Pumping items into a Fermenter

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

delicateglow

Jul 29, 2019
I got my friend to help and he couldn't figure it out, so here I am posting.

Basically, I have a chest that I want to pump sugar cane and fertilizer into the fermenter.
We used a filter to pump the items to the bottom side of the fermenter. It's clear that's the side for fertilizer, but what about for sugar cane? Top? When we connect it to the top, it wont budge. Nothing is pumped out of the filter. Help?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As a aside my first map while learning the mods I ended up using Golems for my biomass production. Pumped water in one side and biomass out the other. The Golems kept it loaded with wheat and compost all the time. Made for a nice clean look with no worry about item overflow.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
i used relays for my fermenter so it is working as it should.
One an the bottom one on the top.

Keppe

Jul 29, 2019
I connected the Pneumatic tube directly to the top of my fermenter and a restriction tube after that which leads into a chest, should the fermenter not accept the saplings.
Unless you have lots of items being processed and little energy for the Fermenter it should keep up and just in case, theres the overflow chest.

Phycoz

Jul 29, 2019
All I did was connect an RP tube to the top of my fermenter and it puts the sugar cane into the correct spot.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Can I see a screenshot?
2013-01-11_16.18.57.png

2013-01-11_16.19.18.png

My sorting isn't setup fully, so I have to manually load the chests, but a manager loading each chest should work fine. Note that that's a 5x5x8 tank (3200 buckets) and was filled *AND* a 5x5x8 biofuel tank was filled, on less than a single chest of mulch.

Side: Power
Back: Water
Front: Output biomass
Top: Input saplings/wheat/plantballs
Bottom: Input mulch.

All those levers are to power the liquiduct, they're on covers that are connected to the conduit just behind them. I wish there was a better way to do that, the timer and red allow that triggers the two filters below actually powers the bottom set of output liquiducts, but I put it on a long timer (10sec) and it's not enough.

Two biogas engines are visible on the left, I have a 2x2x3 liquid fueld HP boiler now with steam engines, but I left the biogas engines because...why not? The peat engines also visible aren't loaded with peat. I used them as additional power because the biogas wasn't able to power my whole factory.

kcbanner

Jul 29, 2019
Cool! That looks great. Do you have an automated wheat farm powering it? Or do you feed it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Cool! That looks great. Do you have an automated wheat farm powering it? Or do you feed it.

I started off with two oak tree farms that I used saplings from. Shortly after I built the fermenters I switched to rubber trees and added a 6xwheat+1 combine setup. The wheat gets burned through very very fast, so I think the fermenters spend about half time on wheat and half time on plantballs.

Plantballs generate 0.4 buckets of biomass.
Wheat generates 0.1 buckets
Saplings generate 0.8

Rubber trees definitely drop less saplings than oak, but the number of plantballs far outweigh that loss, and the plantballs are an otherwise-waste product of my methane production for EU power.

kcbanner

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, ok. I'm running a single tree farm right now with a peat farm to power it. That provides enough for me to run a 36 LP boiler with the biofuel. I'm just working on bees now so I can make capsules so my peat farm makes 8 bog earth instead of 6; then I won't need to feed it dirt.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I started off with two oak tree farms that I used saplings from. Shortly after I built the fermenters I switched to rubber trees and added a 6xwheat+1 combine setup. The wheat gets burned through very very fast, so I think the fermenters spend about half time on wheat and half time on plantballs.

Plantballs generate 0.4 buckets of biomass.
Wheat generates 0.1 buckets
Saplings generate 0.8

Rubber trees definitely drop less saplings than oak, but the number of plantballs far outweigh that loss, and the plantballs are an otherwise-waste product of my methane production for EU power.

I've mentioned this in several other threads, but methane can also be used as fuel for a liquid boiler, and the plantballs can be macerated into dirt to be used for humus for the tree farm. To each their own, but how many farms do you need to run to keep a full powered fermenter fed? I've tried it with some admitedly small farms (15 x 15 so each farm fits in a chunk) but I was using 2 sugarcanes and a cactus farm and those alone couldn't even keep up with the demand of 2 stills, much less the 4 that a fermenter can support.

@kcbanner Have you tried automating a carpenter? You have to have the recipe already set in it to work, but after doing that simple step you can pipe in the dirt, sand, and mulch into an adjacent chest and it'll autocraft it. This also becomes easier to deal with in some ways since you can either pipe in water or put it next to an aqeuous accumulator and you won't have to worry about capsules for bog earth anymore.

kcbanner

Jul 29, 2019
@Daemonblue, yes I thought about the carpenter, but I have no mulch; I use it in my fermenter. And I don't actually keep the fermenter fed (it is usually idle) but it keeps up with the fully heated 500 C boiler's fuel demands, so it doesn't have to. Once the boiler is heated and I have enough fuel production to keep it running then I consider my factory complete.[DOUBLEPOST=1357973796][/DOUBLEPOST]My bottleneck is really getting enough sand to keep the peat farm fully fed. I have to manually add sand currently. I will probably add a pulverizer/extruder setup.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I've mentioned this in several other threads, but methane can also be used as fuel for a liquid boiler

Of course it can, but itcant run biofuel and methane interchangeably. Without using biofuel more items would be wasted. I currently halve the plantballs, half get maceratedand the carpenter bleeds off the (very few) it needs and the rest is centrifuged for sand and clay. Carpenter again bleeds off the sand it needs and the rest is recycled.

The clay is the goal of the process, providing both aluminum and lithium. Aluminium is incredibly useful.[/quote]