Old player returning to Minecraft... what's up?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I used to play minecraft quite a bit but stopped playing sometime last year. I picked up an old 1.6 instance I had last week and had quite a lot of fun with it so know I am planning on making a new 1.7 instance.

I have noticed some changes to familiar mods, like Thermal Expansion and a whole load of mods I never heard of before. I am excited to explore these changes for myself but I don't like to go in blind so if any of you wouldn't mind describing some of the cool new things you can find in any of the FTB modpacks I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Not a whole lot, really. Most devs have been working so hard just to get 1.7.10 versions working, that they haven't put a lot of effort into new stuff.

I think the main thing 1.7.10 brought was a significant drop in performance.

One of the next big things, is that Project E is out. ( EE2 for 1.7.10 ) It is still quite buggy though, but pretty much everything is there. I don't recommend using Alchemical Bags unless you can cheat in stuff, because they love to lose their inventory.

You managed to miss the interesting gap of having no itemducts/conduits/fluiducts from thermal expansion. They just released those yesterday. ( This does mean plenty of 1.7.10 modpacks won't have them in yet, but they are available now. ) This included some interesting tweaks to them all. ( It all wasn't that bad actually though, since there were plenty of alternatives for all of it. )

MJ is completely gone now. Even Buildcraft has switched over to RF.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Botania is even more awesome, Ender IO got big without TE conduits, FTB pack choice seems split as there wasn't a flagship/kitchen sink pack till just recently. Oh, and BuildCraft had a great revival: even better gates, robots, and a working builder!

Reactions: PierceSG

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
didn't TE get split into multiple components? I frequently see people posting that they cannot find this or that conduit, not realizing that TE doesn't come in one big package anymore.

(Could be wrong, I dont use TE much these days)

Reactions: Padfoote

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
didn't TE get split into multiple components? I frequently see people posting that they cannot find this or that conduit, not realizing that TE doesn't come in one big package anymore.

(Could be wrong, I dont use TE much these days)

Correct. There is the core "Thermal Expansion" with all of the machines, tesseracts, etc. , the world gen and resources ( required ) "Thermal Foundation", and the ducts are in "Thermal Dynamics".

Most people could not find conduits though because "Thermal Dynamics" was not released until a couple of days ago. Word is still getting out that it even exists now.

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Even so, a lot of changes to the ducts that people are used to back in 1.6.4.

Like the most basic fluid ducts can't handle fluids that are either too hot or too cold.

New ducts that can transfer RF and items at the same time.

New ducts that transport items ( or teleport? ) faster by consuming RF.

Different kinds of servos as well as tiers.
Basically, treat Thermal Dynamics like a new mod.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a lot of neat changes. Botania is a mod I never tried before and I am looking forward to giving it a try. I was trying to boot up a third party modpack earlier but it didn't work so I am gonna try one of the FTB packs and manually add some of my favourite missing mods and hopefully I will see for myself what you all are talking about. Have the FTB packs updated with the new Thermal Dynamics changes yet?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a lot of neat changes. Botania is a mod I never tried before and I am looking forward to giving it a try. I was trying to boot up a third party modpack earlier but it didn't work so I am gonna try one of the FTB packs and manually add some of my favourite missing mods and hopefully I will see for myself what you all are talking about. Have the FTB packs updated with the new Thermal Dynamics changes yet?

Infinity has updated and has Thermal Dynamics now.

...New ducts that transport items ( or teleport? ) faster by consuming RF.

Yes, teleport ( so it's instant. ) That's the "Warp" itemduct.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019

For third party packs, I use SolitaryCraft through ATLauncher as it's made for mix and matching mods and personally I prefer my packs weightier than the more recent FTB packs (which I completely understand is largely for tech support and stability reasons).

Botania has really become a shining example of a great mod with a really quick development cycle. It's got excellent content, support, and assume unique mechanics/flavor.

Tinker's Construct has always been one I'd my favorite mods, but I've really been enjoying the crossbow it added.

Also, I don't remember if OpenBlocks' hang glider was a thing then, but if not that's definitely a fun toy.

Reactions: casilleroatr