Overclock Upgrade EU Math?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
So I have an electric furnace, derping around testing things. With 0 overclockers it takes 373EU to convert sand to glass. From the wiki Ive generally come to the understanding 1 overclock upgrade takes 1.6x as much power per item.

So I cut off and top off my MFSU and try with 12 overclockers, results from 10m EU to 9998323EU or 1677EU used. This is only a difference of 4.5x, not even close to 1.6^12. Can someone explain this?

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
The overclocker makes the machines take 1.6 times as much power per tick, not per item. Since the items finish in fewer ticks (.7 times as long per operation) with the overclocker, the total power usage is (1.6*.7)^n times the base power usage (n being the number of overclockers), or 1.12^n after simplification. Of course, there is significant rounding error involved (1.12^12 comes out to ~3.9, but the # of ticks, the EU/tick, or both is being rounded up, so the actual result is higher).

Reactions: Bigglesworth

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
IC2-EU with Overclockers.PNG

For your convenience.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
To add to the above post, you'll lose less power than you might think because when the values for EU usage and time taken are worked out, they are always rounded down. For instance, if some operation normally takes 1 eu/t to do, and you add 1 overclocker, then it should take 1.6eu/t, but this gets rounded down to 1eu/t, the same as with no overclockers. You can see from the above tables, the electric furnace are more energy efficient with 1 overclocker than with none.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
To add to the above post, you'll lose less power than you might think because when the values for EU usage and time taken are worked out, they are always rounded down. For instance, if some operation normally takes 1 eu/t to do, and you add 1 overclocker, then it should take 1.6eu/t, but this gets rounded down to 1eu/t, the same as with no overclockers. You can see from the above tables, the electric furnace are more energy efficient with 1 overclocker than with none.

Is this intended? Seems more like an exploit of rounding than anything (not complaining) Is this a limitation of the API or the mod itself?[DOUBLEPOST=1359481243][/DOUBLEPOST]
Awesome thanks!

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
No, I've never created a bigger list.
I've attached the spreadsheet from which the screenshot was taken, if anyone is interested in the formulas used.

Attachments

• IC2-EU with Overclockers.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: Bigglesworth

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019

Even a better example is the Recycler which you actually have max effective eu use with a single Overclocker coming in at just 32 eu instead of 45 eu! Even a second Overclocker will still make it just 44 eu so about twice as fast at -1 eu per operation! That's like have been said because it's rounded down. I gotta seriously stop with avoiding Overclockers because if you use them with the right machines and the right amount you can get faster speed at a cheaper power cost.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to Advanced Machines in a modpack, using them is strictly superior to using overclockers even with the constant (trivial) power drain they exert on your system. Their standard speed is ideal for general use provided it's not a GregTech dust you want smelted.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Because once you're past that early rounding error stage, it's better to just add a machine.

I mean, you're not standing there watching it, are you? That's so vanilla.
Kinda a conflict of logic there isnt it? If youre not 'standing there' whats the difference between another machine and just adding more overclockers. Energy isnt that hard to come by even in the early stages, and dealing with fewer machines is preferable.

Reactions: arkangyl

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to Advanced Machines in a modpack, using them is strictly superior to using overclockers even with the constant (trivial) power drain they exert on your system. Their standard speed is ideal for general use provided it's not a GregTech dust you want smelted.
Not necessarily if you're playing on a server. If you keep the machines always loaded, the tiny energy drain adds up over the hours. The power usage of normal machine only scales with how much stuff you throw in it. For advanced machines it also scales with the time it's sitting there doing nothing. In fact, over long periods of time (think days), advanced machines will draw several orders of magnitude more power than even heavily overclocked standard ones.

Your solutions pretty much are:
- Do not load your machine room (but then it can't process stuff while you're gone).
- Devise a complicated system that will load/unload the room as needed.
- Turn the machines off when they're not being used (but then you need to wait for them to spin up again when you need them).

In such circumstances I prefer using just overclocked normal machines - although the spike power drain per item is higher, the overall drain on my energy reserves is much less.

(P.S. if you consider energy free, just overclock normal machines to process an item every tick, and they will be clearly superior.)

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Generally Overclockers drop in efficiency after the 4th or 5th OC. If you are really concerned about energy, you should only use 1 or 2 depending on the machine. If you are more concerned about efficiency do not use more than 4 OCs.
And once you did add enough OCs to process 1 item/t your machines internal storage won't be enough to process a second or 3rd item(depending on the machine) which will then need a internal storage upgrade to keep up with the energy needed to process an item.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
What was said above. Also keep in mind that after a certain number of OCs you will also need to add a capacitor upgrade, as the used EU/t will be greather than the built-in capacitor and the machine will slow significantly.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
That is a lot of upgrades maybe you should make a chart of it ( ex: when you should add certain upgrades with a certain amount of overclockers)