Port is closed even after port forwarded and server doesnt work

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

leosky

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to set up a server for me and a friend to use but it just doesnt work.
I have a netgear router and correctly port forwarded, still, if i go to yougetsignal.com it says the port 25565 is closed, even with the server running.
I even re-installed the server, downloaded it, serverstart.bat (at the end of the process the black window tells me topress a key and just closes, the server doesnt open), open ftbserver.jar (it lags a lot) but nothing.

Saw the latest/most viewed tutorial on youtube and these were the differences between him and me:
1) when the batch file was done loading stuff I tried to check if the localhost was online like he did: "can't connect to server", then tells me "press a key to continue" and closes when I do.
2) The ServerStart bat code (seen with right click-Edit) is different
3) No banned players and ips, no denpipes/forgemodloader/logisticpipes files, no ops, no serverlogs, NO SERVER PROPERTIES, no white list files
4) there's no World folder in the directory (I have a "asm" and a "blueprint" though)
5) I reopened the serverstart batch file a 2nd time but still cant connect to the server.

If instead I try to open the jar file it starts but it lags like CRAZY, like I cant even scroll down in the list of stuff he loaded, and I still cant connect to my localhost.
God damn I'm studying comp science and cant figure out this stuff, they did a sh*t job with the servers setup.
Please someone help me, I just want to play minecraft with a friend.

polkziggy

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is your server won't start properly. There's a number of reasons that could be causing this. The first thing would be what mafasu mentioned. Check the EULA and make sure it's set to "true". If that doesn't work, then check for crash logs.

As for the port being closed, it won't show as open until your server is up and running(unless you have other software using that port on your pc).