Nuclear Power DW Style

SlipperyJim

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,

We've been following DW's current LP and decided to build a reactor the same as he did. However, on testing it seems we're getting about 450(ish) EU which seems awfully low when compared to say a top tier solar panel.

Is he using a different version of the modpacks than 'vanilla' FtB? Does anyone have any tips for reactor design?

Regards,

The Jimbat
Fission for Answers

Cloud

Jul 29, 2019
Forgecraft might have different config settings on the nuclear reactor than Ftb.
Forgecraft also have many mods that are not part of ftb beta pack a (redpower2...)

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
I would say a MKI or MKII reactor is more early game than the hybrd and above solars. If you have the iridium/uu matter to make the solars, then no reason not to.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I remember 1.2.5 times where you could do a reactor output 2040 eu without changing config...

SlipperyJim

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to remember pumping ice into a core full of uranium surrounded by ice blocks and having no other cooling (thanks EE!). Fun times!

I'll need to work out a comparison between costs but solar looks like a much more viable option for me as things stand.

The Jimbat
Faces the Math

SlipperyJim

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm - no doubt I am missing the point but surely all that would be is another way of storing the power not increasing output?

The Jimbat
More Power!

SlipperyJim

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see - now that *is* an interesting thought!

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks Count!

The Jimbat
To the Test World - Away!

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Using lapis is only worth it if you make it with scrap-fed massfab.

SlipperyJim

Jul 29, 2019
Something to look into definitely - thanks for pointing me in this direction!

The Jimbat
Directionally Challenged

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
The setup DW20 has been using was posted originally at the IC2 forums: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745 (2nd recipe, nicknamed "The Beast")
According to the planner, it should produce 64 million EU at 320 EU per tick over 2 hours and 46 minutes or so.

If you're using gregtech, you can switch to 4 Dual Plutonium cells and produce 96 million EU over 5 hours for half the uranium cost. Do not use quad plutonium cells, this setup will not handle that much heat.
Another viable option, if you're centrifuging your uranium for the extra plutonium/thorium, is to use quad thorium cells. You'll produce the same 64 million as the uranium, but over 14 hours.

It's a good setup that doesn't use up components or require any attention. You can squeeze more EU per uranium in some more elaborate setups, but I prefer a simple setup that doesn't require any fuss. I turn mine on and fill up the 60 mill or so in my Lapis storage machine and that usually lasts me a few days of general machine use and tool/armor recharge. Your mileage may vary depending on what you're running.

Reactions: zhiv

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I remember 1.2.5 times where you could do a reactor output 2040 eu without changing config...

here you go. the coolant cells have to be cycled over to another reactor for cooling them down (or dump them in lava if you feel like wasting them) but the output is 2k/t.
you can go even higher with a redstone gobbling version. the trick is to put it on a timer so that you can cycle whatever items need cycling before the thing goes boom on you.
There is no config trickery involved in this setup.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Can you make quads out of re-enriched? What happens if you centrafuge re-enriched?

You can make 1 thorium cell from 2 near-depleted uranium cells. I don't believe you can use re-enriched for anything except trying to convert them back to normal uranium cells with a breeder reactor.