Problems with AM2 affinities

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jimagine

Jul 29, 2019
There are a number of powerful and useful spells I would like to use, but I strongly dislike the disadvantages of most affinities that I would probably end up with.

Affinity tomes(cheated in) appear to not lock your affinities once you get to 100% like the compendium says should happen. Perhaps this works with normal affinity gains? If it does, then that would probably (mostly)solve my problems.

So, what does everyone else do to manage their ars magica 2 affinities, and the disadvantages that you end up getting?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There are a number of powerful and useful spells I would like to use, but I strongly dislike the disadvantages of most affinities that I would probably end up with.

Affinity tomes(cheated in) appear to not lock your affinities once you get to 100% like the compendium says should happen. Perhaps this works with normal affinity gains? If it does, then that would probably (mostly)solve my problems.

So, what does everyone else do to manage their ars magica 2 affinities, and the disadvantages that you end up getting?
Usually don't care unless I get Ender high enough. Life would be a pain as well due to the nausea effect tending to cause it in real life as well for me, but most of 'em are fine in my books.

Also, while its not in FTB, if you want to get Affinity Tomes without cheating them in, check out Better Dungeons, or Chocolate Quest as its also known. AM2 has specific built in support for it, adding affinity tomes and infinity orbs to the places it adds, not to mention a few other more minor things...

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not that far to be affected by affinities, but I heard you can use disarm on a dark mage, dropping a Affinity: NONE book. That is supposed to reset your affinities.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Build counter spells. See what your favorite spells do to your affinity and then build a spell that counters just the affinity gains. Or build the affinity counters directly into the spell when you get high enough level. You have to get creative with that sometimes so you don't kill the effect you wanted with the spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimagine

Jul 29, 2019
...build the affinity counters directly into the spell when you get high enough level....

I tried this as well, but I can't seem to make "neutral" spells. a projectile, frost damage,lightning damage spell increases my frost affinity, but if I make a projectile, lightning damage, frost damage(switch the positions of the two) then I gain lightning affinity...

I suppose building counter spells is the only real option if I want to be a neutral/generalist wizard, but casting dig a lot so I can fly more doesn't sound fun.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I tried this as well, but I can't seem to make "neutral" spells. a projectile, frost damage,lightning damage spell increases my frost affinity, but if I make a projectile, lightning damage, frost damage(switch the positions of the two) then I gain lightning affinity...

I suppose building counter spells is the only real option if I want to be a neutral/generalist wizard, but casting dig a lot so I can fly more doesn't sound fun.
There is no "generalist" affinity, unless you count Arcane, which is about as close to that as it comes. Upsides: Cheaper spells, chance to proc an effect that makes your next spell cost 0 mana every cast. Downsides: Weaker to magic as a whole. Get some magic resistant armor and you should be fine.

jimagine

Jul 29, 2019
There is no "generalist" affinity, unless you count Arcane, which is about as close to that as it comes. Upsides: Cheaper spells, chance to proc an effect that makes your next spell cost 0 mana every cast. Downsides: Weaker to magic as a whole. Get some magic resistant armor and you should be fine.

When I say I want to be a Generalist, I mean 0% in all affinities, jack of all trades-master of none sort of thing. But perhaps I am too paranoid about the disadvantages, affinities take quite awhile to shift anyways.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
For the affinity tomes, I have heard that if you cast disarm on dark mages, you get affinity tome (NONE)

Affinity tomes don't lock your affinity to 100%, they reduce everything by 10% excepting the affinity they are, increasing that one by 10%

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
When I say I want to be a Generalist, I mean 0% in all affinities, jack of all trades-master of none sort of thing. But perhaps I am too paranoid about the disadvantages, affinities take quite awhile to shift anyways.
You're better off aiming for 100% arcane if you want 0% in everything(casting any spell will boost your affinity to the spell's affinities).

And yes, you guys are paranoid. Unless you're at full depth in an affinity, you are very unlikely to even notice either the passive benefits or drawbacks(except for Life and Ender which it's pretty clean when they are at 50% or so). And aside from a few basic drawbacks to every affinity, most of the time the benefit is greater then the drawbacks(except for Life and Ender which both are hell once they drawbacks kick in IMO). So what if your water affinity is at 100%? A trip to the nether will reduce your health by 4 hearts(or was it life and thus half-hearts?) while your there, big deal. So what if you get hungry quicker without an open sky with 100% Plant. Get some light and you are fed like the tree you might as well be. Oh noes, my Arcane depth is high enough that I'm now weaker to magic. Oh well, I guess I should put on my mage robes when going out then. I keep getting struck by lightning with my max Lightning Affinity! Wasn't there some weird cross mod exploit or another that involved getting struck by lightning, let me double check... Oh yeah, free Nether Stars for Everyone!

And even the drawbacks to Life are pretty tame. Oh noes, I get sick when I kill something! Man, maybe I'll wait for it to wear off and let my health regenerate regardless of how hungry.

Ender though, uh, kinda sucks. I hope I'm not too rough on it, but there are 3 drawbacks at 2 benefits, which isn't very ideal anyway since most affinities have 2 benefits and 1 drawback, and the benefits are 40% poison resistance at 100% depth and somewhere around 50% you get night vision when it's dark enough. Wow, gee, that really makes it worth the pain when I go out in the sun, go for a swim, or get rained on, eh?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're over generalising, for instance, I quite prefer the ender affinity, 2 hearts is a great trade off for night vision in my opinion.
Whilst life affinity draw back? Not only does my character get nauseous with the effect, I do too.

There are preferences all about, don't have a go at us for having a different opinion to you.