Problem with Liquids, sands, and gravels. Direwolf & Mindcrack

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all. I am having an issue with my graphics.
  1. Liquids don't seem to update. If I dig under a pool of lava, I don't see the lava, but I get burned.
  2. When I stop a water source block, the water remains. Sometimes I can right-click it and it goes away.
  3. Some blocks don't show, specifically gravel and sand after they fall, but they are there and I have to right click to see them
I am currently using
  1. Direwolf Pack, v5.0.1
  2. Optifine 1.4.6_HD_U_C3
  3. Minecraft Forge 6.6.0.515
In the past, I had this problem with Mindcrack and read up on it. Someone suggested it was a problem with Forge, so I updated it and it basically obliterated my base. When I logged back in, most of my factory was missing. Levers and signs were still there, but practically everything else was gone. I then had to do a fresh install of Feed the Beast because no matter what I did, I could not get rid of Forge. It may be important to note that Forge did not show up on the main title screen despite it being listed under installed jar mods in the launcher.

Progress
  1. I have been able to determine through a process of elimination that Optifine may be the problem. Upon disabling it, the issue goes away.
Conclusion

I am seeking a "layman terms" explanation as to how to fix this. I've searched the internet and at most I find vague explanations, spiteful arguments, and conflicting opinions. What version of Forge do I need, and how do I install it correctly? What version of Optifine do I need? If anyone can help with this, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

bob marley

Jul 29, 2019
you need to match optifine to forge to prove this disable optifine and see if that fixes your problem

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
That was my initial finding. But when I put the new forge in, almost my entire factory was missing. I installed forge the same way I did Optifine through the FTB launcher. Was this the incorrect way to install forge?

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly. I hope you had a backup of your world! :(

It's a mod that needs to be installed directly into the minecraft.jar file itself, although FTB has a special way to handle that. If you installed it the same way you installed Optifine that was probably right, but I doubt it was installed correctly somehow.

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
I'm certainly not opposed to the possibility that I installed it incorrectly. I did install it exactly the same way I did Optifine. As for the back up, no I didn't but thats okay. It's just a game and half the fun for me is starting over from scratch. I just wish I could get a version running that had both Forge and Optifine working. Once I get home from work, I'm going to go over all the details and try to put the new forge on there. Is there a specific version of Forge that I need for Direwolf or Mindcrack, or are is Forge somewhat universal? As always, thank you for the help.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
The obvious question is whether Optifine was installed correctly too. :p

Anyway.

Basically, updates to Forge either add new features useful for modders or add bugfixes to existing features. That means that most of the time updating Forge doesn't break compatibility with older mods, but it does mean that mods reliant on new features in newer versions of Forge won't work in older versions. In other words, Forge isn't universal but it's rare that it breaks existing mods when it updates. It happens occasionally though, which usually prompts a quick update to that mod to restore compatibility.

In the case of FTB, they work fine with the latest Forge which is now #523 so if in doubt, use that. Funnily enough a new feature was added to Forge very recently.

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so here is where I am at now.
  1. I downloaded the latest Forge - minecraftforge-javadoc-1.4.7-6.6.1.523.zip.
  2. Using the Edit Mod Pack tab in the launcher, I enabled this mod in the Jar Mods Tab.
  3. I launched Direwolf.
  4. No mods show up at all.
  5. When I go back to the Jar Mods Tab, it just lists it as "Minecraft Forge" in both the enabled and disabled tables and will not permit me to enable or disable either of them.
  6. Re-updated Direwolf and now its back to 6.6.0.515, and all of the mods show back up.
Based on this, I have no clue why I cannot update Forge. Whenever I do, it kills everything. So am I installing it incorrectly? Is there another step in the installation process of forge other than adding it to the Jar Mods tab in the Edit Mod Pack? I am at a loss.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
That's not Forge. That's Forge's documentation.

Download the universal package.

"src" is the source code, which you only need if you're going to use Forge to mod.

Reactions: andbruu

Frized

Jul 29, 2019
Velotican, thank you very much for your insight and patience. As is usually the case when it comes to me and this computer, I was the problem. A "PICNIC" error if you will. Problem In Chair, Not In Computer. All is installed and running fine.

rotwhip3

Jul 29, 2019
i might be doing something wrong, this didnt seem to work, even though i have the same problem, what are the EXACT steps to intsall the forge?

h3y4

Jul 29, 2019
THANK YOU!
I have been attempting to deal with this problem for the last three days. And just this afternoon i decided that i might need to reload a new world and loose all of my progress.
Now as fun as that seems, I didn't want to do that and the tips supplied here have helped me VERY much.
Again, thanks.
Uber'.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
These packs need an update pronto. The version of Forge they used is... not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.