not sure how to try it out

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a tech person but i really want to try FTB, I currently have a vanilla LP server I play on with friends and dont want to mess it up. Does FTB create its on file that will not mess up my vanilla LP? or do i need to do something special to be able to switch back and forth.

incinerat

Jul 29, 2019
take a look at this mod spotlight..
it should give you a general idea about how the modpack works, i havent tried to make a server on FTB yet so im not completely shure but i dont think you will overwrite anything in your vanilla server, i would recomed trying it on a different computer and see what happens :D

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Provided that you put the FTB stuff in a different place to you LP stuff, nothing should be overwritten server-side. If you use the launcher, it makes an isolated instance of minecraft, and doesn't touch the current setup.

That said, ALWAYS backup before making any changes.

Also, FTB will require a different instance of MC running on the server (i.e. they will be two different programs running, and, on most paid servers, two different accounts/packages).

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
If the others want to play FTB on the server i'll look at upgrading it, but for now just a single player to get the feel of it, just didnt want the mc files on my pc to be over written or have ftb interfere with my normal mc files.

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
so i dove in and it is pretty awesome, lot more difficult than just watching for sure on getting stuff done, i decided to use the mind crack edition which i've noticed greg tech is different than earlier versions i've watched, I've heard it being called hard mode, are there 2 modes to greg tech now? or is the new recipes the only ones now. if there are 2 recipe versions of greg tech where can i get the original.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
People are calling it hard mode because of the harder recipes from what it changes in vanilla, IC2 and possibly some other things. Easy mode would be without the recipe changes, which basically just gives you another tier of machines and an even higher tier of power.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
<path to your FTB installation>\MindCrack\minecraft\config\GregTech

Have fun playing around with the options. Most should be self-explanatory.

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
almost self explanatory, not familiar enough with it to feel comfortable enough to mess with it, dont wana screw it up..

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Bring in the specific questions, then we can answer them specifically :)
You want to edit the recipes.cfg
# ic2recipes #
- The massfab can be reactivated here (it is disabled by default, so you need the way more expensive matterfabricator instead)
- Power needed for matterfab (default 16.6 mio per UU) can be edited in the gregtech.cfg, section #features#.
# storageblockcrafting #
- Here you can reenable the option to craft 9*material -> storageblock in a crafting table.
# storageblockreversecrafting #
- Here you can reenable the option to craft storageblock -> 9*material.
# usefullrecipes #
- I'd like you to have a look at the options containing the word "expensive". Set them to false to get the old recipes again.

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
thank you, that was very helpful, i may play with that in a seperate load and see what happens,
as far as expensive i was refering to mostly gregtech as that was where most the items ive seen watching ppl play on youtube, such as the quary, macerater and such,
i am conflicted in the fact of which i want to do, if i go with the old reciipes rather than the new ones my game could climax a lot quicker than going with the new harder recipes which i dont want, though starting out trying to learn all this even the old isnt that easy as that is a lot of stuff to learn up front to get started.
the big question would be over time will the old easier recipes disappear and only the newer harder remain, if that is the case i dont want to move backwards but only forwards.