Pulverizer vs. Macerator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Could someone tell me what the benefits of using a Macerator are? Compared to Pulverizers, Macerators seem to be more expensive and slower @ stock. Of course you could add enhancements to the Macerator but why waste the resources when the Pulverizer works just as fine stock? Also the Pulverizer gives a chance to get an extra resource unlike the Macerator.

So why should anyone build a Macerator? Is there a secret that I'm missing with it?

Thanks

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
The theme of the week seems to be.

Build the Pulverizer first.. For you can get off your feet faster.

And as time goes by, and you can afford the upgrades build a Macerators if you want to speed up the process.

If you don't care about speed then the pulverizer is fine.. Painfully slow when you have thousands of ores to proccess.. But its fine.
At that point.. Cost does not matter really.

Pulverizer uses buildcraft energy which about 90% of the other mods support and use well.
Macerator has EU which is another type of energy source. It can be used and converted to buildcraft energy though.. Not very efficiant.

I personally love EU Power and Macerator because of its speed advantage.. But we already had this discussion this week... And pretty much came to the conclusion early game Pulverizer for the win.

Oh you can also triple your ore output with a pullverizer and the Slag. Not the stock slag but the 2nd tier stuff.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
The by themselves, the pulverizer is much much better, but if you factor in upgrades, then the macerator is by far the superior.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't compared the two in with the latest updates, but last time I did check, there were a couple things the Macerator did slightly better. I think Blaze Powder from Blaze Rods is one of them, and of course Dirt from Plant Balls is something the Pulverizer doesn't have at all.

But the real winner is the Induction Furnace. You need both it and the Pulverizer to put the Rich Slag to use, but the Induction Furnace combines processes, is even faster and more efficient than the single-process Pulverizer, and the Pulverizer only gets 5% extra dust depending on the ore compared to the 20% chance for Rich Slag.

Malkuth's statement on output is a bit misleading. The Rich Slag triples your Induction Smelter output, but is preferably done with REprocessed metal, not fresh ores, and the total average output is 220%, not 300%.

Tyqae

Jul 29, 2019
As Malkuth went over, there was a rather long argument over this already, and as Bellaab just showed, better is seen by the macerator camp as being faster whereas better by the pulverizer camp is extra ores. What Gregtech does in the Mindcrack pack though, the Pulverizer is (again as Malkuth said) the clear choice for early game due to simple start up no matter the end choice.

Simply it comes down to cost and speed versus extra ores and a consistant speed.