OpenBlocks 1.0.0 released!

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Wow finally tanks with no stupid size, shape, and input and output restrictions! Now that's a one stop shop for tanking up. However I would suggest maybe add upgraded sets of these nifty things. Maybe from iron, gold, and diamond variants that holds more fluid respectively.

Reactions: cloudbyday90

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
How feasible would it be to check for "hot blocks" below the Hang Glider (like lava), and give the player an upward boost when they fly over them (as if riding a thermal?) Maybe some sort of metallic upgrade could be required for balance (otherwise it could get a little OP in the Nether, at least compared to other flight options), but I love the idea of hang gliding over thermals in a volcano biome or something!

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
How feasible would it be to check for "hot blocks" below the Hang Glider (like lava), and give the player an upward boost when they fly over them (as if riding a thermal?) Maybe some sort of metallic upgrade could be required for balance (otherwise it could get a little OP in the Nether, at least compared to other flight options), but I love the idea of hang gliding over thermals in a volcano biome or something!

I had this exact idea, would be so awesome. Thermals could be generated over hot blocks as well as larger bodies of water. Loving the glider already though...specially in combination with a jetpack...boost up high, then glide a few hundred blocks to destination (works wonders for my remote turtle mining operations)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I've taken quite a shine to this little mod, especially the building guide, which is a godsend for builders like me.

It does suffer from a set of issues though, which I'd like to address with a similar amount of suggestions.

First off, I like to build big, and when I say big, then I mean mega-massive. Sadly, turns out a spheroid as small as 128x128x20 can kill my semi-powerful gpu like it was nothing and leave it weeping, barely chugging along at 0,1-2 fps.

Alternatively, moving out of the shape makes it vanish, which is highly annoying in situation where you can't place blocks from the inside of the shape.

So, would it be at all possible to have the helper blocks only render when I'm within say... 10 blocks from them? This would also solve the problem of people using the block for aesthetics which you probably wanted to solve by introducing issue 3

Which is that there's no persistency to the block, it loses its settings when you move out of a certain range, which is kinda annoying when you have to go home for more materials, as a matter of fact, it'd be best if the block retained its settings, even after you breaking it. This issue is especially jarring when you're working on something big - 130 right clicks after every time you leave for a leak ain't fun, even if you're just holding the button.

And that in turn leads me to... Well, I'm strongly against GUI's, but this block really deserves one. Selecting sizes by typing them in would be amazing.

Since we're speaking of GUI's, there's two more settings which would help a builder greatly and I don't think selecting those would fit into the hold RMB schemata. The first is "even shapes". A simple button, which'd let you centre the shape off to the sides of the block would make this very easy to use indeed. Let's face it, using 4 building helpers next to each other for a modestly large, even cylinder could kill any computer. Let's not even get into how it's impossible to even set 'em up like that without a GUI. Oh man, and even spheres?

The second would be... semi-existing blocks. This would make the helper blocks similar to tall grass, in that you can right click a helper block, building block in hand to "replace" the helper block. This'd be exceedingly useful, especially for sky builds.

Hugs'n'kisses <3

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the feedback Poppycocks. I'll share it with the rest of the team.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Some exciting new developments for OpenBlocks at the moment.

We're currently on version 1.0.3, which can be downloaded from here: http://www.openblocks.info/openblocks/downloads

We're also getting a 1.6.2 version ready, which has some really fun new items and blocks:

Sonic Glasses (created by boq):

Item Cannon:

Vacuum Hopper:

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
I am glad that you made it into forgecraft server! :) I hope that OpenBlocks will be a part of FTB Modpacks soon.

BTW, I don't know if it is still a case, but my OpenBlocks tank didnt use to load its content on SSP like 70% of the times, a few relogs usually solved the problem.
And final question, will the custom tanks come back? It was a great feature to make basically any closed space a tank.