Piping question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kuupie

Jul 29, 2019
Hello forum members

My question is related to piping in the situation where I want same pipe to carry items to my base from multiple sources (quarries). Problem is that when I connect my second quarry to the pipeline, the first quarry will start sending items both ways. I would require SERIOUS amount of diamond tubes to sort EVERY possible item the quarry can mine. Is there anyway to go around this? I would like just everything continue down the pipe, towards my base. Near the base I have void pipe connected to diamond pipe that sorts out unwanted items.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lothendas27

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried using iron transport pipes? They are one way only pipes.

Also, since they are one way, in theory you could connect five inputs to them and have them all travel to your base unhindered.

Reactions: dc0110

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried using iron transport pipes? They are one way only pipes.

Also, since they are one way, in theory you could connect five inputs to them and have them all travel to your base unhindered.

This man has your plan.

The other option is to use RP Tubes to manage your transportion of items. But that requires a but more work to set up but is also a bit more selfware about transporting things.

Kuupie

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Lothendas27, that certainly helped. What still puzzles me is how does the game decide which way the iron pipes function?

edit: http://imgur.com/tVaP6 - This is how I solved the problem, as I said tho, I don't get how the game "knew" which way the iron pipe should function?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Lothendas27, that certainly helped. What still puzzles me is how does the game decide which way the iron pipes function?
If you look you will have Soild ends where the pipe connects and one NonSoild end. Use the wrench to rotate the NonSoild end is the output and the Soild ones are all the inputs.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
as a side you dont need that many pipes. Just one at where your pipes meet will be enough to direct the flow.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
As for the RP2 option, perhaps a bit more explanation:

Pneumatic tubes are ridiculously intelligent - they always route items to the nearest valid destination (where a restriction pipe counts as 5000 meters) and never 'overflow'.
Factorization barrels can only handle one item type. While this is usually an annoyance, well...
You do the math.

This is very helpful if you want more fine-grained sorting.

Of course it sounds like you fixed the many-one problem already, so this is just extra advice.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As for the RP2 option, perhaps a bit more explanation:

Pneumatic tubes are ridiculously intelligent - they always route items to the nearest valid destination (where a restriction pipe counts as 5000 meters) and never 'overflow'.
Factorization barrels can only handle one item type. While this is usually an annoyance, well...
You do the math.

This is very helpful if you want more fine-grained sorting.

Of course it sounds like you fixed the many-one problem already, so this is just extra advice.

Im a huge fan of the RP sorting. It is what I am using myself. And yeah barrels are great but only really for bulk items like cobble. I have my sorting system set up so that bluk get sorted over to the line of barrels. As said this is nice since you dont have to tell it how to sort this stuff. I just have my last sorter send any not in its list to white. White is 10 barrels and then a chest and finaly a rection tube that is linked up to a BC void pipe collector thingy I made.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
IMO the only thing RP2 is missing to easily manage quarries and the like is a way to void stuff in a BC manner.

I think you should be able to combine a tube with an enderpearl to instantly teleport unwanted items to the void.

or a machine that just voids stuff.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
That generates unneeded lag (thats why the void pipe was introduced).

That also does not work as well on frame machines.

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
I have just started using RP to transport items and it is so much easier WHEN you get the hang of it. I found this vid and it has helped a lot, was looking for a way to automate my farms but the way he used RP to move all the items was a bigger impact on me. The first one doesn't show a lot of piping but episode 2 and 3 do... here is the link..Mind you this is all done without a sorting machine so it can get more detailed.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed that placing a RP machine that can eject items (Filter, Relay...) directly facing a block of lava doesn't result in any burning item sounds. I don't know if this is a glitch or if it actually detects it and silently discards the item.