Problem Personal server - other players "can't reach"

FactoryKat

Jul 29, 2019
Hey folks!

This is my first time to these forums, but you can rest assured I did look over everything before making this post. It's also my first time attempting to run a server, however I've found multiple guides that have been very helpful and the process hasn't been terribly difficult until now.

My issue is - I have done everything I believe there is to do in order to create and run a FTB server. I have reached the point where the server is up and running and both myself and others on the same home network as me can connect and play with no issue. However, those outside of my network, such as friends, are not able to connect at all and are greeted by the lovely "Can't reach server" message.

Yes, I am hosting on the same machine as I wish to play, but it's a brand new machine and seems to run rather well from what I've seen so far. Plus it's a small personal server just for a few friends, nothing fancy.

It's an ASUS desktop:
AMD FX-810 3.10GHz (64-bit eight-core processor)
8GB RAM
2 TB HDD
Running Windows 7 Home Premium
64-bit Java installed

I've done all that port forwarding and firewall business and can provide screencaps of my router settings, etc. if you ask.

I am not using the default port (25565), but I will note that it seems no whatever port I choose, and cross check with any site (or software), seems to be closed or unreachable and will always say "Timed Out". I have checked this while the server was running.

I provided my friend who had been helping me set up with the external IP and, as mentioned, he is unable to reach the server. I'm pretty followed every step carefully, but get no dice with friends being able to connect to the server. Let me know what else I might need to post and if anyone would be so kind as to point out what I might be doing wrong here. That would be pretty great.

:) Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should mention I am trying to create a Yogcraft server. Don't know if it helps.

FactoryKat

Jul 29, 2019
No, definitely not.

It's a regular home network. The others I mentioned, consist of myself, husband and in-laws. So I can connect fine, and as can my husband by using my internal IP. No problem there. However, when I provide the external IP to a friend for him to try and play, he can't connect.

Lokarn

Jul 29, 2019
be sure that your friend has also port forwarded all the necessary ports to connect to your comp.

Also I suggest you use a dns service so that you only have to give him that to connect to your server. In addition your external ip is not the same as your internal. I only mention that incase you overlooked it.

EDIT I should also make sure to add for completion that the 192.168.1.1 IP is not your external IP you need for the server, you should go to a site like www.whatismyip.com to see what your IP is. that's the one you need to give out so he can connect.

I like No-IP for setting up a DNS prox. It's easy to use and there are youtube guides out there for it.

Good luck.

I should explain that all the dns does is hide your ip and allow him to connect to you by typing in a name into the ip area for example.. factorycat.noip.gameserver.com might be what you have as your "ip" for your server.

FactoryKat

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions Lokarn, I'll ask and find out if he was port forwarding appropriately on his end too.

I knew which IP to give out, as stated in my first post but thanks for the tip. :) I was definitely providing him with my external IP and not the internal as was shown in the screencap I took down.

The DNS set up sounds like it might work, I'll give it a try and see if it fixes our issue. Thanks for your help!

pherce

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using a site like canyouseeme.org and it's still showing closed, then something on your end is still blocking it like Windows Firewall. You could try a DNS as he suggested (but you'll likely get the same results), or giving a VPN like airvpn.org a try. They have a 1 euro trial for 3 days and it may be worth the piece of mind to give it a shot after hours of endless troubleshooting. Here is a guide specifically for Minecraft: https://airvpn.org/topic/9455-hosting-a-minecraft-server-with-airvpn/ I tried this service out last week and it worked for myself. Shoot me a PM if you have trouble with it.

A free alternative that you could also try, but I almost never recommend, is Himachi. Himachi requires that every user runs Himachi to connect to your network, but if this server is just for a few friends like you said then it may not be too much of a hassle for them. It beats not being able to play at all...