Noob question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

MajesticDonut

Hello Fellas,

I've played Minecraft on and off since it came out, but never took the time to look into all the mods. Recently I found the mods that Feed the Beast offers and I would really like to get Infinity Evolved. I did try out the current setup with the Curse client and that obviously worked, but I really want a stand-alone server that doesn't rely on my account and that also looked like it's a local game only. I have ESXI and have my current vanilla Minecraft server running on MS Server 2012 R2 along with many other things. I found the article on the Server_Guide on the Wiki but that looks like it involves using an old client that doesn't exist anymore? Is it possible to get these mods working on a vanilla MC server, or am I just missing something completely? Any help would be great.

Cheers!

T

Techly88

Hello Fellas,

I've played Minecraft on and off since it came out, but never took the time to look into all the mods. Recently I found the mods that Feed the Beast offers and I would really like to get Infinity Evolved. I did try out the current setup with the Curse client and that obviously worked, but I really want a stand-alone server that doesn't rely on my account and that also looked like it's a local game only. I have ESXI and have my current vanilla Minecraft server running on MS Server 2012 R2 along with many other things. I found the article on the Server_Guide on the Wiki but that looks like it involves using an old client that doesn't exist anymore? Is it possible to get these mods working on a vanilla MC server, or am I just missing something completely? Any help would be great.

Cheers!

No you can't just "hot plug" an existing vanilla server with mods and expects it to run. It need to run a Forge server in order for the modded server to runs. The best way to do this for "stock" packs is to download the server and run the .bat (since you said your running a Windows server).

Reactions: MajesticDonut

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure what you are asking for here. Or what you are talking about.

By definition you can't have mods on vanilla server as it's no longer vanilla.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Fellas,

Cheers!

There are servers that are "Vanilla" in the sense that they allow vanilla clients to connect, but they have plugins that modify the minecraft experience. This is completely NOT the kind of mods that FTB is involved with. Plugin based servers are Cauldron, Bukkit and others.

Modpacks like Infinity Evolved are based around a modding environment called Forge. Most Forge mods require simultaneous installation on Server and Client (although there are client only and server only forge mods). The FTB Launcher lets you directly download a pre-built server for you to run locally for most mod packs (Not sure where this is in the Curse Launcher that, regretfully, seems to be gaining prominence). Also, the Forge installer (from minecraftforge.com) itself makes it trivially easy to create a forge enabled server that you can copy your own mods / modpack into.

Running a FTB or Forge server is pretty much exactly the same as running a vanilla server - there is a .jar file that must be executed with some parameters. Given that you seem to be running your current server in a VM, you might want to look at a tool like McMyAdmin that provides a web frontend to the server that lets you remotely see CPU load, stop and restart the server automatically, as well as perform backups.

Last edited:
M

MajesticDonut

Thanks guys that's pretty much what I was looking for. Like I said i'm very new to this and hadn't even heard of Forge until now. I have a Forge server set up with the FTB mod I chose installed as well. I aslo installed the client on a different pc,but I'm getting a few errors when I launch into the Forge client. I haven't done much investigating into why i'm getting them yet. I'll dig more when I get a chance to look at it again.

Thanks!