Preferred dungeon mod?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've been using Chocolate Quest (Better Dungeons) for a while now, but it has always been plagued by horribad config files that cause game crashes, and I'm looking for something a bit better.

I've seen Roguelike Dungeons floating around a while now, although I've also been warned off of it due to lagspikes caused when it generates. How good is it really, and how bad a lag spike are we talking about here?

Are there any other dungeon type mods that are out there? Looking for something with open permissions for a public pack, replacing the constantly buggy ChocolateQuest with something a bit more... stable.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I've used Roguelike on the Unabridged pack with no real issues and I have a dated system.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've used Roguelike on the Unabridged pack with no real issues and I have a dated system.
Looking over the config fields, I find it relatively easy to add in things like the AE2 presses and Pam's Harvestcraft gardens to the loot tables, which makes it nearly ideal for my purposes. Thanks!

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Must admit I went off ChocQuest once it updated to 1.7.10. It kinda lost it's charm/appeal that it had in 1.6.x.

I too now only use RougeLike and Ruins mod just for extra decoration. I'm not aware of any other dungeon generating mods at this present time.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have any plans, a few months from now obviously, to roll a public 1.8.9 pack?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Do you have any plans, a few months from now obviously, to roll a public 1.8.9 pack?
Not at this time. Too many mods that aren't updating to 1.8, and most of the ones that are have been found to still be in a very alpha-ish version (except TC5 because damn that man is a wizard). This may change depending on what mods skip 1.8 and which ones don't.

I haven't seen any indications of AE2 being moved to 1.8, and haven't heard any rumors of AE3. Since it is currently being maintained by someone other than the original author, I haven't gotten my hopes up in that regard. However, a combination of Storage Drawers and EnderIO's replacement terminal might be sufficient. I also haven't heard about CoFH going to 1.8 any time soon, which is what I use for oregen tweaking. Pam's Harvestcraft and Agricraft also have not indicated any plans on converting to 1.8 either. Odds are favorable, however, that even if a 1.8 version doesn't come out, a 1.9 version likely will.

I am planning a major revision for my 1.7.10 version, though. I'll be dropping Chocoquest in favor of Roguelike and possibly Ruins as well, and I'll also be adding in some transportation type mods. In particular, I'll be adding in some kind of boat mod because vanilla boats are icky and have cooties. I've looked into Archimedes Ships, the Ships mod, and the Small Boats mod so far, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm also looking into the possibility of Enhanced Portals 3 since I categorically decline to include Mystcraft and want a way for a server to have remote locations interconnected.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
I've used RL in all my 1.7.10 packs and haven't really noticed anything. If there's spikes, they aren't anything like the debilitating Natura redwoods or Twilght Forest giant oaks. Nor as common.

The procedural dungeons themselves are well-made, but they'll start feeling samey after exploring a few of them.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
... In particular, I'll be adding in some kind of boat mod because vanilla boats are icky and have cooties. I've looked into Archimedes Ships, the Ships mod, and the Small Boats mod so far, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. ...

Have you seen the Better Boat mod? The boats don't ever break into planks and sticks, and you don't find yourself dislocated. I've successfully used it in the TerrafirmaPack and recently added it to the Infinity Evolved pack. Seems to work well. It can be a little 'jumpy' when travelling into new chunks, but it's way better than the vanilla boat.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Ships mod caused me to drop frames like crazy and the larger ships would just disappear from the dock I built. But that was 4-5 months ago and I haven't kept up with their change logs.

Small boats performs amazingly with no real system impact. Having indestructible boats for early game is nice.

IIRC you can add custom schematics to the Ruins mod. So if I'm not mixing that fact up with another worldgen structure mod, it should be a true asset.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, Ruins mod uses a TML file system, and includes an in game system to convert structures to the TML format.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
So does Resonant Complex.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2
I actually just started using Resonant Complex, and I'm enjoying it. Of course, I'm making all of the structures myself, so I haven't actually seen them in world yet, but it looks great for generating actual dungeons, mazes, and just structures.
Shneekey, I definitely recommend this over Ruins, at least for creating your own custom structures/dungeons. Maybe for the random loot system, and the generation, but I haven't actually used those features yet.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm not really looking to create custom buildings. I just want to be able to toss a few things into the loot tables and give the world a post-inhabited feel. As though you weren't the first one to have been here...

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not really looking to create custom buildings. I just want to be able to toss a few things into the loot tables and give the world a post-inhabited feel. As though you weren't the first one to have been here...
Your post says "dungeons" which are custom buildings (And you can totally do dungeons). You can also do mazes dungeons, by building maze segments, and have them randomly generate. Granted, it's more work then just throwing in a mod with prebuilt dungeons, but... I feel like Rougelike's dungeons are the same, so seeing one is seeing them all, and the other dungeon mods (Chocolate Mod, Ruins, etc) just don't fit well.
It's also got loot generators, which gives you way more control then "this list spawns in dungeon chests, this in strongholds, this in villages, etc".
It's personal preference/more work, I know, but I think it's more fun long term. Just my suggestion.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I generated a lot of Roguelikes in Monster, and didn't notice any significant lag even with my older system. Even if it does, generation lag is mostly a one-time occurrence unless something regens the chunks.

My choice for a boat mod is absolutely Archimedes ships. It adds only a couple of blocks, and even then the one you use most often is the helm. And 1.7.10 versions no longer have the weird water issues 1.6.4's did. (Randomly destroying water source blocks and requiring some trickery to get them back.) The fact that you can customize storage, and even bring along most tile entities makes them absolutely amazing. They even behave correctly with TiCon slab Furnaces, or the crafting stations.

Matter Overdrive has Transporters, that are two-way, though they only go 8000 blocks. Still, as long as no one is more than that far from the primary hub... Plus it has Phaser Rifles, which make exploring dungeons infinitely more fun.