Power Comparison Spreadsheet

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I was rather bored tonight and decided to make a spreadsheet. It includes most mods in FTB, and mod compatibility.
Click HERE to see the spreadsheet. If I missed anything, please let me know and I will fix it ASAP.

Mods included:
IndustrialCraft 2
Buildcraft
Redpower 2
Gregtech
Forestry
Advanced Solars
Compact Solars
Railcraft
Thermal Expansion
MFR
Mekanism

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 Geothermal Generator 20EU/t - 32EU/bucket

i assume you meant 32k eu/bucket. there are also similar mistakes.

combustion engine lacks numbers for biofuel.

Gt diesel generator lacks numbers for biodiesel, and mention that Forestry`s biodfuel = GT biodiesel.

GT steam turbines(or whatever they called), dratcraft`s force engine and forestry`s biogenerator are missing.

i`t be nice to have number for RC steam engines steam consumption rate.

Reactions: Riuga

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
TE Steam Engines got buffed to 4 MJ/t

Because a man's patience goes only so far.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
A better spreadsheet for newbies would be energy generation strategies.

i.e. List the tech path required to generate EU using thermal generators/geothermals. Either show them the magma crucible route, nether route, lava fab route, etc. For solars, list the technology/materials required to build the basic solar. Have separate strategies for building the advanced ones too. Biofarms, there are plenty of routes/strategies.

It'll be a bit more work, but a lot more comprehensive and helpful, me-thinks.

Why don't you organize and compile a list of strategies written by forum members? Break it down completely using flowcharts. (a) When the noobs find something they don't understand, they can immediately ask or look it up themselves. That'll only further develop their "finding-FTB-solution" skills. (b) It'll make obvious to players what sucks and what is good. (c) I think that it would be a good project for this forum to be involved in, seeing as how we have a wide variety of technical players who can give comprehensive data.

I dunno, I'm thinking of the community at this point, but it's something I'm even willing to throw a bit of effort into.

Reactions: Riuga

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
A better spreadsheet for newbies would be energy generation strategies.

i.e. List the tech path required to generate EU using thermal generators/geothermals. Either show them the magma crucible route, nether route, lava fab route, etc. For solars, list the technology/materials required to build the basic solar. Have separate strategies for building the advanced ones too. Biofarms, there are plenty of routes/strategies.

It'll be a bit more work, but a lot more comprehensive and helpful, me-thinks.

Why don't you organize and compile a list of strategies written by forum members? Break it down completely using flowcharts. (a) When the noobs find something they don't understand, they can immediately ask or look it up themselves. That'll only further develop their "finding-FTB-solution" skills. (b) It'll make obvious to players what sucks and what is good. (c) I think that it would be a good project for this forum to be involved in, seeing as how we have a wide variety of technical players who can give comprehensive data.

I dunno, I'm thinking of the community at this point, but it's something I'm even willing to throw a bit of effort into.
while it`d be quite helpful, it`d also make things a bit too easy. imo such chart of generators and info about their provides enough info, but not too much to make things way to easy.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, well imo providing flowchart solutions doesn't provide the answers to their situations. It only serves to provide noobies with a wide variety of strategies to choose from, deciding what is right is up to their intuition/research.

i.e. All their situations will be different, including their skill level/time commitment. Tell them tree->biomass->biofuel->combustionengine->magmacrucible->thermalgenerator only provides a skeleton of an answer. The organs would be things like 24 EU/t for 30 000 EU, or 24 000 MJ for 1000 mB lava using cobble.

The skeleton would be something this specific community can build, where as the organs are findable on the wiki (I realize this is also community built). Though that may be the intent of this specific spreadsheet.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
i assume you meant 32k eu/bucket. there are also similar mistakes.

combustion engine lacks numbers for biofuel.

Gt diesel generator lacks numbers for biodiesel, and mention that Forestry`s biodfuel = GT biodiesel.

GT steam turbines(or whatever they called), dratcraft`s force engine and forestry`s biogenerator are missing.

i`t be nice to have number for RC steam engines steam consumption rate.

Ah yes, the 32KEU! Sorry, also, about the RC Steam engines, I couldn't find anything about that. Though, I didn't look that hard. I've had enough spreadsheets for a short while. It'll probably be fixed in a couple hours.
Namiasdf, the point of this was not strategies, it was to be able to look at one page to see what is the most efficient power source. People can figure out their own strategies.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the dartcraft engines, it's worth adding in the throttles, too (as far as I've found, water = 2x, milk = 2.5x, chrushed ice = 4x).

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Throttles? I've added DartCraft Force Engines, as well as a few others.

With the force engines, the output is determined by both of the liquids. The fuel is the base power, but can be increased by adding a second. As I said, as far as I know only water, milk and crushed ice work for the moment, but it's the reason that the output values look wonky (i.e. why bother getting 3MJ/tick from fuel, when you can put it into a combustion engine for double).

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to also split the categories again into TYPE of power produced, be it EU, MJ, or Charge.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to also split the categories again into TYPE of power produced, be it EU, MJ, or Charge.

I tried that, though it was like 5am when I made this, so... I'll work more on it tonight.
MFR Biofuel Generators produce 16 MJ/t, consuming Biofuel.
Hmmm... I didn't know MFR made energy, I thought it consumed it.
With the force engines, the output is determined by both of the liquids. The fuel is the base power, but can be increased by adding a second. As I said, as far as I know only water, milk and crushed ice work for the moment, but it's the reason that the output values look wonky (i.e. why bother getting 3MJ/tick from fuel, when you can put it into a combustion engine for double).
I'll look more into that tonight.

Reactions: BlackFire

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I've finally decided to learn about Mekanism and added the generators to the spreadsheet. I'll get around to adding more UE mods to the spreadsheet at some point.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like the right place to ask these two questions.

Which generates power more efficiently off of biofuel, a mfr bio gen or hp boiler with industrial steam engines?

And the second, which creates biofuel more effectively per sapling/components, MFR or Forestry?