Private Mod Pack Submissions open

GustoniaEagle

Jul 29, 2019
Damn! Only just noticed this after I submitted my pack! I hope you guys find a solution that's best for all of us!

karelmikie3

Jul 29, 2019
maybe you could make an sort of server program people can download and use to stream their own modpack from their own server

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what you mean.
I suspect what he means (and I'm just guessing here), is something similar to server texture packs. So you have the modpack stored on the server and then as soon as someone connects it downloads the pack from the server.

Just a guess and I think something similar has been suggested before. Now I'm no expert but to me that sounds like a major rewrite of Minecraft client and server to make this work, so doesn't seem possible. I'm undoubtedly wrong though :p

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I suspect what he means (and I'm just guessing here), is something similar to server texture packs. So you have the modpack stored on the server and then as soon as someone connects it downloads the pack from the server.

Just a guess and I think something similar has been suggested before. Now I'm no expert but to me that sounds like a major rewrite of Minecraft client and server to make this work, so doesn't seem possible. I'm undoubtedly wrong though :p
An reasonable interpretation, but I'm thrown by the "use to stream".

From a technical standpoint you are correct. Minecraft launches with a unique setup(and takes its time doing it). At best you might be able to write something that downloaded a pack, then restarted the instance. But from what I understand, even that would require a major rewrite.

Kaz!

Jul 29, 2019
An reasonable interpretation, but I'm thrown by the "use to stream".

From a technical standpoint you are correct. Minecraft launches with a unique setup(and takes its time doing it). At best you might be able to write something that downloaded a pack, then restarted the instance. But from what I understand, even that would require a major rewrite.

Actually it wouldn't require that much in the field of coding, spout does something very similar in this business.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
So, if we don't want to use the launcher's private pack option now it's closed. We could just have everyone on a server edit a modpack on the launcher and use that, say add 'x' mods to the mindcrack pack. As long as the server was running those mods, that should work, right?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
So, if we don't want to use the launcher's private pack option now it's closed. We could just have everyone on a server edit a modpack on the launcher and use that, say add 'x' mods to the mindcrack pack. As long as the server was running those mods, that should work, right?
Yep, the problem is the configs. If you add a mod whose default block id's conflict with one of the mods in the pack, you have to distribute a fixed config to all your users.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
So FTB still has ID conflicts? can't I just copy mindcrack/DW20 configs into the other pack with the mod and they will function together?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
So FTB still has ID conflicts? can't I just copy mindcrack/DW20 configs into the other pack with the mod and they will function together?
If all you are doing is using mods from one and copying them to the other, that works fine.(I believe the exception is compact solars and advanced solars, I think they both use the same ID) The other option is to wait for the ultimate pack to come out and use that. The plan is for it to be released later this week.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Oh that's cool, I think i'll wait then, it'll be easier to disable unwanted mods than add things together like a patchwork quilt. Thanks for the headsup.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I will be assessing the possibility of opening up more slots after I get the Monday updates done tomorrow. New slots will be on a first come first served basis, so go ahead and submit your pack to get on the list.

Karimiri

Jul 29, 2019
i have question about central permissions spreadsheet: since few more mods were added to FTB(ultimate-pack) and xycraft got completed(or something), will there be any update to that list anytime soon ?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
The spreadsheet is not static. It is updated whenever one of the editors has time. If there is a specific mod you think should be updated, either contact cozie or just post here with the mod name, link and new policy.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Submissions are now open again. See the op for details.