Nostalgia

C

Closet Gamer

Rules!
Score starts at 50

Each reply posts something nostalgic from their childhood with a little background - if it inspires nostalgia to the person replying they add 1 to the score. If they don't know wtf your dusty old brain is referring too then they deduct a point and take their turn.

Each point you earn is an internet point redeemable at forums worldwide - just mention your contribution to the internet and receive instant respect from your peers.

Reset at 0 or 100, just for fun :)

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
49. Oddly, though I played a lot of lemmings, I had a quick listen to bits and none of it brought back any memories - perhaps the PC version we had didn’t have the same music, I don’t know!

Having the discussion of music soundtracks though... (hope this link works from my phone):

I remember when I first heard this; we had DooM on my computer, but we didn’t have a proper sound card, so it was only at a friends house that I first got to appreciate the wonderful, fast paced music for E1 M1 that just throws you right in there.

And here is the music track from the moment I knew I’d love the DooM 2016 game :) it’s a slow build, but worth it when it kicks in (about 0:38). The only downside is that it’s missing the cocking of the shotgun at the apex of the music that just made me go “YEEEEEES”

C

Closet Gamer

49. Oddly, though I played a lot of lemmings, I had a quick listen to bits and none of it brought back any memories - perhaps the PC version we had didn’t have the same music, I don’t know!

Having the discussion of music soundtracks though... (hope this link works from my phone):

I remember when I first heard this; we had DooM on my computer, but we didn’t have a proper sound card, so it was only at a friends house that I first got to appreciate the wonderful, fast paced music for E1 M1 that just throws you right in there.

And here is the music track from the moment I knew I’d love the DooM 2016 game :) it’s a slow build, but worth it when it kicks in (about 0:38). The only downside is that it’s missing the cocking of the shotgun at the apex of the music that just made me go “YEEEEEES”

50 that hit the spot! Doom was fantastic... I remember trying to get it to run on my dad's PC... The only other program he had on it was Encarta 95 and Coral draw!

What about this one! I had hundreds of these growing up. They were all over my school for a long time
d12eb64963e0a9c39ffa25ff1ed9baf4.jpg

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
51. Boom - you got me :D Yep. Ah Vampire...

The pic I posted was of the 1991 Basic set - its how I first learned about and got into D&D.

Hmm Now you've got me thinking... do you remember this beauty?

Cover.jpg

Reactions: Golrith

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
49 I do not know of that, but it sounds suspiciously close to daemon, so I think you might actually know about Warhammer...

Perhaps you’ve heard of...
9A3F87D3-2002-4709-A9F0-C1E4361CB48A.jpeg

H

Harrysdog

48. I feel like I am not allowed to post here. im only 17 and only post word and live outside of usa.Also marvels have a player book? TAMN.
also anyone know chin-chan?

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
47 Don’t feel like you can’t post here. You don’t have to be as old as the thing you are nostalgic about. For instance, I wasn’t even born when the book I posted was made (Also, btw, that book was for an old TTRPG called Marvel Super Hero RPG, which was made in the mid 80’s by TSR). And GamerwithnoGame is from the UK (or Scotland, can’t remember, but my money is on UK). You actually don’t need to post a picture here, but I’m pretty sure the only reason people did is because the first few post were videos, and posting pictures kept with a similar format. But you don’t need to post a picture.

Anyone heard of a little game called Magic: The Gathering (the 1997 video game)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So, I'm undecided whether to give this an up or a down, because while I've never heard of or played the video game, certainly the card game gives me huge nostalgia! :)

Maybe I'll stick it at 47 still? :)

Yeah.

Does anyone remember the original Diablo, by Blizzard, from 1996?

Also @MrMonsterGuy18: The United Kingdom (the full name being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or just the UK for short), consists of Great Britain (which is the mainland, and contains Scotland, England and Wales) and an area at the top of the island of Ireland, called Northern Ireland. There are other areas like the Isle of Man and the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey which are not part of the UK, but are considered Crown Territories. Most of the other islands around the UK are considered to belong to one of the countries therein and are thus part of the UK. There are also numerous Overseas Territories which do not fall under the banner of the United Kingdom in themselves, but are under the jurisdiction and sovereignty of the UK.

So, in short, if I were to say that I am from Scotland, I am therefore inherently also part of the UK as well :) There are considerations of personal identity; many Scots would take umbrage at being called British (I am not one of those however), but would be outright infuriated if you called them English. There's also whether you were born in a country and what your parentage is. In my case, I was born in Scotland, and my patrilineal line is entirely Scottish, and I have at different times called myself Scottish, and would be considered so by many people. That said, my mother's family is English, with a little Welsh from one of the grandparents, so arguably I could be called "half-English, half-Scottish", depending on whether you consider parental origin more important than birth country. However, none of that takes into account my personal feelings and identity: I consider myself British!

Now, I also have my wonderful burgundy EU and UK passport, so when it comes to that I also consider myself proudly European. But that's gettin' all political now ;)

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
46, Ah, you see, I thought that Scotland broke away from the UK a while back, but I wasn’t sure off the top of my head. But thank you for clarifying it.
I haven’t played the original, but talking about Blizzard made me think, has anyone heard of Stardrive 2 (Not Starcraft, Stardrive)