Pre generate world

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shwat

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how I can pre generate say 1000x1000 chunks for my server? I was thinking of doing it with MCEdit, but I dont think that generates all the FTB mod ores does it?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
You can use Chunk Loader Turtles, but that will take a while for them to travel as far as they need to and come back. You will be wanting to get rid of them before putting the server up if what you're using them for is pre-generating.

Temporarily set the config file where they don't need fuel.

Shwat

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think they are available in the Mindcrack pack yet are they? I was hoping someone knew of a tool like MCEdit that could do this with mod blocks.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
Works pretty well, actually. I rather like this one. Now I just need to test if this works on mystcraft ages. ;)

1t2a7r.jpg

Edit: 1000x1000 is rather small, tbh. My map has most of extreme biomes turned off (except redrock and wastelands. Redrock being the grey biome), but look at what's there (this is a 1000x1000).

Red Rock, taiga, desert, forest, swamp, wasteland, and maybe a jungle (I haven't actually looked over there yet). If you have all of extreme biomes...you're going to need to generate quite a bit of land to get most of them on the map without having to pre-generate. Unless you don't care and will use mystcraft for the biomes you can't find within 1000 blocks of spawn.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, as long as you have your FTB server set up correctly. Just need to edit the server path in the MinecraftLandGenerator.conf so it goes to your worlds server. Make sure the name of your world is "world" and you should be fine. Also make sure that the "Run_MLG_Windows.cmd" adds the amount of land you want generated as well as -w and -a. The -w and -a make sure to ignore all the forge warnings.

Example:
Code:
java -jar MinecraftLandGenerator.jar 1000 1000 -w -a

It's a bit of a pain for single player, simply because it requires a server. But since most mods are universal, all you really need to do is add forge to the server jar and you're golden. Or use one of the server packs given by FTB. My world is a single player. :)

Also, you'll need to make sure your server jar is named "minecraft_server". So if you're using the FTB server pack, just rename it.

It took roughly 13 minutes to do a 1000x1000 for me. I have a laptop though, only 2GB ram. It really sucks...so it should go faster for everyone else. What makes it take so long is just the server start up, since it goes through all those warnings and notices and such.

Basically all this does is:

1. Start server
2. Generate Spawn
3. Save map
4. Stop server
5. Change spawn location
6. Repeat 1-5

Until everything is generated. Only, you know, automatically.

Shwat

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome, this will take a while for my server haha, its an oldie, dual core, but has 6Gb ram, that might help.

Yeah I think 1000x1000 will be too small :p I forget chunk sizes aren't that big.

Cheers for the help.

Shwat

Jul 29, 2019
Did your one keep updating the cmd prompt? cause mine has done the normal loading text, then unloaded everything, then nothing else...

Shwat

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I didn't have any of those, as I forgot to run the initial setup cmd. It's working fine now :p

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
The two numbers are how far the x and z coords you want to be pre-generated. I don't think I ever said it was chunks, just blocks. Sorry if you got that impression.

16000x16000 would end up quite a bit of memory. A 3GB or so world, I think.

SnowsongWolf

Jul 29, 2019
So just a bit of an update. This still works provided you change the command correctly to load the ftb or whatever mod server. The downside is it takes bloody forever. I'm generating a 10,000 x 10,000 area for my Crack Pack server right now (technically ATL I know) and after running about an hour it's at 3% completed. That's on a ProLiant server with dual Xeon processors and 48 gigs of ram.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Should have went with ProfMobious' ACT ;)
Can this work with pregen the SSP world? Since using minecraft land generator on SSP seems didn't work at all. I can't have both server and client running simultaneously. But I would like to pregen my world

Shwat

Jul 29, 2019
If you are running cauldron you can also use the world border plugin to pre generate world.