Oil Spurts and Geyzers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Raydonman

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed that oil is far less frequent than tekkit was, and I wasn't sure if it's just luck of the draw with the seed you choose, or if it has anything to do with other mods added? Does ExtraBiomesXL incorporate things like rubber trees and oil spurts?

If there is a config spot to increase the amount of oil spurts, please let me know where to change that, because I went about 4000 blocks and found about 5 spurts.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually found just as many oil wells as I did in an older Tekkit world. At one point I had three of them within viewing distance of each other. Definitely no shortage. So either I am unusually lucky, or you are unusually unlucky ;)

ExtraBiomesXL works with oil, by the way. I've found multiple wells in a wasteland biome.

Sadly, while you can turn Buildcraft worldgen on and off, there's no setting for frequency.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Some oil gen is terrain based- I've always found most of my spurts in water, you get some on land. Set your minimap to a bigger scale and look for black spots, however it is mostly luck- I've only ever found a nearby 30 block geyser in my test worlds.
(its also randomised- so the same seed has different spurts)

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
To echo and emphasize what Celestialphoenix said, I can say from experience that using the same seed repeatedly and gen a fresh world, every single one will have independent oil generation and locations. It is not tied to worldgen in any way that is tied to the seed used.

Fuzzzie

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen oil just about everywhere, but it tends to show up in certain biomes a little better. There's no shortage of it, and with all the mods given to you there are many, many ways of getting it to where you want it.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
I'm living next to a pretty big ice plains biome and the stuff is everywhere, I think it is more common in certain ExtraBiomesXL biomes. If you're having trouble in the overworld try a few single biome Mystcraft ages and see what you come up with. Desert is a good one to start with.

MCJinzha

Jul 29, 2019
I have a desert Mystcraft world, but it generates oil lakes instead of the geysers, I personally prefer the geysers for my oil, I'll try an ice plains biome.