problem with using the console through PuTTY on VPS

E

ew000ny

So I have a problem, I launch my server using screen, I type in screen -s ftb, then the server launches. As it has fully loaded, I can use the console, then I try to turn off putty and turn it on, everything's okay, then after a minute, after connecting to the server, I try to put something into the console and press enter, but that just doesn't do anything, even tho I'm on the screen.

N

NocturnalSergal

is the server still running after you run the command? and the log file would be a great help,

Personal Opinion

I use tmux over screen, i dont rember why but tmux works quite well with minecraft and many applications (honestly if i didnt need a stupid terminal acess point for people i would just use tmux)

also some info that may be of use

RAM:
Anything Special about this vps?:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Are you using the screen command to reconnect to the minecraft console? Are you aware of how to connect/disconnect/recconnect to it properly or are you just trying to run it again? Here is condensed version of the commands I use for screen
  • screen -list lists all of the sceen sessions and their status
  • screen -r [name] reconnect to a screen using the name. If you only have one screen session it should just reconnect to that one
  • ctrl-a then "d" key while in a screen looing at your minecraft console use ctrl-a followed by the "d" to disconnect from the screen - this is the proper way of leaving the screen before you disconnect putty.
Anyway, I hope this helps.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@NocturnalSergal for my own personal interesting I'm doing some reading about tmux now. But one question I have that I can't seem to find an answer for is this. Can you insert command/text into a tmux session? For example right now with screen I have cron jobs setup to start/stop/restart and backup my minecraft server. These all work by injecting command from the cron script into the screen session.