Permission less mods

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

chaoticdarkninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I wanted to know which mods do not require permission from their modmakers to use. The reason for this is because I want to make a private modpack for me and my friend, and I'm too lazy to ask the mod makers themselves. I also want to know if I even require permission to make a private modpack. Thanks.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I wanted to know which mods do not require permission from their modmakers to use. The reason for this is because I want to make a private modpack for me and my friend, and I'm too lazy to ask the mod makers themselves. I also want to know if I even require permission to make a private modpack. Thanks.
You do NOT need permission for private packs

Reactions: kaovalin and YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, Private Packs are Private, ergo you don't have to ask for permission. Now, the catch22 is that you have to ensure it's private, not like with FTB's "private packs" where the private bit is just that they aren't as public. You can distribute it, but in a very controlled manner only. Such as for a whitelisted MC server only you can grant permission to join, as a bit of an example.

Now, that is not to say that you can't distribute Configs instead of the whole package... but with 1.7(or whenever) this is mostly pointless as the server itself will distribute your configs when people try to join(a feature that is pointless for servers that don't have mods with new items, blocks, biomes, potion effects, enchantments, or dimensions, aka a vanilla or mostly vanilla server). Only mostly pointless as some things may not be as easy to match up with server to client as ids, such as alternate recipes and whatnot.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, Private Packs are Private, ergo you don't have to ask for permission. Now, the catch22 is that you have to ensure it's private, not like with FTB's "private packs" where the private bit is just that they aren't as public. You can distribute it, but in a very controlled manner only. Such as for a whitelisted MC server only you can grant permission to join, as a bit of an example.

Now, that is not to say that you can't distribute Configs instead of the whole package... but with 1.7(or whenever) this is mostly pointless as the server itself will distribute your configs when people try to join(a feature that is pointless for servers that don't have mods with new items, blocks, biomes, potion effects, enchantments, or dimensions, aka a vanilla or mostly vanilla server). Only mostly pointless as some things may not be as easy to match up with server to client as ids, such as alternate recipes and whatnot.
And how do you "ensure" that is it private?

nilness

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if anything has changed but if you're talking about a private server modpack, distributed by FTB, I would assume that the information in http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/guidelines-for-private-server-mod-packs.9598/is still FTB's policy. Which means you will need to collect permissions. I'd suggest reading that thread and some of the related threads in that subforum.

Many popular mods have blanket permissions granted, but not all. I went through the process building a 1.5.x pack and by following the guidelines was approved on my first submission. I only had to contact a few mod authors and they were all friendly and amicable.

I'm not 100% certain that this is still the policy - I seem to recall SlowPoke or someone official stating that the process was being revamped with the 1.6 launcher, but I don't recall seeing any updated process announced.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to provide useful info. If anyone has a link to more up to date info I'd be grateful.

And for the OP, just a little friendly advice. Spend some time going through the configs and setting it up for how you and your friends like to play. I firmly believe that config settings are where you can really make a mod pack your own, and provide the subtle difference between just another collection of mods, and a real pack that has character.

Have fun!

Reactions: kaovalin

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
And for the OP, just a little friendly advice. Spend some time going through the configs and setting it up for how you and your friends like to play. I firmly believe that config settings are where you can really make a mod pack your own, and provide the subtle difference between just another collection of mods, and a real pack that has character.

Have fun!

Couldnt agree more. The pack should be balanced for what you and your friends find fun. Don't be afraid to test out a 'beta' collection of the mods, and weed them out. See how few you can have (I weeded out about 20 that were redundant). Play with configs. Ask yourself, if I change this config setting, will I be more likely to use this mod or will I ignore/exclusively use it? The defaults werent necessarily designed with your collection of mods in mind or your playstyle.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm not sure if anything has changed but if you're talking about a private server modpack, distributed by FTB, I would assume that the information in http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/guidelines-for-private-server-mod-packs.9598/is still FTB's policy. Which means you will need to collect permissions. I'd suggest reading that thread and some of the related threads in that subforum.

Many popular mods have blanket permissions granted, but not all. I went through the process building a 1.5.x pack and by following the guidelines was approved on my first submission. I only had to contact a few mod authors and they were all friendly and amicable.

I'm not 100% certain that this is still the policy - I seem to recall SlowPoke or someone official stating that the process was being revamped with the 1.6 launcher, but I don't recall seeing any updated process announced.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to provide useful info. If anyone has a link to more up to date info I'd be grateful.

Have fun!
Agreed. The configs are where an excellent pack is made. Too many packs are just various mods thrown together with no thought to the configs, resulting in common problems such as multiple ore types being generated.