort/whatever around your flag destroyed.

I think about stuff like this a lot. Also tower-defense-style stuff. Would love to see some of this happen.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
1. Charge a Nitro Creeper with a Wand of Lightning
2. Capture Charged Nitro Creeper with a Safari Net
3. Set up an Auto-Spawner for Charged Nitro Creepers
4. Build a Mystcraft portal underneath the Auto-Spawner and key it to the air above people's houses
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't:
  1. Minecraft PVP is boring and terrible.
  2. Minecraft PVP is boring and terrible.
  3. Minecraft PVP is best when you have an organization of attacker and defender, or VERY tight resource and time constraints. You propose neither.
  4. You don't have the right forcefield mod in unleashed for great PVP, nor do you have ICBM. These, at least, are clever and interesting ways to do pvp in Minecraft. A week long delay becomes a race for sufficient technology and defenses.

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't:
  1. Minecraft PVP is boring and terrible.
  2. Minecraft PVP is boring and terrible.
  3. Minecraft PVP is best when you have an organization of attacker and defender, or VERY tight resource and time constraints. You propose neither.
  4. You don't have the right forcefield mod in unleashed for great PVP, nor do you have ICBM. These, at least, are clever and interesting ways to do pvp in Minecraft. A week long delay becomes a race for sufficient technology and defenses.

Is there any type of modded minecraft PvP server you would play on?

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
But what if people join late? The pvp delay help nobody and only gives early joiners an advantage.

I would join, but preferably it should be like a Vanilla PvP experience, with the full thing. I keep seeing servers with PvP but no griefing or raiding, or Factions and no raiding. You might as well have PvP arenas! And factions is meant for raiding.

Anyway, my point is that you should look at a popular Vanilla PvP server and model your server after that. Then adjust things accordingly for the modded Minecraft.

I suggest limiting chunk loaders of all kinds, since the lag will affect PvP
I would also disable that one wand from the tf that ignores armour. That would ruin it. I can't remember what wand it was, but in Ultimate, it shot projectiles that did 2 hearts of damage regardless of armour (me and my brother tested it with quantum)
I would also avoid trying to end up as a full OP server, since although the PvP is fun, it will just turn into a full PvP, you might as well have a kit pvp server at that point. Like players should start with iron stuff (reasonable in modded MC) and voting should give maybe a diamond or 2, and donating doesn't become a super OP advantage.

This is just my thoughts, people may disagree.

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
But what about just a server with no rules whatsoever, you can PvP, make alliances, anything.

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
I host a several raid / grief / pvp servers (unleashed, unhinged, dw20_2, ultimate, dw20) and the only real pvp there is who brings the right items. Every single armor has an insta kill counter part so the aspect is really getting the drop on the other players.

The one thing I am still working on is a separate server was making some team fortress like battles with specific items to prevent the insta kills as in all reality an insta kill where it is one click is way to op when it only takes a few blocks to make.

As for the longevity of my servers the ultimate has been up since December and its been working fine with a steady flow of people, but in all reality after a while it turns from pvp raid grief to just build (I run no banned items also including mystcraft, just limited, so alot of people get their mystcraft work make sure the entrance is impentrable and then just start building)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
the only way I see pvp or raid stuff working is that you keep the pvp raid stuff as a side interest or even a controlled environment and you protect the heck out of given chunks. People love raid until they get raided. In my 2 year history with raid servers, when people get raided, they figure better ways to cheat, or they they quit. it is what it is. In FTB, people want to build and learn and form community over technique. Some I would imagine also want to participate in offense or defensive measures, Ultimately as a side interest though. As pathetic as it sounds, when it comes to multiplayer survival servers you have to consider people in FTB almost appreciate Creative (becuase even slightly knowledgable people will beat the hell out of each other even with PvE. I know I would. Events though outside the normal context are excellent ideas.

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
Then it comes down to that if you allow some infinite protection (towny,GP,WG,etc) then as server owners we are held responsible to make sure nothing can get past them. MCPC helps quite a bit, but with the nature of modded minecraft getting all mods to use proper events for protection from the authors would be nearly impossible (not to mention its not from base minecraft until bukkit does replace the main server jar which was mentioned was going to happen a long time ago.....) also having all those events causes more server load for every single block break (think of 100+ quarries is like adding another 100 people, unless there is just a check when it starts that all blocks in the area are good to be broken but then that be a spike lag) so a server running no protections is able to have many more people then a server with protections.

Which is why personally I allow raid/grief/pvp not just because I am a fan of it, but because I know there is no way every thing can be stopped without banning items (which is another debate in itself and for the most part I do not belive it is right to call yourself a ____ modpack server and then ban items when they are doing what the mod author intended , items that cause crashes/dupes/exploits are kinda in a different category and I do not know of a mod in the packs with the FTB configs that would fall in that that category). So as owners we are kinda in a situation of deal with the moaning and complaining when someone does get out of line (rolling back an area does not roll back time) or just let it be allowed and focus on more pressing things like items that are not doing what the mod author intended.