PneumaticCraft Drone Programming

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Anyone played much with PneumaticCraft drones?

I'm trying to find sample drone programs I can learn from. I'm particularly interested in teaching them to quarry an area in a useful fashion (getting them to mine is easy, but getting them to return damaged/chargeless tools is proving trickier)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I know Direwolf20 wrote a program to let him remotely control one via computercraft, and change it's settings that way. But I don't think he's capable of simple. The best option I can think of is just using the area tools, and setting in the co-ordinates manually. But then you've got to know them and reprogram the drone every time.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I know GenerikB covered drone programming in his Crash Landing series near the end...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I know Direwolf20 wrote a program to let him remotely control one via computercraft, and change it's settings that way. But I don't think he's capable of simple. The best option I can think of is just using the area tools, and setting in the co-ordinates manually. But then you've got to know them and reprogram the drone every time.
Yeah I don't think there's much of a way around that. The puzzle pieces have gotten pretty clever, there's probably ways involving variables (getting the drones to pick up coordinates somehow).

Sadly there's no real samples out there of programs people have written it seems. And its such a cool mechanic too :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
When I look at how you program those things I can't help but think: He played with either the RCX or the NXT.
Maybe seeing programs for those things will help you?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
ok this is starting to sound way too much like effort to me :p
Did you never play with the rcx or nxt? Those things are awesome! If only I would get that compass sensor to behave with lejos(I think that it is called that)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Yes I do mean those things.

Also the cybermaster was pretty awesome but not really programmable still an awesome thing though and the user interface is just awesome.

edit how much awesome can you put in just 1 awesome post :p

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yes I do mean those things.

Also the cybermaster was pretty awesome but not really programmable still an awesome thing though and the user interface is just awesome.

edit how much awesome can you put in just 1 awesome post :p
The the more you put in, the more awesome it gets :p

Getting the drones to carve out an area wasn't hard at all, it was more the additional stuff around that.

For instance, as far as I can tell, the drones won't execute any other puzzle pieces until that area is carved out. Since the whole point of my plan here is to carve out a giant area, its not really ideal to carve it up into smaller pieces (I suppose I could write a program that divides an area into 4 pieces or something, but that means 4 sets of coordinates)

So I can't make them, say, return their drills for charging when they get low on juice. Instead they just mine incredibly ineffectively until the dig process is done.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The the more you put in, the more awesome it gets :p

Getting the drones to carve out an area wasn't hard at all, it was more the additional stuff around that.

For instance, as far as I can tell, the drones won't execute any other puzzle pieces until that area is carved out. Since the whole point of my plan here is to carve out a giant area, its not really ideal to carve it up into smaller pieces (I suppose I could write a program that divides an area into 4 pieces or something, but that means 4 sets of coordinates)

So I can't make them, say, return their drills for charging when they get low on juice. Instead they just mine incredibly ineffectively until the dig process is done.

I have not used them but that sound indeed like a problem that is kind of unavoidable. Maybe if you could use co-routines(or whatever it is called) it would be solved

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have not used them but that sound indeed like a problem that is kind of unavoidable. Maybe if you could use co-routines(or whatever it is called) it would be solved
I was thinking the same, basically a constant loop that checks the drill's fuel level and sends it off for recharging or injects a variable into the primary routine. Shrug, hence my wondering about sample programs :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I was thinking the same, basically a constant loop that checks the drill's fuel level and sends it off for recharging or injects a variable into the primary routine. Shrug, hence my wondering about sample programs :)

I would suggest that you suggest it to the mod maker as it sounds like it will increase their usefulness and awesomeness if they can, even if it would work the same way it works with an rcx.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not going to bother suggesting things until I have a clearer idea of what I can already do/not do. If I can find a PC community, I'll bug them with questions instead :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You could, if you were so inclined, calculate how many blocks the drill in question mines before becoming empty. Then use computer craft to force it to come back after that many blocks.

Is the area square? If so, then yet another alternative would be to program a drone to dig out the bars and place down land marks to use a filler in the area.

Can you get Etheric picks? Can drones use them?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You could, if you were so inclined, calculate how many blocks the drill in question mines before becoming empty. Then use computer craft to force it to come back after that many blocks.

Is the area square? If so, then yet another alternative would be to program a drone to dig out the bars and place down land marks to use a filler in the area.

Can you get Etheric picks? Can drones use them?
I'm not really familiar with CC in any way other than a tiny bit of turtle scripting. I certainly wouldn't know how to do this. Can CC force-recall drones somehow?

The area is technically "box", but yeah.

Not sure what Etheric picks are, but they seem to be able to use any picks or drills I give them. I briefly floated the idea of giving them an RF-powered pick and then keeping one of them remote-charging RF blocks nearby, but while I do have the charging blocks, I don't seem to have any RFpowered picks.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It basically tells it to go to a point, instead of continuing with what it was doing.

Etheric Picks are from Extra-Utilities, crafted out of three unstable ingots and either sticks or obsidian, depending on the version of the mod. They're reasonably fast, and unbreakable.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It basically tells it to go to a point, instead of continuing with what it was doing.

Etheric Picks are from Extra-Utilities, crafted out of three unstable ingots and either sticks or obsidian, depending on the version of the mod. They're reasonably fast, and unbreakable.
oh, lol, you're talking about the destruction pickaxe which absolutely shreds stone, but not so awesome at ores :) I think ores may even consume damage on it.

In my case I'll be mining out GT ore veins, which as you may know are very ore-dense (>60% in any event)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Not sure how much this helps, but Redstone Arsenal adds an RF-powered pickaxe. I don't know if EnderIO's wireless charger can power them while they're being used by a drone, however.

Also, you can put an energy cell or flux capacitor on a Tinker's Construct tool to make it RF-powered, but if you're running GregTech, you may not have access to that.

The simplest way to handle mining and picking up items using drones is probably to use two of them- one to mine, and the other to clean up. Doesn't help you with swapping out discharged picks/drills, however.