Option to disable steam boiler explosion.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I had 2 of my steam boilers blow up and I had no idea they could. It wasn't too big of a deal, but I'm still kinda annoyed. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the explosion, or at least a way to regulate it. I can't run my turbine without them and I don't see how I can regulate the temperature of it because it seems to decrease at different intervals depending on which temp its at.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
RailCraft boilers explode when you add water to an empty tank while at temperature. Poor chunkloading is usually the culprit, as your water source unloads, then suddenly loads to cause the explosion.

I'm not sure if there is a config for that. Might look into the MFR Steam Boilers if they are in your pack. They use less fuel, heat up faster, and don't explode (to my knowledge).

Reactions: PierceSG

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I had 2 of my steam boilers blow up and I had no idea they could. It wasn't too big of a deal, but I'm still kinda annoyed. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the explosion, or at least a way to regulate it. I can't run my turbine without them and I don't see how I can regulate the temperature of it because it seems to decrease at different intervals depending on which temp its at.
Which mod are you talking about mattp?

If its railcraft, they don't blow up unless they accept water while running hot and dry.

If its Gregtech, they dont blow up unless they run out of water.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Which mod are you talking about mattp?

If its railcraft, they don't blow up unless they accept water while running hot and dry.

If its Gregtech, they dont blow up unless they run out of water.
I am talking about railcraft. For some reason I thought they could explode even while receiving water... Apparently I have to retire my one aqueous accumulator :p

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
RailCraft boilers explode when you add water to an empty tank while at temperature. Poor chunkloading is usually the culprit, as your water source unloads, then suddenly loads to cause the explosion.

I'm not sure if there is a config for that. Might look into the MFR Steam Boilers if they are in your pack. They use less fuel, heat up faster, and don't explode (to my knowledge).
How much steam does the MFR one produce compare to the biggest RC boiler?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
A MFR Steam Boiler produces 400mb/t Steam. It has a 1x1x1 footprint and costs considerably less to build. It's been a while since I looked up the stats on a RC Boiler, honestly. I rely I my trusty MFR Boilers for all my steam needs now.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
A MFR Steam Boiler produces 400mb/t Steam. It has a 1x1x1 footprint and costs considerably less to build. It's been a while since I looked up the stats on a RC Boiler, honestly. I rely I my trusty MFR Boilers for all my steam needs now.
But... Buttt... What will I fill my large room with?! ;-;
:p

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I made 104 steam boilers with ender fluid conduit set to extract steam and insert water on ALL of them. It took about 45-60 mins to set that up ;-; I also have about 28 transfer nodes on top of 28 water source blocks with EACH of them having a stack of world interaction upgrades and speed upgrades. The fuel for the steam boiler is coal and is being pumped out of two sides of an ender chest with 15 speed upgrades in each. Overkill? I don't know what that means.
I'll post screenshots :3

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I made 104 steam boilers with ender fluid conduit set to extract steam and insert water on ALL of them. It took about 45-60 mins to set that up ;-; I also have about 28 transfer nodes on top of 28 water source blocks with EACH of them having a stack of world interaction upgrades and speed upgrades. The fuel for the steam boiler is coal and is being pumped out of two sides of an ender chest with 15 speed upgrades in each. Overkill? I don't know what that means.
I'll post screenshots :3

So, 104 Boilers, eh? That's a buttload of steam. Where is it going? And what are you using to fuel those bad boys?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To actually answer the OP.

Firstly make sure your boiler is entirely contained within a single chunk. With NEI the f9 key brings up a chunk overlay grid.
Then place an aqueous accumulator directly under your boiler, and set it to pump fluid up into the firebox.
This way- no matter what happens- the boiler will always have a constant supply of water.​

Reactions: Padfoote

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
To actually answer the OP.

Firstly make sure your boiler is entirely contained within a single chunk. With NEI the f9 key brings up a chunk overlay grid.
Then place an aqueous accumulator directly under your boiler, and set it to pump fluid up into the firebox.
This way- no matter what happens- the boiler will always have a constant supply of water.​
I can't do that because I have 4 rows of boilers and don't have room to put tesseracts anywhere besides under the first row, which is pretty redundant since I have a huge about of water generation in the same room

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can you post a few screenshots?
Its easier if I can see what I'm working with.
Yeah I'm having a hard time picturing this.

Celestial is right though: in terms of logistics, you need to prioritize putting your water-supply into the same chunk as your boilers. There's enough room under a boiler for both an infinite-water supply AND a tesseract, unless you're doing 1x1 boilers which I doubt.

If space is an issue, you can always use a small tank buffer instead that receives its water from an infinite supply elsewhere, and then ensure that your boiler feed turns off if your tank runs low (via redstone gate logic or whatever, BC gates are great for this)

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Oh sorry, forgot to mention :3 the water supply IS in the same chunk

Sent from my Thingy using a Thingy.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Here are some screenshots. (everything is chunkloaded with spot loaders FYI. The blocks next to the liquid transfer nodes arent steam tanks :3 They are white antiblocks from ztones. (More pictures underneath the liquid transfer node one.)
2015-07-09_16.22.40.png

Attachments

• 2015-07-09_16.22.46.png
    2015-07-09_16.22.46.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2015-07-09_16.22.53.png
    2015-07-09_16.22.53.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2015-07-09_16.22.59.png
    2015-07-09_16.22.59.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2015-07-09_16.23.09.png