One chunk can't interact with the environment

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
I logged into my FTB (DW20 pack version 1.10.0) today for the first time in a while and found that inside my 'home', I was stuck. I could open the door, but couldn't go through it, I could try to break blocks, but nothing happened, couldn't open up chests or machines, but I COULD interact with my ME terminal. Most of these were typical lag symptoms, but still present after restarting MC, as well as the whole server, so I used the console to TP out of my 'cage' to the coordinates of a nearby waypoint I had set, and there, I could go through the door. After some wandering and testing, I isolated the problem down to a single chunk. Basically, inside this one chunk, nothing works - can't break blocks, while I can open the wooden door, I can't go through it, etc. Everywhere I've tried outside that chunk works fine.

Any thoughts as to why it's doing this? Any chance of an easy fix that doesn't involve destroying the chunk or region?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Any chance you're running this on a multiplayer server with FTBUtils? If another player claimed your chunk, for whatever reason, it might cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
erindalc, unfortunately, I do not know when this started and my backups are limited, so the idea of deleting the chunk is almost tantamount to deleting the whole world since a lot of 'stuff' is in that particular chunk... which I'd rather not do if there's any other option.

Someone Else, I don't know what FTBUtils is, but while this is a MP Server, the only other person that has access to the server is my niece, and I KNOW she wouldn't know how to do such a thing, so it's something else.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Is this chunk the chunk you spawn in?
The minecraft server, if there is at least one operator listed in OPS.txt, will protect an area around spawn, the radius can be specified in server.properties.
From the server console /OP your own character, as an OP you should be able to build in the protected zone.

Reactions: papadave

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, nowhere near spawn (unless it spontaneously moved). This chunk is where almost all of my machines are. My power plant is in it, so if it can't be saved, I might as well start a new world.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
erindalc, unfortunately, I do not know when this started and my backups are limited, so the idea of deleting the chunk is almost tantamount to deleting the whole world since a lot of 'stuff' is in that particular chunk... which I'd rather not do if there's any other option.

Someone Else, I don't know what FTBUtils is, but while this is a MP Server, the only other person that has access to the server is my niece, and I KNOW she wouldn't know how to do such a thing, so it's something else.
When you log into the server, does the word "Wilderness" appear briefly at the top right corner of the screen? If so, you've definitely got FTBU on the server.

When you step into the affected chunk, does your niece's username appear at the top corner of the screen? If so, she's claimed the chunk. She might've done it by accident.
I'm not familiar enough with FTBU to have any idea how to go about revoking other players' claims on chunks, but if you're an op on the server, there should be some way to do it.

If neither of the above happen, I guess the issue is something else. You might be able to move all of your stuff out of that chunk by way of something like AE spatial storage or Blood Magic teleposers, and then either reset the chunk one way or another or just move your whole base to another location.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands

FTB Utilities allows you to claim chunks via a graphical user interface. Basically by clicking on icons that appear next to your character inventory screen. Are you suggesting your niece is unable to do this? That seems rather unlikely to me. It can even be done by accident.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Someone Else, I think you just hit on it. I did notice that her screen name appeared on my screen when I stepped into the chunk. Now that's making sense.

I've never used FTBU, so to be honest, didn't even know it was installed or how to use it. Now that I poked around, I found it. Guess I'll have to log in as her and unclaim chunks.

Thanks for the help.

papadave

Feb 18, 2020
Is this chunk the chunk you spawn in?
The minecraft server, if there is at least one operator listed in OPS.txt, will protect an area around spawn, the radius can be specified in server.properties.
From the server console /OP your own character, as an OP you should be able to build in the protected zone.
Thanks! It really helps me out! I was confuse it for a long time