Openblocks Gravestones disappearing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes when you die when flying, openblocks decides to place a gravestone way deep down into a cave. Fairly annoying when you're scrambling around trying to find your inventory.

Also, this is only a few blocks off ground, like 2-3.

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
No offense, but what are you doing, outside of PvP, to die while flying? Just curious.

AshmanTheGuy

Jul 29, 2019
I HATE Fire Bats with a VENGEANCE!

I've also had similar issues with Gravestones. Specifically one spawning when I never died, but it showed my name.

That sent a chill down my spine...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've had a grave not spawn on me when I died on the ground. And the worst part was, it was right outside of my house, where I could have easily gotten my stuff back once I jumped into bed.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
this problem is hard to solve, as the 2 other gravestone mods have the same problem.
if you die near water, the spot where the gravestone wants to randomly spawn might be in a liquid, thus is cannot spawn
you might say then why not just spawn in water? well, what if you died in a lava lake... you'll need fire potions and alot of luck finding the grave back.
but what about normal water? that shouldn't be bad? but what if you died in an ocean biome and you're grave is like 20 blocks under water?

what the graves then usually do is search for another spot to spawn, but further away. this can end up spawning the grave in some very weird and far away spots.
I don't think there's really a fix for this, but what the gravestones could perhaps do is add a waypoint to a player's minimap for locating the grave easier

Reactions: AshmanTheGuy

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
If I recall correctly, grave stones in open blocks are disabled by default because of issues like these.

I highly recommend the GraveStone mod for its implementation. It is very configurable (to the point of saving all your items and placing gravestones in mid-air if there's no other option) and has some fun worldgen options.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If I recall correctly, grave stones in open blocks are disabled by default because of issues like these.

I highly recommend the GraveStone mod for its implementation. It is very configurable (to the point of saving all your items and placing gravestones in mid-air if there's no other option) and has some fun worldgen options.

that's this gravestone mod you're talking about http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1711328-164-smp-gravestone-mod-v244/
there's also this mod http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1762087-164-smpssp-minecraft-graves-die-classy/

the first one adds alot of content, but the aesthetic of the second one is very nice.
but both mods kind of have the same problems. if you've a mod like Tinker's Construct installed, and you're using the knapsack, when you die the content of the knapsack doesn't get put in the grave, rather it just drops to the ground. so mods that add a different kind of storage, or wearable equipment that's different from vanilla will drop to the ground when you die.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even use the TiCo knapsack due to it losing inventory upon death. I've lost primo gear due to that so it's useless to me. I prefer an ender pouch with inception of backpacks or force packs

AshmanTheGuy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even use the TiCo knapsack due to it losing inventory upon death. I've lost primo gear due to that so it's useless to me. I prefer an ender pouch with inception of backpacks or force packs
I agree with this. After learning what happened to a friend when he had a knapsack and died, I never use them anymore. I use the Golden Bag of Holding for most of my on-the-go storage, and an Ender Pouch to send stuff back to my base.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
this problem is hard to solve, as the 2 other gravestone mods have the same problem.
if you die near water, the spot where the gravestone wants to randomly spawn might be in a liquid, thus is cannot spawn
you might say then why not just spawn in water? well, what if you died in a lava lake... you'll need fire potions and alot of luck finding the grave back.
but what about normal water? that shouldn't be bad? but what if you died in an ocean biome and you're grave is like 20 blocks under water?

what the graves then usually do is search for another spot to spawn, but further away. this can end up spawning the grave in some very weird and far away spots.
I don't think there's really a fix for this, but what the gravestones could perhaps do is add a waypoint to a player's minimap for locating the grave easier

My experience is that this is either intended or just bad implementation by Tinker's Construct. Dartcraft's backpacks, for example, will keep their inventory on death. So will any force wrench'd tile entities. Both properly go into and come out of a grave stone from gravestonemod. When the config for ignoring terrain and placing gravestones exactly on the spot of death (regardless of water/lava/mid-air), the grave will be on the same point as the "Latest Death" waypoint from voxel/zan's minimap.