Preferred wall / floor / ceiling thickness...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
My base in a square (vertical view)

StoneBricks: Z Air/tubing: X
ZZZZZZZZ
XXXXXXX<Here goes energy to other levels, connected to my first level)
XXXXXXX<Here goes Liquiducts for the next level, connected to my first one)
ZZZZZZZZ
ZXXZ<Liquiducts connecting)
ZXXZ<Energy connecting)
ZXXZ<Applied energestics) Then > Machines.
ZXXZ<energy connecting)
ZXXZ<Liquiducts connecting)
ZZZZZZZZZ
XXXXXXXX<Here starts energy for current lvl)
XXXXXXXX<Here starts liquiducts for this level)
XXXXXXXX<Generators and stuff)
ZZZZZZZZZ

Base level:

ZXZ
Z< Tank roof
ZXZ
ZXZ
ZXZ
ZXZ
Z< Tank base
ZX^Liquiducts input

Screenshots are so hard to upload XD

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Except, I don't do it for organizational purposes.

Right.

a sort of anxiety that is only alleviated by insuring that my pattern is done to completion.

You're fulfilling a pattern, not doing something for repetition for repetition's sake. Placing a 3 block buffer in case there is a need isn't doing something repeatedly just to do it. It is completing something in an ordered plan.

From Wikipedia:
“Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions."

You went that far, why not look up OCPD as well instead of falling into confirmation bias?

Also from Wikipedia:
Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, mental and interpersonal control at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency. In contrast to people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), behaviors are rational and desirable to people with OCPD.

OCPD is a chronic non-adaptive pattern of extreme perfectionism, preoccupation with neatness and detail, and a need for control or power over one's environment that causes major suffering and stress, especially in areas of personal relationships. Persons with OCPD are usually inflexible and controlling. They may find it hard to relax, and must plan out their activities down to the minute.

Btw, thanks for your erroneous clarification, but your context is wrong.

Except, not. :p

In the future, I'll be sure to consult the DSM-V before making similar tongue-in-cheek remarks. :rolleyes:

FFS, as much as I enjoy these mods, this community is seriously plagued with "supposed" intellectual one-upmanship and complete social ineptitude. :confused:

Or take it in the spirit it was intended, as a continuation of the tongue-in-cheek banter.

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
You went that far, why not look up OCPD as well instead of falling into confirmation bias?
I did, but you're ignoring the fact that:
In contrast to people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), behaviors are rational and desirable to people with OCPD.
There's nothing rational about my compulsion to have walls, ceilings, and floors three blocks thick and I recognize this. The thing is, making them 3 thick alleviates an irrational anxiety that likely would not exist were it not for previous nether experiences.
Or take it in the spirit it was intended, as a continuation of the tongue-in-cheek banter.
Fair enough, but these things don't always translate well textually.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
So Greyed has OCPD, which means he must make sure he's right about all factors in the argument.
While Dasein has OCD, which means he must explain the same argument 15 times before he will be done.
:D

Reactions: Greyed

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
So Greyed has OCPD, which means he must make sure he's right about all factors in the argument.
While Dasein has OCD, which means he must explain the same argument 15 times before he will be done.
:D
4 times in a thread that I created ... It also helps if people actually read definitions while comprehending the importance of each word.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
4 times in a thread that I created ... It also helps if people actually read definitions while comprehending the importance of each word.

tumblr_mby6nsbIMa1qc4npz.jpg

Reactions: fergcraft

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Some all of these threads get so derailed...
Fixed.

Anyway- as far as floor/wall designs, try a camouflaged forcefield without a target block- 100% perfectly invisible and you can walk on it.
This sounds really fun.

Instead of camouflaging all of my pipes, tubes, wires, etc., I really want to make a base some day where the floors, walls, and ceiling are entirely composed of pipes, tubes, machines, etc. I want the internal workings of my base to form the actual structure of my base. That would be pretty cool.

...Can mobs see through a wall composed of pipes or tubes? Because that may end up being the biggest flaw in that plan.

EDIT: Whoops, missed a /quote tag.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This sounds really fun.

Instead of camouflaging all of my pipes, tubes, wires, etc., I really want to make a base some day where the floors, walls, and ceiling are entirely composed of pipes, tubes, machines, etc. I want the internal workings of my base to form the actual structure of my base. That would be pretty cool.

...Can mobs see through a wall composed of pipes or tubes? Because that may end up being the biggest flaw in that plan.

EDIT: Whoops, missed a /quote tag.

Never really tested if mobs can see through, but part blocks (like tubes/pipes/microblocks) cause odd behaviour with non-player entities (try dropping items on a tube/liquiduct or watch a golem walk over a cover).
Likewise as non full blocks, you may have some issues jumping up onto solid blocks, or jumping into the bounding box of a part block (you get rubberbanded a lot on a server).
Any gaps in the boundary boxes will allow skeleton arrows ect to pass through, and put you in creeper activation range.

Never tested a full floor before, if you can design a practical one then go for it.
Let me know how it goes.

Generally having everything open looks really cool, and it makes tinkering a lot easier.
(liquiducts emit the light level of the fluid in them- lava strip lamps ahoy!!)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Never really tested if mobs can see through, but part blocks (like tubes/pipes/microblocks) cause odd behaviour with non-player entities (try dropping items on a tube/liquiduct or watch a golem walk over a cover).
Likewise as non full blocks, you may have some issues jumping up onto solid blocks, or jumping into the bounding box of a part block (you get rubberbanded a lot on a server).
Any gaps in the boundary boxes will allow skeleton arrows ect to pass through, and put you in creeper activation range.

Never tested a full floor before, if you can design a practical one then go for it.
Let me know how it goes.

Generally having everything open looks really cool, and it makes tinkering a lot easier.
(liquiducts emit the light level of the fluid in them- lava strip lamps ahoy!!)
I'll probably use normal-ish walls, but just leave all of my piping and wiring exposed to make it look all industrial.

I make "infinitely thick" walls so i can comfortably wire and pipe everything.
I do that too, oddly enough. I build a big mansion with an equally big basement, and the above-ground floors of the mansion remain more or less unoccupied and empty while I build everything in my basement, running wires and pipes and such under the floor or behind the walls.