Request Prevent players from breaking blocks within a certain area (HELP)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently creating a fallout-themed modpack. It is, as I see it, a mix between a typical stranded/skyblock type of modpack but with a vast custom world with buildings, cities and towns to explore and loot. Also, none of that damn ex nihilio. The start and mid-game revolves a lot around creating your base and exploring the world to find resources and what not. Anyways, I was also thinking about implementing a dungeon system - you know, the type you'd find in, say, World of Warcraft. You first need to find the dungeon entrace, where you will find a portal which leads into the dungeon itself. Simple stuff. I've got all that figured out. However, when players are in dungeons, I wish they couldn't break blocks. I know stuff like flying and what not can't really be restricted, but is there a way to possibly prevent players from breaking and, if possible, placing blocks at all? Thanks in advance.

Vagaprime

Jul 29, 2019
If you are running a custom world by using lockdown so that the same map is used each time a world is created then you can place command blocks the are triggered when the players enter the dungeon the runs the gamemode command for nearby players switching them over to adventure mode then having a second command block set up at the end to put them back into survival.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Setting their gamemode to adventure when they are in the dungeon?

If you are running a custom world by using lockdown so that the same map is used each time a world is created then you can place command blocks the are triggered when the players enter the dungeon the runs the gamemode command for nearby players switching them over to adventure mode then having a second command block set up at the end to put them back into survival.

Ah, I see. Didn't think about that. It seems kinda messy tho, what if someone goes into a dungeon, runs it halfway, inventory full of loot and they TP back to base? They'll just be stuck in adventure mode.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
The player detector from DE or a lot of them? If they detect a player they emit a redstone signal. You could use them to make sure that the player won't be stuck in adventure mode

Coco12570

Jul 29, 2019
Try the Dimensional Control mod and put all your dungeons in a dimension set to adventure mode. Unless it's crucial that the dungeons be in the overworld this is a much cleaner and a much more likely work solution.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Try the Dimensional Control mod and put all your dungeons in a dimension set to adventure mode. Unless it's crucial that the dungeons be in the overworld this is a much cleaner and a much more likely work solution.

So Dimensional Control lets me create a new dimension that is automaticly and permanently set in adventure mode?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Right, so, I got the whole dimension creation thing, all the settings, yada yada. That's all done. However, I can't figure out how to make it so that it sets your mode to adventure mode?
Al though I don't have an answer to your current question I would like to point out that perhaps adventure mode is not the solution as people can still break blocks if they have the correct tool
(thus they can break wood if they have an axe, stone with an pickaxe and so on)
If you have thaumcraft you might be able to ward all the blocks of the dungeons so they can't be broken

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Al though I don't have an answer to your current question I would like to point out that perhaps adventure mode is not the solution as people can still break blocks if they have the correct tool
(thus they can break wood if they have an axe, stone with an pickaxe and so on)
If you have thaumcraft you might be able to ward all the blocks of the dungeons so they can't be broken

No... No they can't... If you're in Adventure mode, you cannot break or place any blocks with any tools, unless you change it through the use of a command (blocks).

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
unless we are not talking about minecraft 1.7.10
from the minecraft wiki
From 12w32a - 1.7.10
Some things to keep in mind: you CAN place blocks, and you CAN break blocks with the appropriate tools.
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Adventure_survival#From_12w32a_-_1.7.10

also
1.3.1 12w22a Added Adventure mode. Accessible through the cheats command, /gamemode 2 <playername> or /gamemode adventure <playername>. It is still possible to craft in Adventure mode both with the 2×2 crafting grid in the player's inventory and with the full sized 3×3 crafting table. The player can still interact with blocks with an interface, such as chests, dispensers, crafting tables, furnaces and brewing stands. The player can also go through portals, but cannot activate one by using flint and steel; flint and steel can be used to activate TNT.
1.4.2 12w34a Certain blocks can now be removed with the correct tools and all blocks can be placed.[3]
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Adventure

of course if you want to make it for 1.8 then you are right in that players shouldn't be able to destroy and place blocks.