Problem with engines

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

4nic

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to use Iron gates to to keep my engines from blowing up, i have them set to have work = redstone signal, only thing is that they arent working when the redstone signal is on, am i missing anything?
2013-01-18_14.46.44.png
2013-01-18_14.46.57.png

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Put a lever next to them. Now do they work?

If not, the problem's a chunk error that I thought was just fixed but maybe wasn't. If so, I dunno. But there's really no reason to try to prevent Biogas Engines from blowing, they won't explode.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I've found the behavior of gates sending/receiving redstone signals to be weird and inconsistent in some cases. You might need to route the redstone wire away from the gate to a solid block adjacent to the engine to get it to work. Haven't done my research to figure out exactly how it works, though...

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Biogas engines, when turned off, first need to cool down to zero degrees before they can work again. On the plus side, they will never blow up. They are intended to be ran continuously.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Biogas engines, when turned off, first need to cool down to zero degrees before they can work again.

Are you sure you're not thinking of combustion engines? I was pretty sure biogas engines could be stopped and restarted without having to cool down first. They will need to consume a bit of their lava if they're too cold, though.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see the answer, so here it goes...

When using an engine with conductive pipe, you absolutely need a stone or gold conductive pipe after the wooden one.
I don't quite know why, but that is how BC work, and it has been so for quite a while.

So, either place your engines directly near the machine, or use stone/gold conductive pipes between the wooden and the machine.

EDIT: And no, biogas engines don't need to cool down, it's the reverse.
They need to heat up with a bit of lava if they have cooled down too much.

Reactions: JasonZZ

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Biogas engines sometime bug out and not draw fuel from their internal tanks (see FAQ)
(Check the internal tab to see if their actually producing power)​

Also (as far as I'm aware), engines need to be directly attached to a machine, or run through 2+ lengths of conductive pipe/conduit to transmit power.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Biogas engines sometime bug out and not draw fuel from their internal tanks (see FAQ)
(Check the internal tab to see if their actually producing power)​

Also (as far as I'm aware), engines need to be directly attached to a machine, or run through 2+ lengths of conductive pipe/conduit to transmit power.
Not 2+ length.
It has to do with how the wooden conductive pipes operate. They will only transmit power to an adjacent non wooden conductive pipe.

You will also notice that you can't place a wooden conductive pipe in a circuit, as power won't transmit through it either.