Out of memory error on vista x32 bit

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybore Stormshadow

Jul 29, 2019
ok. so. we've all heard this one before. your running vista 32-bit, and your out of memory.

all the forums point to the same thing. that the x64-bit java is REQUIRED to fix the problem.

so. now for my question. what happens if you cant GET the 64 bit java, because you dont have a 64 bit operating system, and (unlike the majority of the people on here, who seem to be rich) cant GET a 64 bit operating system on a whim?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ehm don't really think there's anything to be done. Limit chunkloading distance to lower than default(if not on server)(Not talking about the render distance, although limiting that could help a bit too). The default chunkloading distance is 10 chunks, causing the player to load a massive 441 chunks. I think its changed somewhere in a config file. The simpler the modpack the better. Dont use texturepacks. Limit background processes to a minimum.

Also, updating to 64bit wont help unless you actually have more than the 3GB of ram in your PC. 32bit can only allocate up to 3GB of ram. There's in a simple term not enough numbers in 32 bit to name all the bits on the RAM.
As for people being rich. I think for the most part its more a matter of being... resourceful...

Last edited:

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
what happens if you cant GET the 64 bit java, because you dont have a 64 bit operating system, and (unlike the majority of the people on here, who seem to be rich) cant GET a 64 bit operating system on a whim?
Play a less intensive game
Don't use a texture
Don't run other programs while playing
Turn video setting to Fast
Don't use BoP world
Don't have a lot of extra dimensions
Don't use chunkloaders

64x OS is not much more (if at all) expensive than 32/86x.

Last edited:

cloudbyday90

Jul 29, 2019
ok. so. we've all heard this one before. your running vista 32-bit, and your out of memory.

all the forums point to the same thing. that the x64-bit java is REQUIRED to fix the problem.

so. now for my question. what happens if you cant GET the 64 bit java, because you dont have a 64 bit operating system, and (unlike the majority of the people on here, who seem to be rich) cant GET a 64 bit operating system on a whim?

Lol, what?!? Windows Vista and 7 you can use the OEM 64bit version with the key that comes with your computer. Also, there are Linux varatations you can try out just as well

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Lol, what?!? Windows Vista and 7 you can use the OEM 64bit version with the key that comes with your computer. Also, there are Linux varatations you can try out just as well

That won't work if the key is only for 32bit and not 64bit. It is not the disc that makes it 64bit it is the key.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That won't work if the key is only for 32bit and not 64bit. It is not the disc that makes it 64bit it is the key.
Actually think he might be right. Vaguely remember some Vista licences not being bound to either x64 or x86, but could be used for both. But if it applied to all licences, including OEMs, I don't know.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

MS license keys do not care about 32 bit or 64 bit. All they care about is the version of Vista or 7 you are running. So if you have Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit installed, you can install 64 bit Home Premium as well. MS also allows you to downgrade as well as long as it is the same version again. For example you buy a new PC with Windows 8 Home Premium on it. You can use that license key on Windows 7 Home Premium. If you need the correct installation media do a search for digitalriver vista download. DigitalRiver is MS's official source for their installation media via the web.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
More to the point.
If his cpu/chipset (motherboard) don't allow for 64 bit, then he's stuck with 32 bit.
It would have to be really old then by now, wouldn't it? I'm more thinking that if the PC came with 32bit OEM, it probably don't have more than 3GB of RAM, and then there's no point indeed.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, he is running vista.
Hehe yeah that was my point as well. But I guess the difference between us is that I don't really consider Vista for being old :p
I do believe that at the time of introduction of Vista, all regular chipsets/cpu/whatever were 64bit capable.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe yeah that was my point as well. But I guess the difference between us is that I don't really consider Vista for being old :p
I do believe that at the time of introduction of Vista, all regular chipsets/cpu/whatever were 64bit capable.
While it may not be 'old', it certainly isn't a good idea in the first place.
(Most people, in terms of technology, consider anything over 5 years old to be old) And it's 2 OS's behind current.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
While it may not be 'old', it certainly isn't a good idea in the first place.
(Most people, in terms of technology, consider anything over 5 years old to be old) And it's 2 OS's behind current.
Hehe not trying to defend Vista, I hated it and glad we are over it. But it just didnt feel like it was that many years ago, 5 years? wow time flies :p

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe not trying to defend Vista, I hated it and glad we are over it. But it just didnt feel like it was that many years ago, 5 years? wow time flies :p
Well, it was released at the end of Jan, 2007... so almost 7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.