Pros/Cons of Mindcrack to Ultimate

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Haruchai

Jul 29, 2019
We've been running Mindcrack for a few weeks and the guys are wanting to start using FTB Ultimate. What do you think pros/cons would be of taking an existing world and slapping it into Ultimate? Right now, Mindcrack is such a resource hog that I don't know how we can run Ultimate and keep the server from asploding.

Anyway...would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
If you are worried about asploding, disable mystcraft. Some of the other mods might be a little more resource intensive, like Applied Energistics, but I havent been able to put my server up to the strain yet, 5 players max until server release.

marcusant

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think that Mindcrack is better as it was designed to be used in a server environment on the Mindcrack FTB server that Guude made. (As opposed to others which are mainly intended for single player/small server use)

Phicksur

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone actually DONE a conversion?

I am running a server using MindCrack and am considering shifting it over to Ultimate, but I don't want the world to get all weird or blocks IDs to have changed so much that things become unplayable. I know Traincraft was the only thing removed from MindCrack and is not in Ultimate (I compared). Given that almost no one has used Traincraft that shouldn't be a big deal.

Thus, I am trying to find out if anyone has already done this and whether or not it is safe to perform.

messywrk

Jul 29, 2019
I really would consider just making a backup and trying it for an evening.. I've so far read from 2 or 3 guys that said the migration worked without problems, and as
Mindcrack / DW20 migration seems to work fine too, go have a shot .. :D

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Oh shit, totally forgot about traincraft, bummer. Actually liked that one, the trains were actually pretty cool. Might just have to add it in.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Ours was fine, apart from some weird glitch with a tank turtle. We decided not to add in traincraft right now as neither of us was using it. We'll keep it as an option to add in at a later date if we want. (Very small server, only two of us).

Haruchai

Jul 29, 2019
I attempted to convert by d/l the world from our hosted server and doing the conversion on my home machine. As Ultimate has several of the extraBiomes disabled, I tried to remember which ones were enabled in MC and turned them on. So far, I'm seeing ok results. A few errors here and there, but I haven't been to everyone's base yet to see about machines, etc.

More importantly, though, is whether or not we can even run the extra stuff that comes with Ultimate. Right now, on a commercial host, we hit the ceiling with only 6 players online (and we don't have Mystcraft installed). It's run on a shared machine and we get one core. The monthly rental is less than thirty bucks, but moving to a dedicated machine would cost us a buck twenty. I need a good crystal ball...if anyone has one.

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
On the most recent Ultimate_Server I downloaded, none of the extra biomes were disabled, which is good, since it means the world should copy over fine.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I was debating doing this at first but then I thought about the balance and feel of the pack.. I like the mindcrack pack the mods in it work well together. the ultimate pack honestly just has to much in it for me.. Well not really that it has to much in it its that the mods that are in it, some of them I just dont think go well together.

I added a few mods to my mindcrack server so if i really want anything out of the ultimate pack I can just add it in its only 4 of us that play on the server anyways. I already have mystcraft and bibliocraft on my mindcrack server thinking about added thaumic bees and maybe AE although Im affraid of reworking my whole storage and sorting if I do that lol. I'm really picky about what mods I want on my server. I know you can just delete mods from ultimate but i dont see it worth me switching at this point.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at the mods included in the Ultimate pack I am thinking about switching if I can remove certain mods without any issues since Some of them I was going to add to my mindcrack server anyways or already have added...

Could I remove these mods from the ultimate pack when I switch from mondcrack to ultimate and not have any issues?

Minefactory Reloaded, Powerconverters, Nether Ores, XReliquary, EE3.

I don't like the balance of those mods and think some of them make things to easy or have op items. I like to keep gregtech on hard and like a challenge, some things in those mods just don't fit the "feel" of the server and upset the balance.

Also I would probably re add traincraft as I didn't get to mess with it much and I think it looked like a really cool mod.

Does anyone see any issues with switching from Mindcrack to ultimate that I would run into?

And do you think its even worth switching when the only mods I am missing from Mindcrack that I want are:, Applied Energistics, Modular Powersuits & thaumic bees. I already added Mystcraft and biblio craft to my mindcrack server.

I might be better off just staying with Mindcrack and adding what I want. WHat do you think?

Haruchai

Jul 29, 2019
I'm no expert on these mods, but I have looked at the config files after our server decided to make the change (from MC to Ultimate). NetherOres looks like a bit of fun. A chance of having ores explode, nearby pigmen turning hostile when an ore is mined. I like it. Of the ones in your list, I'd say EE3 is the most problematic. It's config file doesn't really allow for a lot of changes.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I'm no expert on these mods, but I have looked at the config files after our server decided to make the change (from MC to Ultimate). NetherOres looks like a bit of fun. A chance of having ores explode, nearby pigmen turning hostile when an ore is mined. I like it. Of the ones in your list, I'd say EE3 is the most problematic. It's config file doesn't really allow for a lot of changes.

Yah I guess nether ores would be alright I would probably keep that one but the others I listed I would remove from my server for sure. Im not sure if its worth making the switch for me since I dont want all the mods in the ultimate just a few that I don't currently have in Mindcrack

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Nether ores is good if you turn down some of the spawn rates. When I played tekkit, I could get two stacks of diamonds in half an hour, just by strip mining in the lower levels of the nether, under the lava.
Minefactory kinda unbalances the agriculture stuff, but the animal breeding, sorting and harvesting blocks are really nice.

I am a little worried about modular powersuits, because it really messes with the IC2, gravisuite and Gregtech balance, since it is a whole lot cheaper than the quantum and gravichest armor, and provides similar armor benefits, and some of the extra features. Kinda defeats the purpose of the drills and chainsaw too.

Im not familiar with XReliquary, but apparently it adds transmutation, and could be pretty unbalanced. If you dont want transmutation on your server, I would recommend disabling it or those items.

But definitely upgrade your server, sounds like a great value.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
I am a little worried about modular powersuits, because it really messes with the IC2, gravisuite and Gregtech balance, since it is a whole lot cheaper than the quantum and gravichest armor, and provides similar armor benefits, and some of the extra features. Kinda defeats the purpose of the drills and chainsaw too.
This is what a lot of people say before trying it, but I haven't heard of someone saying it and then not eating their words :) (small issue, if Ultimate has vanilla recipes on then it will be way cheaper, but that's not the default when gregtech is installed...)

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Im mainly concerned with balance, as I play with gregtech hardmode on, as it should be. UU is just way too easy to get with the mass fab.

Profjb

Jul 29, 2019
About traincraft - Im not sure if anynone else has noticed the entirely large lag on servers. We had to reset and replace this mod after it caused 1FPS lag at spawn.
About mystcraft - This has honestly been the most dispointing thing ive ever used so far in the newest version. The symbols don't work half of the time and it causes severe server wide lag. We only had 2 worlds running and it decreased block break tie by at least 2 seconds. We run on 6gb RAM and a E3 xeon processor. So there is no problem in specs.

Phicksur

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, for what it is worth I will provide an update on our server.

We have been running Ultimate on our server (which was migrated from MindCrack) for several weeks now. The only issues we've noticed:

1) When someone is making a NEW Mystcraft world, it will lag the server down a bit. I figure this is normal and have dissuaded folks from making a ton of Mystcraft worlds.
2) Windmills eventually drop down to 0 production if the server isn't rebooted relatively frequently, even with World Anchors keeping the chunks loaded.
3) There is a bit of lag every now and then, but there are 5 quarries running on the server and we're expecting that's the root cause.

Otherwise, after I changed the config files to allow all the snowy biomes there were in MindCrack, no one has noticed any other problems.