Peat vs. Other Forms of Farming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
or just want to limit loaded chunks... e.g. the difference between a 16x16 farm vs let's say an 18x18 farm would be 1 chunk vs. 4 chunks loaded

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
or just want to limit loaded chunks... e.g. the difference between a 16x16 farm vs let's say an 18x18 farm would be 1 chunk vs. 4 chunks loaded

1 chunk or 4 chunks loaded isn't going to make any noticable difference to even low end machines, and as someone that plays on one I can confirm this. A 16x16 area is perfectly reasonable for a peat farm. It doesn't need to be crammed into a 1x1 area and arguing that the 16x16 is inferior because you have one that only takes up a single block space is just bordering on the ridiculous.

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Waste not, want not.

For a single player world where you live all by yourself in a relatively small area, a 4 chunk difference won't matter. On multiplayer however, where many players have farms, the difference between 100 loaded chunks and 400 loaded chunks could be quite noticeable.

I do still stand by that the math in the original post is wrong, unit cancellation doesn't seem to agree with it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

The difference between an 18x18 tree farm and a 16x16 is that the 18x18 didn't care about chunks. Like, for example, the 18x18 fits entirely in the 3x3 chunk area already being covered by a loader.

The difference in output is minimal.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Whoa whoa whoa, step back a second.

How on earth did you get to this number?

10 engine * 1 peat/engine / 4000 ticks/peat = 0.0025 ticks, sure.

but dividing that by the amount of bog earth..... that does not tell you how fast bog earth creates peat. So unless I missed a step I am highly confused

0.0025 is how much peat the engines require per tick, right?
So that means that, over the course of a tick, one 128 bog earth will have to make 0.0025 peat. To calculate how much this is per block, you have to divide the total amount of peat being produced out evenly amongst each individual block which is producing it. Which is 0.0025/128.

Height doesn't matter unless you're stacking, and since I'm not, height doesn't matter.

Really though, even though there's a bunch of stuff "under" that farm, there's also 50plus y-blocks totally empty (seriously, mined to bedrock) and untold number of blocks above the highest growth point of the tree also empty. The farm is a fraction of the total y-space available and several could be stacked in the same effective area - if I was so inclined.
Yeah, that's true, but I'm very interested in stacking. And the reason why that was relevant was because you can't really compare bog earth against trees, or really anything, unless you can accurately measure exactly how many blocks it requires and how much it produces in those blocks. This is because bog earth requires no additional space, only that water be adjacent to it, therefore peat production is a direct function of how many bog earth you can cram into a single space at a time. Basically, you HAVE to stack bog earth, otherwise it's simply hideously inefficient compared to anything else.

I think it's fair to assume that anybody running 4 boilers is running 4 36HP boilers. In any case, that's what I'm running.
True. :p

You can't discount a fuel source just because I'm not currently using it. It's still being produced, and available for a direct fuel use or scrapping and turning into the wide variety of things produced from that (I just used up 150 stacks of scrap boxes)
I wasn't discounting it- In fact, I was acknowledging it as additional potential that could still be used, and completely guessed that you could probably run one or two additional boilers off of that potential. Which would easily bring it in-line with bog earth in space-efficiency, making the two systems essentially equal. Yours is a lot simpler, though. :p

I chuckle when I see people arguing that their method is better because it uses x amount of blocks less space than someone else's. I mean who the hell cares? Minecraft worlds are nigh on infinite so why try to cram everything into a tiny area? It makes no sense to me at all.
BECAUSE I BLOODY CAN!!!
No, actually, it's because I wanted to share my ideas with others, and hopefully help others improve their own gameplay by exposing them to new ideas they hadn't considered before.
That, and also I wanted to see if my math was right. :p

Because people play on servers with limited maps, or enjoy the challenge of miniaturization, or both.
Oh, and also this.

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Just because the engines require that rate to function continually, does not mean that it is the rate that bog earth converts to peat.

If you can in fact run the engines continually then we know that bog earth converts to peat at a minimum of that rate, otherwise slower.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Just because the engines require that rate to function continually, does not mean that it is the rate that bog earth converts to peat.

If you can in fact run the engines continually then we know that bog earth converts to peat at a minimum of that rate, otherwise slower.
... The number I determined was intended to be the maximum average potential of bog earth per block, on average, based on what numbers I knew, averaged together, oh and did I mention on average? :p
If 128 bog earth is capable of producing 0.0025 peat per tick on average, then nothing else should matter when it comes to determining total average yield per block.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

The difference between an 18x18 tree farm and a 16x16 is that the 18x18 didn't care about chunks. Like, for example, the 18x18 fits entirely in the 3x3 chunk area already being covered by a loader.

The difference between the sizes in output is minimal. It just happened to be the area empty after I moved my bees somewhere else.

active diamond

Jul 29, 2019
the main problem with all 3systems of auto-harvesting is theres no way to tell when the peat has turned
also i was slightly confused did you say that a single block of peat can feed 10peat engines or 128blocks for 10engines?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Whaaaat?
One of my threads was necro-posted?
I FEEL IMPORTANT!!!
I wonder if all this math is still right with recent forestry versions... (assuming it was right to begin with)
Edit: To answer the necropost, i meant 128 blocks for 10 engines. Dont ask where i got that number be cause i dont remember. I think it was from the forestry IRC?
Also, the autofarming methods i detailed above, with the exception of the turtle, simply digs up peat indiscriminately, timed to dig each block in the average amount of time for peat to mature. It then replaces those blocks it dug with unmatured bog earth.
The turtle program would just use the compare function to check blocks for maturity before it dug them.

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
mvEBi.jpg

active diamond

Jul 29, 2019
Whaaaat?
One of my threads was necro-posted?
I FEEL IMPORTANT!!!
I wonder if all this math is still right with recent forestry versions... (assuming it was right to begin with)
Edit: To answer the necropost, i meant 128 blocks for 10 engines. Dont ask where i got that number be cause i dont remember. I think it was from the forestry IRC?
Also, the autofarming methods i detailed above, with the exception of the turtle, simply digs up peat indiscriminately, timed to dig each block in the average amount of time for peat to mature. It then replaces those blocks it dug with unmatured bog earth.
The turtle program would just use the compare function to check blocks for maturity before it dug them.
oh ok thanks for the reply
i have done some testing since and figured out a few things
1-MFR farms can do peat and 2max size (emerald upgrade) farms seem to be able to manage 10-12steam dynamos with the fuel efficeny augments maxed out(witch is over 800RF/80MJ)
2-another promising way to farm peat seems like drone programing as you can get some nice compact farming done for so very cheap but i cant find a way to get the drone to dig the peat
am currently working on using the first method for early power gen and will report back if i notice anything important

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
oh ok thanks for the reply
i have done some testing since and figured out a few things
1-MFR farms can do peat and 2max size (emerald upgrade) farms seem to be able to manage 10-12steam dynamos with the fuel efficeny augments maxed out(witch is over 800RF/80MJ)
2-another promising way to farm peat seems like drone programing as you can get some nice compact farming done for so very cheap but i cant find a way to get the drone to dig the peat
am currently working on using the first method for early power gen and will report back if i notice anything important
pnuematicraft drone? just an excavation command with a block-type filter

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Mfr can do peat? Do you mean with harvester + planter?
But, anyway, compared to back when i made this thread, there has been such a completely ridiculous increase in the number of mainstream mods that can do all of the things, as well as such an abundance of alternative energy sources that i feel there's not much point to this anymore. Remember that the point of this was to be space-efficient energy.
But hey, maybe one of you can prove me wrong.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
But, anyway, compared to back when i made this thread, there has been such a completely ridiculous increase in the number of mainstream mods that can do all of the things, as well as such an abundance of alternative energy sources that i feel there's not much point to this anymore. Remember that the point of this was to be space-efficient energy.
space efficient? even getting max efficiency out of peat you won't beat the self sufficient BigReactor with turbine + laser drill

active diamond

Jul 29, 2019
yup
also peat is still a nice thing while true there are more efficient ways to generate energy there are hundreds and if you just go for the most efficient each time then your probably only going to end up playing like 5energy sources and wheres the fun in that :D?