Pointers for Starters Thread:

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I think putting well constructed posts that serve to educate the amateur player, in a common thread would be awesome. I don't know how we would regulate it, but we'll go with a free form state and see where it goes from there.[DOUBLEPOST=1385701296][/DOUBLEPOST](Tips for building things)

There are many considerations:

[1] Space: Space is the #1 most important key. Even if you're working in the outdoors (i.e. have unlimited space) your design will still take up space and the design should account for that. If your factory is too large, it might become to tedious to find errors/tweek your system. In my case, where I have limited room, space becomes an even bigger problem. It is more of an issue of trying to design a system that its space meets its purpose. If your system is needed to attach to other system, you may want to locate it in a central location such that it is easily accessible. Space includes (1) the efficiency in which it takes up space as per design (design it in a way that it isn't wasteful of space) and (2) is externally and internally accessible, such that you can access the innards should you need to make small changes and to allow for easy integration to outside systems.

Compact Design:
fJD8Rlx.jpg

Underground Base:
dB49hTX.jpg

[2] Cost: This should be obvious, but optimizing a design such that it would give the "best bang for buck" is more involved than you might think. Depending on how you acquire resources the value of a given resource may vary. Including the time-varied acquisition of the resource as per your strategy (quarry, turtles, etc.). Examples of such considerations would include whether you wish to integrate your AE system into the system you are considering. AE materials aren't excessively valuable, but require time to accumulate. Projects that utilize a high volume of iridium should be optimized such that they utilize the blocks using these resources to its maximum. This also means designing the system such that you can achieve such optimization through testing/tweeking. Synonym: Non-Wasteful.

Very Efficient Utilization of Lasers:
IGwFW39.png

[3] Integration: A very important aspect of a system is whether it can be successfully integrated into your base. This goes back to accessibility as well. If it is located in a poor location, getting resources to that system might be cumbersome/expensive. Having items floating in transport pipes should be minimized for any case, as to keep the load on your computer as low as possible. If your system doesn't really provide much to enhance other parts of your base, its existence would need to be justified that much more. Usually I build my systems to synergize with one another. Synonym: Versatile/Purposeful.

[4] Scaling: A system should be able to grow as your needs grow. Whether it be increasing your energy production or your item processing, your systems should be designed in such a way that it can be expanded. This means leaving extra space or incorporating the ability to change your system such that it is more efficient. The best way to achieve this is to modulate your system. Every time you wish to expand your system you build another module. You know exactly the resources required to build each module and exactly its output. This is extremely useful in the process of design. Synonym: Upgradable.

Version 1.0 Lava Gen Module: (40 Combustion Engine -> 4 Magma Crucible)
nwgFvkI.jpg

(These are side-by-side modules of the first picture, two layers)

Version 2.0 Lava Gen Module: (4 - 36HP Boiler -> 72 Industrial Steam Engines -> 20 Magma Crucible)

8boiler
J4TTjT3.jpg

12boiler
9kHyEli.png

sideview
O2574NP.png

crucible1
9QjByU6.png

crucible2
HyD2FoW.jpg

thermalgenerators
SND4GWH.jpg

These are a few of the things I might consider when building a system. Main key points are its accessibility, upgrade-ability and its cost. Space is more of an issue for me because my base is inside of a mountain.

Reactions: kaiomann

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
When you're actually first jumping in and aren't quite sure how everything even works, it helps a lot to read up on what each mod does, and set small goals for yourself. "I'm going to learn how to build and operate a quarry" or "I'm going to learn how to automate my farms with golems" or "I'm going to figure out how to use a multi-farm" are easily achievable, have visible results and impact on your playing, and are generally better than ambiguous goals like "in going to figure out how to make an awesome base" or "I'm going to learn how all the machines work." Start small, set goals, and most of all, have fun playing the way *you* want to play.

Reactions: rhn

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
Good tips, I would like to add that it is always a good idea to produce A) more power than you really need. B) check your math on what your needs may be.There is nothing worse then turning your brand new system on and realizing you are 15% short of your power needs due to an error in math. It is also a good idea to rig critical systems to a separate power supply in case something happens to your main one.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Good tips, I would like to add that it is always a good idea to produce A) more power than you really need. B) check your math on what your needs may be.There is nothing worse then turning your brand new system on and realizing you are 15% short of your power needs due to an error in math. It is also a good idea to rig critical systems to a separate power supply in case something happens to your main one.

In addition to this, make sure you account for the transfer loss of energy. I am not sure if this is relevant in later versions, but in 1.4.7, the energy transfer loss is quite large. 5% by redstone energy circuits and 1 EU per 40 blocks on fibre class cable.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Good pointers, but honestly if you are just starting those setups are going to be incredibly overwhelming. They are late game and very advanced. Most starters just build 1-2 types of each machine they need and do everything manually... then slowly branch out from there. I wouldn't really worry about efficiency and designs until you've mastered the basics of every mod.

The best starter advice is very simple IMO:
- Watch a couple mod spotlights based on a single mod, then master that mod in the game. Do not attempt to learn two mods at once.
- Repeat until you've learned all the mods in the pack.
- Take what you've learned and start making large/efficient/automated designs.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Good pointers, but honestly if you are just starting those setups are going to be incredibly overwhelming. They are late game and very advanced. Most starters just build 1-2 types of each machine they need and do everything manually... then slowly branch out from there. I wouldn't really worry about efficiency and designs until you've mastered the basics of every mod.

The best starter advice is very simple IMO:
- Watch a couple mod spotlights based on a single mod, then master that mod in the game. Do not attempt to learn two mods at once.
- Repeat until you've learned all the mods in the pack.
- Take what you've learned and start making large/efficient/automated designs.
Yeah I have to agree, those pictures are more overwhelming than they are informative to people who are just starting. And it almost appears like you just lifted it all from that other thread about how you plan buildings. Comes off more as a "show off of my oversized build", and there's a whole section of the forum for that.

Less than 10 posts further down is already a thread where we were debating what was the best approach for a new player:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/new-player-needs-guidance.34759/
If you really want to make a thread for new players, I would suggest focusing more on the points brought out in that thread. If you feel you need pictures to illuminate something, make then focus on simpler and easier to grasp things.
Also this might be more of a personal preference, but for informative purposes I don't find the Sphax texture pack very good. It makes everything look quite different than default and other texture packs. If you want to inform new people, they have to be able to recognise the elements shown on the pictures.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Comes off more as a "show off of my oversized build".

;D

But in all seriousness, it shows new players the extent to which they can design things. They can look up any Let's Play series, or even your guy's builds to see the simpler side of FTB. Mine are to show how one might push the limits of FTB.

I think both versions are good, the simple/common and the advanced/namiasdf.[DOUBLEPOST=1385786060][/DOUBLEPOST]I guess I should've called it "post advanced builds", but I'd be the only one posting >_>. Wouldn't make for a very good thread.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
;D

But in all seriousness, it shows new players the extent to which they can design things. They can look up any Let's Play series, or even your guy's builds to see the simpler side of FTB. Mine are to show how one might push the limits of FTB.

I think both versions are good, the simple/common and the advanced/namiasdf.[DOUBLEPOST=1385786060][/DOUBLEPOST]I guess I should've called it "post advanced builds", but I'd be the only one posting >_>. Wouldn't make for a very good thread.
Right. Getting a bit confused now. You being sarcastic or? Cause all I see is a lot of rather basic stuff. Sure its a confusing jumble of it, but repetition of a lot of pipes, redstone engines, engines doesn't really make it advanced. It all looks rather basic, not particularly compact and not really noticed any clever solutions anywhere. You using a limited modpack since you are sticking to transport pipes that much? Also what exactly is the purpose of generating all that lava? Just to power the geothermal generators? Isn't that awfully inefficient compared to just using the ethanol to fuel a boiler powering a couple of turbines?

Also, really confused as to the purpose of this thread now. You want to educate new player with stuff they will hardly understand?

Last edited:
Reactions: namiasdf

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that was a quick derailment. I vote for cancelling this thread and optionally starting again.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ya definitely. I'll start it with the same post. I think it's enlightening.
Consider posting it in the Community showcase section. I doubt it will get stickied here and if it doesn't it will just drown in other posts.
Also possible another title. If you intend on making a Starters guide, I suggest starting at the start with some more basic advice.

In adition, considder another embedding method for the pictures/format for the text. The message kinda drowns a bit with all the large images.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have the time/energy to do a tour of my entire base. It would be approx 10x as long as this.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I'd have to agree with everyone else about this not really being a '"starter's" guide. Maybe rename the thread to something like "A Guide to Mass Production" or something like that. Also, I would recommend not using a texture pack when taking screenshots, because it can actually be quite difficult figuring out what some things are (especially with complex builds). Otherwise though, its a good guide for what it is trying to show.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I take the example that I got from my experience with Youtubers. I use their builds to gain inspiration as to what I wanted to do. If you want to post tutorials, feel free to.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The text in the OP is slightly helpful and has some good ideas but those pics are a waste of space and you have appeared to have ignored your own advice, change thread title to 'How NOT To Build In Minecraft'... It's just a collection of random blocks and pipes thrown together

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, texture pack is maybe a little distracting, too. A veteran will recognize conduits and BCpipes with gates and such, but a new player might not.