Poor FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClutchHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting a consistent 55-65 FPS with everything on max. Compared to some friends with similar system specs this is quite low, so any idea how I can improve FPS? Although 60FPS is quite nice I'd like to see some improvement so I can use some of Optifine's higher end features (e.g. render distance beyond far, anti-aliasing et cetera). Cheers.

System: 7950, i7-3770k, 16GB DDR3-1600 memory, M4 SSD. Windows 7 64-bit. Java 7 update 10 64-bit.

Rodfort

Jul 29, 2019
Got a similar problem with only getting around 30 fps in my base and around 50 in a new world. My system should be more than capable to handle much more than that.
Optifine doesn't help all that much, only giving a 5-10 fps boost. I've also noticed my gpu load is ony at 20% (first gpu) and 0% (second) while my cpu is around 50%.

System specs : intel i5-2500K, AMD Radeon 6950 x2 , 8Gb of memory , Samsung 840 SSD, Windows 7 64-bit and Java 7 (latest update) 64 bit.
Any help on how to improve fps would be much appreciated.

ClutchHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, we're both using AMD cards so a guide involving the NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't really help. I can't see any similarly helpful options in the Catalyst Control Center for what it's worth.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
The concept is the same isn't it? Ensuring that the correct driver is doing the job, versus ya know, otherwise.

ClutchHunter

Jul 29, 2019
As I said there isn't an option like that in CCC. There are application profiles but that only affects the card when it's already being used.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
My apologies, I thought you could reset the priority driver using the device manager as well.
My husband tells me that Java will only run through the CPU, but I really don't understand that aspect of things.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
You get 55-60 fps, and you're saying that's poor? Most people would kill to have 60 fps! Heck, most movies run at 24 fps (although they do use motion blurring). Also, considering that most monitors are capped at 60 fps (they physically can't dispaly more than 60 frames per second), improving your fps wouldn't actually make any difference.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Mighr

Jul 29, 2019
You should be looking for something called "switchable graphics" (I think thats how AMD calls it).
Just to be sure, you are both using notebooks, not Desktop PCs?

Edit: And you are not limiting your Framerate in the MC Video Settings?

ClutchHunter

Jul 29, 2019
@GreenWolf13 I want to improve FPS so that I can increase my options up until I drop back down to 60FPS again if that makes sense. I'm perfectly aware of how FPS & monitor refresh rates et cetera work.

@Mighr Nope, I'm on a desktop PC. I get better FPS in Far Cry 3 & Battlefield 3. I'm quite sure my low GPU Load is the problem here, it never tops 20%. Also I'm using GPU-Z to monitor that and Minecraft definitely isn't using integrated graphics.

Mighr

Jul 29, 2019
In Case you didn't see my edit:

The performace in your Minecraft Video Settings is not set to VSync? Because I think, thats the default.

ClutchHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I do have it capped to 60FPS a lot so it remains consistent but the FPS never goes beyond 65 if I put it to Max FPS. This is definitely down to my low GPU usage.

Rodfort

Jul 29, 2019
Don't have fps capped (in optifine @ maxFPS) and not on a notebook (notebook with dual gpu lolz) .
I think I have turned the integrated graphics of in my BIOS but I'm not entirely sure cause it didn't gave me a performance boost.

Also when I try to make another 3D application profile in CCC for java.exe it tells me I already have one for it.
Going to try to make profiles for every java exe now...

EDIT : Didn't seem to work :(
Altough I noticed in gpu-z everytime I played gpu load went from 0% to 20% so FTB is actually using the right gpu altough not to it's full capacity it seems.

EDIT2 : Fiddled a bot more with the application profile settings and now I'm getting almost 100 fps in the nether while only getting 30 in my base. (still no change in gpu load though)

Rodfort

Jul 29, 2019
Also : in vanilla minecraft (new world, no mods, no optifine) I'm getting around 70 fps while I think my system could at least handle double that amount.

ClutchHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It should be using more than 25% of the GPU's power though. This is a frustrating limitation that doesn't affect others with similar specs to there must be a software reason for this.

Alcarkse

Jul 29, 2019
I have the same problem but I get 15 fps max in my "base" while no machines are operating; and when I set my Minecraft parameters to the most performance friendly possible way.
I use an Intel HD Graphics graphic card and I allocate 3.25 GB of memory to FTB.

Reactions: ApSciLiara
Status
Not open for further replies.